Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a good urinal Auger? The most common Urinal installed out here is an American Standard Afwall. The trap is small with tight bends. The only luck I've had clearing the trap is to remove and reinstall the fixture.
I'd like to find a good auger that will make it through the trap without destroying itself.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
General

General makes a few different urinal augers like this one.

Description

General Wire I-TU4 4' Telescoping Urinal Auger

The General Wire I-TU4 gets through urinals where other snakes can't. A specially designed spring has the toughness and flexibility to negotiate tight urinal bends. General Wire's I-TU4 Telescoping Urinal Auger features a 48" spring for clearing stoppages beyond the urinal. The Urinal Auger has rust resistant steel tubes and rubber bumpers to protect urinal bowls.

I have not tried them myself, we have drain techs that do the drain cleaning.

Attachments

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ron, but I have several of these. All though this one seems to be the best I've tried, it still has a difficult time making it through an Afwall trap.

The telescoping cable works great on the toilet augers, but most of the problems I run into with urinal stoppages is in the trap itself and I haven't found a good one yet.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Urinals are the most disgusting fixtures in the world to clean out when there clogged, I feel for you, glad I don't do drains any more, I may auger a toilet once in a while.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drain cleaning is not what anyone signs up for, but it ocasionally becomes an unfortunate necessity if you do service work.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I did it for years, I'd do it again if I needed to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wont use a urinal auger for the simple fact that most of the time the clog is either past the urinal, or its so freakin solidified in there the auger wont do anything. Sometimes ill get gutsy and run my 5/16 cable of my 81 machine right thru the urinal if its a bear to pull off the wall.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the concensus is as I've come to think it was. Sh!t can the old fixture and sell em a new one. That is what I've been doing for a while now. I just thought maybe one of you guy's has had better luck trying to snake em.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I've tried my 1/4" gorlitz machine in the past, had good luck, but it's always a ***** getting it though the trap.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ridgid has a small drum machine that works on batteries,like 1/4" cable-this machine is perfect for urinals.Prior to that machine I'd just pull the sucker and charge the time,but that little machine was great.If I had a lot of comm. sewer work I would buy one.[never met a trap it wouldn't eventually go through,and that was on a 90 year old college campus].:thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Half a quart of Calci-Solv will usually do the trick, once it goes through run a lot of water through the fixture.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
I've tried my 1/4" gorlitz machine in the past, had good luck, but it's always a ***** getting it though the trap.
10-4 Ron on that. I used the 81. I have auger and dislike it with every bit of the word.
I did play with Sizzle abit, which did, I thought better.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Registered
843 Posts
I've scraped out urinal traps with a screwdriver. I have one of those General urinal augers. It doesn't get much use since I do primarily residential work. I don't have any nifty tricks to share. Anybody have any experience cleaning the lines on waterless urinals?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I've scraped out urinal traps with a screwdriver. I have one of those General urinal augers. It doesn't get much use since I do primarily residential work. I don't have any nifty tricks to share. Anybody have any experience cleaning the lines on waterless urinals?
They are illegal here, and should be in all fifty states.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Urinal augers get paper out of the trap, thats about it.

I have a General auger, I use it to pull wads of paper.

you really wanna get dirty, pull it off the wall, in a movie theatre on a weekend night, it was horrible, dudes using the urinals nex to me:furious::furious: stepping over my blockade.....pizzed me off

Break up those pizz crystals (yeast) with a 3/8" cable, most of the stoppages are int he nipple and barrel of the santee:thumbsup:

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've cabled floor drains in Coyote ugly in New York New York in Vegas during the night while the club was packed.Hectic yet very nice :jester:.

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
"I think the concensus is as I've come to think it was. Sh!t can the old fixture and sell em a new one. That is what I've been doing for a while now. I just thought maybe one of you guy's has had better luck trying to snake em."
MAN I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK

1 - 20 of 44 Posts