Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered my van was broken into recently. The cylinder that takes the key to unlock the front door was missing, I guess they removed it, and were then able to unlock the back doors also but they must have opened those from the front cab (thee is a cage). I was still able to unlock and lock it with my remote. I have not started my business yet so I didn't have much to steal. They got a ryobi circular saw, car battery trickle charger and a couple of those plastic briefcase organizers.
I'm wondering what security features I should install in my 2015 chevy express cargo van? It has windows you can see through in the cargo area. At first I was thinking of having those cages installed, but I think it's a better idea to block off the windows with white film (to match the rest of the van) and then maybe screw plywood on the inside of the van? I figure it's not really necessary to be able to see through the windows when driving, just use the side mirrors.
Should a security system be professionally installed? Gps trackers? Cameras? additional locks? sensitive alarms? I park it outside in a parking lot of the apartments that I live in in a decent area of Denver.

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,326 Posts
you go buy that steel cage type of metal that they use in prison busess
and cut them to the right size and them bolt them to the inside of every window
I had to use holey strapping to secure mine with sheet metal screws but if the
broke out the iwindow they had to deal with the heavy duty cage wire...

If you have the front and back cordoned off so they cant get into the back
then its game over for them They also make those special locks tha t go on the back and
side doors that go on and are impossible to break into....

they really dont like seeing that prison type of cage wire , because it reminds them
of the last time they went to jail....

·
Super Moderator
9,627 Posts
A few threads but straight to the point :

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Like everyone has said, put cages over the windows, block off the cab area from the back, and use pucklocks on the doors.

The cheapest, relatively high security padlock/pucklock option is to use the key/core from a LOTO lock. A LOTO lock is one of the colored plastic locks you use to lock out machinery in an industrial setting. The cores in the MasterLock LOTO locks are very tough to pick.

You buy a Masterlock brand LOTO lock for 10$ and put the core inside of a good padlock or pucklock. I found a Masterlock 930 and did this. The only downside is that each lock will take a different key because you can't get them copied.

Other than the LOTO locks, Masterlock brand(And American Lock, ownded by Masterlock) locks have crap cores, easy to pick/bypass.

OR FIND A GOOD LOCKSMITH to put locks on your van.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MOD EDIT : Duplicate thread

I have a Chevy express with a metal divider between the cargo area and cabin. I also have windows all around the cargo area. I was thinking of what I was going to do about heavy duty locks. Should I spend the money for the remote control deadbolts or should I get the something on the exterior that the thieves can see?

It seems like it would be better to have say 4 of these puck locks. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Master-Lock-9-06-in-Steel-Keyed-Padlock/3056631 (50 bucks each at lowes) 2 on the back doors and 2 on the side. The remote dead bolts are 5 times more expensive, in addition they don't seem like a better choice than the type of lock displayed on the exterior, because the thieves still cause damage from trying to pry open the doors. If they see the exterior locks, hopefully they would just move on. Like I said I would do 2 on each door to make it a little harder to break into.

Then I was thinking of blocking off the doors windows with plywood, but the more I thought of it, would being able to see on the inside really effect wither the thieves will break in? Thieves would never climb in and out of a broken window right? They would only break a window in order to open a latch on the door, but if they knew they would have to break at least 2 puck locks in order to get into the cabin, it seems unnecessary to reinforce the windows with plywood.

Is there anything I'm not thinking of?

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,326 Posts
put the heavy duty "prison bus" type metal screens on the inside of all the windows...
just bolt or screw the hd screens to the metal doors on the inside.
they would have to bash through screens making some serious noise...
Plywood they will just punch out and reach in to grab what they can....

the puck locks would be a wiser choice too

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just realized if you press "reply" on a thread it will show up at the top of the threads for that forum and will be relevant, so now I know for the future. I had assumed no one would see a reply to a thread I had started weeks ago. I'm used to plbg where that doesn't happen so I assume I should start a new thread or no one will see it.
When I first started with this forum years ago, I noticed it took a few weeks to get many responses, so I got in the habit of waiting a week or two before looking at the question I asked to see if I have responses.
The reason I don't participate in other members threads is that i figure I'm not knowledgeable at this point to give others advice. Bad advice is so much worse than no advice. I spend lot of time on here but it's reading old posts in the business section for the most part. One guy asked about how to do isometric drawings, which I was able to answer for him, because I knew.
I always look at the responses to my questions. Usually a few times over a chunk of time to see if I asked a question before, or to see if I pick up on things I didn't notice the first time. I really don't see many questions asked of me overall.

Although I appreciate forums like this and the knowledge one can gain from reading old posts, the reality is I often don't get responses to the questions I'm asking, so maybe your reading a thread thinking I got a response but from my point of view I'm not getting a response to the specific question I'm asking, which I'm not complaining about really because I realize this is totally free service, I'm just saying if it seems like I'm asking the same question, it's only because to me, I'm not getting my question or questions answered.

For instance in the above question about van security, from my perspective I am asking very different questions from the first post to the next one a month later. I got my van broken into for the first time about a month ago so I asked what people use for their vans security. I also looked up any other threads and i only found one related to the topic of van security on this forum. You had wrote a lot on that thread and it made me change my mind about cameras. Then a few weeks go by and I've pondered it over (alarms, cameras, puck locks, remote deadbolts) , and I think to myself hmmmm if I put TWO puck locks on each door I wonder if this will affect wither a criminal will even try to open the van. I have never heard of that or read about it, so I asked this new nuanced question about 2 locks versus one lock on the exterior. That is the specific question I'm asking.

The other specific thought I had was wither to put plywood or a cage over the windows. I was in the back of my van a week ago thinking of what my plan of attack will be. On that day I decided I will need to go buy a few sheets of plywood and cover all the interior windows. Then the next day I get to thinking...wait a minute, I might not need cages or plywood...
..wouldn't thieves usually break a window for the sole purpose of opening the latch on the inside? and if they realize the inside latch will do them no good (since exterior puck locks are displayed) to open the door they would simply move on?
Master mark made a point that they will still grab everything within arms reach of the broken window, which is a good thing to consider, but still makes me wonder if a criminal knew he would not gain fully body access to the inside of the cargo area would he even bother busting the window?

So from my perspective I'm not seeing anyone comment on the 4 points I was making and seeking specific response to.

1. Two exterior puck locks versus one and how this would effect wither the thief decides to try to break into your van
2. Buying remote control dead bolts are not displayed on the exterior and therefore it would seem criminals would take a crowbar and damage the hell out of your door therefore I'm thinking exterior locks are better than interior dead bolts?
3. Does seeing inside the vehicle affect wither the criminal breaks in?
4. Is getting exterior locks make it unnecessary to install cages or plywood on the window?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To answer the question of why do I post thread after thread.
I do ask questions for my own selfish reasons wanting my questions answered, but I also feel it's not a bad thing and is only benefitting people. It is content for the site, these are genuine questions I have so someone else could learn from them in the same way I have learned so much from reading old posts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts