Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
Joined
·
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Those of you who don't know the abbreviation:


Volatile
Organic
Compounds


When we use glue and cleaner to solvent weld plastic pipe to fittings, this is one of the joining processes used.


It's harmful, it states in the MSDS sheets that it attacks the nervous system over time in rats.



Lately I'm going in reverse, taking on remodel jobs and even water heater replacements again just to help me with my other two businesses I started this year. I haven't stepped back as far as putting a shovel in my hand and have no intentions to do so. But lately I'm exposing myself to working with glue and cleaner again and I can't stand it. Tonight is a perfect example.


Just tonight, I ran about 60' of pvc for a bar sink vent. Probably 20 glue joints total that took awhile because of the maze it has to go through to get to an existing vent.

The smell of the glue and cleaner.....I went numb to the smell within 15 minutes. Basement is open, a door and window open with a fan that's not doing much for circulation. To "properly" ventilate that basement would take some heavy duty fans to accomplish a true idea of protecting oneself.

I left out around 9 pm, feeling like hell, stopped by to drop a payment off somewhere and my freakin' hearing starts to disappear. Dizzy as all get out, come home, feeling queazy.

Agitated, short-fused and can't concentrate. Being tired doesn't help but my issues are stemming from the exposure I had tonight, I can tell.


Logical thinking would have others recommending a mask to stop this.

Masks, for the most part can really restrict breathing in these cases and it makes it very difficult with such a device obstructing your vision downward. Your eyes still are subjected to the fumes along with your skin.

Short of a hazmat suit, it's pretty hard in some cases to fully avoid the exposure.


To think of the guys who are forced to work in and around these harmful products daily to keep the bills paid is scary. It's bad stuff. It can't be harmless, no way.


One spark and this stuff blows up. The smell will permeate the entire structure and people comment when they first arrive, wondering if the plumber is high. Well, I'm probably high tonight but it's a terrible feeling and I don't miss these days where I plumbed houses every day. Add in Flux burning with anything else plumbing related, I don't feel oblivious to this stuff anymore.

I'd rather smell a big pile of bung dung than these noxious fumes.

Some of you guys I know for a fact are around this stuff a whole lot more than me. Don't use this thread and act like a hero exclaiming you're not affected by these chemicals. It's impossible and this stuff is probably creating asymptomatic situations without any knowledge it's coming.

Just like lung cancer appears....been going on for a long time and when the symptoms show up, you're years late.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,589 Posts
Dunbar, I occasionally get a mild headache, but thats about it.

I'm, NOT proclaiming my herioc ability to survive the crap, I have another point...

You really should get a check-up, this could be something else altogether.
 

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
Joined
·
8,329 Posts
Buy low voc glue and cleaner(Yes, I know there is no such thing as low voc glue and cleaner, but less is better than nothing)

Bring a turbo fan to exchange air and a box fan to circulate.

Try and stay up wind of the joint when ever possible.

Try to keep your face away from the joint.

If working in a cabinet hold your breath while going in to make the joint.

My ability to smell the solvents went out years ago. I can't smell them at all unless my nose is within 12" of the can or joint. Scary stuff.

I've been using organic vapor respirators lately. They seem to work good, but then again I can't smells the fumes when I’m not wearing one so maybe it's just wishful thinking.

Iron poisoning sucks too. Your getting it one way or the other.
 

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
Joined
·
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couldn't sleep very well last night, woke up and puked numerous times, was coming out the other end as well. There was an indication something was wrong when I left last night my hearing was messed up.

Slept all day today, having trouble holding food down, dizzy.


Going back to bed to make this all go away. There's probably something else going on as well but I was fine until I worked with that glue and cleaner. Like I said, I make a diligent point to keep away from it and then spending 3 hours in a basement with not enough air movement probably did me in.
 

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
Joined
·
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go to the doctor ASAP, dude! Don't wait until you're dead.:eek:





Yeah but I have to watch the debate! :laughing:



I swear everytime I ralph my headache goes away and feel quite good but it keeps coming back.


Had to shovel 3 calls away, going to see if I can get back to work tomorrow. Rarely do I ever get sick but I shook a lot of hands yesterday for some strange reason. People stopping by the shop and customers. That sticks out in my mind as well.


night.gif
 

·
Retired Moderator
Joined
·
6,781 Posts
I had something. For a couple of weeks about 10 in the morning my stomach felt funny. I just wanted to lay down and sleep. This went on for a bit, then Sunday night I awoke about 1 in the morning with both ends running wide open! Lasted a couple of days and went away. Flu more than likely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,951 Posts
I would rather take an a:censored: whooping than have it flying out of both ends. Had it last year... horrible
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
I would rather take an a:censored: whooping than have it flying out of both ends. Had it last year... horrible
:thumbsup: Spot on!!!!!! Nothing worse.

I will say for the glue and primer. I do not even notice the glue smell anymore. Only when ventilation is at a minimum. I have wondered what the long term effects are at times. When you think about it being injested through you skin etc....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
it is true that it is not the best stuff. but to be honest. almost anything you touch now a days has a msds sheet on it. an for good reason almost all products come from the same base material... petrol. it wont light up no problem.. unless you have open flame .. you can throw a cig in a can of primer .... wont light. all i try to do is like others said is pre fab peices outside. and well ventilated. i wish there was a really good ... comfortable mask though would be a good idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Their are a few things I do working with PVC glue and cleaner that make me feel a little better. I always wear gloves when doing PVC because I manage to get it on my hands and it can't be healthy. I always put the tops back on the cans. If I'm using it right away I just rest them on top without screwing them down. When going into any confined space with the stuff I usually butter everything up outside and hold my breath for a few seconds in the space to make the connection. Of course ventilation is important and I try my best to keep windows open and a fan going.

I don't do much PVC so it isn't that big of a thing for me. What gets me is dust on re-model jobs especially while they're doing demo or we are chopping cement. To make things even worse they usually have someone sweeping raising even more dust. On those jobs I wear a good mask all day.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top