Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get my hands on some used drain cleaning/camera inspection equipment. I'm located in the pacific northwest but willing to travel/pay shipping if anyone wants to make a deal.

·
Super Moderator
9,349 Posts
Focus on machines first, then a camera. Craigslist, ebay. If you have good credit and don’t mind an extra car payment, most manufacturers team up with credit companies that you can use if you go new. Spartan is generally my choice, but my next sink machine will be a Trojan cult. Talk with @MACPLUMB777. He could probably hook you up if you like drum machines, camera, jetter. You name it.

·
Registered
Plumber
14 Posts
Ridgid, General, and Electric Eel also make good machines.

I like the power of Spartans, but they're heavy units and I don't care for the punch pin cable connections.
What is your opinion on the power of a Spartan 2001 vs a Ridgid K-7500? Would you say they are comparable, or is the Spartan noticeably more powerful? According to spec sheets they are very similar in build.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
What is your opinion on the power of a Spartan 2001 vs a Ridgid K-7500? Would you say they are comparable, or is the Spartan noticeably more powerful? According to spec sheets they are very similar in build.
Most important part is the cable. I run 5/8" General cable, but 3/4" is better if you're new and only using it for 3" and 4" lines. I like to be able to snake 2" lines and you can't do that with 3/4". Mind you, even 5/8" is technically not for 2" and can break it if you're not careful. 5/8" is weaker than 3/4" so it will kink or break more easily.

K-7500 HAS MORE, SPARTAN HAS A LOAD LIMITED MOTOR THAT STOPS WHEN YOU NEED IT MOST,
We have a K-7500 for backup and it's a good machine. I keep 100' of 3/4" in it. But I prefer my General 91/92 with 5/8". Smaller/lighter package, easier to move. The K-7500 is more solidly built and chunkier, better for apprentices/rookies.

You can put any motor you want on any of them so just pick the frame and cable you prefer.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
My friend runs Trojan Worldwide .66 cable in his General 91 and loves it, just a little bigger then
a 5/8 " cable and 4 times as strong,
it is double wound with 3rd inner core

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
238 Posts
I'd also look at what is supported locally. It never hurts to have a nearby supplier or rep.

Generally I prefer the Ridgid machines. Never had any major issues with the cables, motors, or attachments.

Auto-retrieve is your friend on a main line machine.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
.........Auto-retrieve is your friend on a main line machine.
A drain machine without an auto-feed head is a joke.

Also it's just plain dangerous. When that cable grabs it will bind up, spit out, wrap around your arm, and sprain or snap your wrist.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
Plumber
14 Posts
Most important part is the cable. I run 5/8" General cable, but 3/4" is better if you're new and only using it for 3" and 4" lines. I like to be able to snake 2" lines and you can't do that with 3/4". Mind you, even 5/8" is technically not for 2" and can break it if you're not careful. 5/8" is weaker than 3/4" so it will kink or break more easily.

We have a K-7500 for backup and it's a good machine. I keep 100' of 3/4" in it. But I prefer my General 91/92 with 5/8". Smaller/lighter package, easier to move. The K-7500 is more solidly built and chunkier, better for apprentices/rookies.

You can put any motor you want on any of them so just pick the frame and cable you prefer.
I've been running a Spartan 2001 with 5/8" IC for about ten years, it pretty much does anything I need it to do and I can rip through roots with it like nobody's business. Back when I worked at Roto-Hacker I'm pretty sure we used rebranded K-7500s, but with 5/8" hollow core, so we had a lot less power. I remember the K-7500 being a lot lighter and easier to maneuver than the 2001, but I'm sure that was all due to the HC cable. According to the specs the Ridgid is actually the heavier machine, but the weight never bothered me all that much. I just really like the idea of the folding stair climbers for whipping it in and out of my van, so I'm leaning towards the K-7500 for my new business unless I can be convinced of something else. I'm in an area known for heavy heavy roots, lots of 100+ year old houses, long runs of 6" clay tile, and the like. I've never heard of anyone around here having any luck with anything smaller than a 2001/1065 or K-7500. The few guys that do use sectionals run a K-1500. A few guys use 300s or K-6200s, I'm the guy that goes in after they claim the line is broken or needs to be jetted and rip all the roots out with my Spartan. So big machines are a necessity around here. Ridgid has great support from multiple locations in my area, so while I'll listen to any advice given, I'm strongly leaning towards a K-7500.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts