Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the Air Force from 1979-1983. I was a Security Policeman (Now Security Forces) and I was also on a Special Operations Team called EST (Emergency Service Team) where I had two positions. My main position was unit sniper and if I was not needed for that I was the number two man on the entry team (which means I was the second in after stacking up). EST is basically an Air Force SWAT team.

I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage, Alaska for all four years. My first post was at a listening station to the USSR on Elmendorf. Intresting stuff happens at a post like that but if I told any of you I'd have to...well, I think you know.:laughing:

About 1994 I joined the Iowa Army Guard and was a Combat Medic. I got a medical discharge a little before some of our unit went over to Iraq.

I did much later go to Afganistan but that was as a plumber for KBR. That was about ten months ago.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
USAF... Stationed @ Mt. Home AFB, Idaho...
Fixed Comm/Nav & ECM electronics on F-111's until a couple of bad hearing tests got me booted off the flight line...

After that...

Got out in '79

Getting off the flight line probably wasn't a bad thing...
As I understand it Plumbers do better in civilian life than Electronic Countermeasures Technicians...:laughing::thumbup:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
USAF... Stationed @ Mt. Home AFB, Idaho...
Fixed Comm/Nav & ECM electronics on F-111's until a couple of bad hearing tests got me booted off the flight line...

After that...

Got out in '79

Getting off the flight line probably wasn't a bad thing...
As I understand it Plumbers do better in civilian life than Electronic Countermeasures Technicians...:laughing::thumbup:
After I read F-111 I knew you must be an old guy.

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
I was in the vocational trade club in high school and never considered military service however alot of my friends in my senior class signed up for the national guard for the sign bonus money and the free college. I told them get ready to go to war...they laughed at me. All but two guys anyway...thats why they signed up,they wanted to go to battle. They all ended up in the 1st gulf war and the two guys that were gung ho went to iraq this time also. One guy was in delta unit ODA 2015. Bad azz mofo's

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Marine, 1982-86. Camp Pendleton Ca., 1st FSSG, Okinawa Japan for a year, desert training in 29 palms for 3 months. Mostly drove a fork lift, I kept asking for a 50 cal. to mount on it but they kept saying no.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
USMC 1972-1976 Parris Island then Quantico. Worked in food service and supply. Tried to get transferred into the grunts but wouldn't let me. Favorite Time is when I was in boot camp.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
They used to fly F111's out or Pease AFB (in my back yard) Plane had an nasty reputation early on. The ground following radar would screw up. Took a few years to work the bugs out but in the end the plane wound up being a real work horse for the Airforce. Quite a few are still in service in foreign countries.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
USArmy 1980 to 1985, E-5
Training Fort Bliss
Stations, Fort Lewis Wa, Germany
MOS 51R (Interior Electrician, (funny how I became a Plumber)
14J (Air Defense Tactical Operations Center Operator)
Held a secret clearance.
Was an armorer, I knew the ends and out of all the weapons in the small armsroom, I loved failing the Officers weapons for not being clean enough. :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tnoisaw,
Did you ever run traffic radar along the flight line?
Us radar jamming guys used to play some evil tricks on them... :laughing:
I never ran radar. AF had two seperate flights. One was SP (me) and other was LE(law enforcement). They did the day to day people patrol. SO's where more resource security, ie jets ect.

I use to use my hand held radio and pretend it was a radar gun just to mess with people.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
They used to fly F111's out or Pease AFB (in my back yard) Plane had an nasty reputation early on. The ground following radar would screw up. Took a few years to work the bugs out but in the end the plane wound up being a real work horse for the Airforce. Quite a few are still in service in foreign countries.
They did have a few problems at first with the TFR and wing box but turned out to be probably one of the best bombers the Air Force has ever had. It could flat out put the bombs on the target. They were so good in fact that in the first gulf war the ratio of fully successful strikes to not fully successful strikes was 3.4:1 compared to the f-117's 1.2:1 ratio... :thumbup:

The Australian Air Force is still flying them out of Base Amberly and they are retiring them the beginning of December 2010.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
when I was still a teenager the housing development behind our house was full of FB111 pilots. Seems like they all pretty much lived there. I remember footage of them dropping bombs in Viet Nam with deadly accuracy. The 111 will be remembered as one of the best planes along with the phantom.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts