Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve bought a house that’s being remodeled and I was curious to see the progress before it’s really done. I noticed that one of the bathrooms has a small closet now that’s hiding the gas tankless water heater. I tried to get answers asking if that’s even safe but hard to find.

it’s a 7GPM Richmond from Menards. Seems to be doing great but I’ve read up on venting and air intake. I’m honestly not sure if this system can be enclosed? It’s got the one big exhaust pipe in the middle but no air intake. I think this makes it a “concentric” vent? So it’s ok to leave inside a closet? If not, can I have a large grate type “window” be installed in the side if the closet? So I don’t have to remove the closet or heater.

Pictures Attached as well as the link to the water heater at Menards.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
4th year apprentice
895 Posts
The models that Richmond markets through Menards are designed to run more efficiently with minimal combustion air. The guy who installed it in the closet knows what he's doing. Just be sure that they don't install a vented louvre in that door. You might have to be around to remind them just in case something falls through the cracks and they send some apprentice to install the door. He might just put one in through force of habit like he is used to doing with other brands. Or just call the GC and have him see to it that it doesn't happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts