Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,022 Posts
Being your own boss is a good thing, and it does not matter if you are rich or poor because
their are a whole lot worse things you could live through... Be grateful for your freedom to
work at whatever pace you want to...

The Work will set you free... and if you are happy with your job that is really all that matters
I have worked for some total assho/es and had some pretty crummy souls to deal with over the years...
If you have ever had to work for some alcoholic dickhead, dealing with total incompetence
and watching them drink their company down the drain that was the low water mark for me....
-----

those kind of depressing experiences makes where you are at right now all the sweeter....

Yes exactly! I remember all those black clouds you speak of. Now I have so much of catching up to do in the happiness department and I'm having a blast. Lot's of dirty jobs, weekly insults and nasty comment from people but in the evening I have something to look forward to.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Rich is relative

There's a few "rich" plumbers on this forum that post regularly. And many more that no longer post.
I don't believe it,they did not get rich by plumbing alone,somebody died and left it to them or they married into it,period,you are not gonna get rich by doing plumbing work.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Being your own boss is a good thing, and it does not matter if you are rich or poor because
their are a whole lot worse things you could live through... Be grateful for your freedom to
work at whatever pace you want to...

The Work will set you free... and if you are happy with your job that is really all that matters
I have worked for some total assho/es and had some pretty crummy souls to deal with over the years...
If you have ever had to work for some alcoholic dickhead, dealing with total incompetence
and watching them drink their company down the drain that was the low water mark for me....
-----

those kind of depressing experiences makes where you are at right now all the sweeter....

I thought you took the company over from your dad???I thought you worked for your dad your entire career until he gave you the business???if a person has a already established business to take over you can make money from day one but when you start your own business from scratch you don't make any profit for a few yrs starting out plus you have to establish a customer base/contractors to work for

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,830 Posts
I thought you took the company over from your dad???I thought you worked for your dad your entire career until he gave you the business???if a person has a already established business to take over you can make money from day one but when you start your own business from scratch you don't make any profit for a few yrs starting out plus you have to establish a customer base/contractors to work for

Yes its a family owned business..... I have been running it since about 86 ...worked out in colorado from 82-85
but the bottom fell out due to the oil industry and it was not in the cards to stay out there with parents getting older and ill back here...

Dads plumbing idea and path was new construction work and he seemed to just love to get boned by the contractors every year..
Watching this happen over and over was dis-heartening....he took some huge, massive losses back in the 70s....
We basically did the same thing because we had builders to work for, but the best ones all died off or went under due to divorce.
We did not know any better and just ran things like always , but eventually I realized that about 95% of all
contractors are skum and I did not want to cater to them any longer.........

I had enough of this insanity and simply said NO to all opportunities to follow down that same path..
I have said before that if you just say NO to ALL contractors and builders, you will be right 8 out of 10 times... and those are
very good odds--- the secret is staying the course and not getting tempted to fall back into that rat race and get screwed good.......
So, I Have been building up only the service side of this business since 86

Being a family business, I did have to allow my brother -in-law to beat his head against a wall for a few years with some construction
work and eventually he lost his ass enough times and had to work hard to do it.
I quietly sat back and watched him work his ass off and did not lift a finger to help ,
I just kept running the service side of the business and basically keeping the company afloat.....
Eventually he could see where the ---- easy,---- gravy money --- was coming from and finally threw in the towell.

The service work is getting to be too much to deal with, I got great google reviews
so I am happy I went cold turkey on the skumbag contractors long ago.....

its complicated when you have family to deal with.....

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Yes its a family owned business..... I have been running it since about 86 ...worked out in colorado from 82-85
but the bottom fell out due to the oil industry and it was not in the cards to stay out there with parents getting older and ill back here...

Dads plumbing idea and path was new construction work and he seemed to just love to get boned by the contractors every few years.
Watching this happen over and over was dis-heartening....he took some huge, massive losses in the 70s....
We basically did the same thing because we had builders to work for but the best ones all died off or went under due to divorce.
We did not know any better and just ran things like always , but eventually I realized that about 95% of all
contractors are skum and I did not want to deal with them any longer.........

I had enough of this insanity and simply said NO to all opportunities to follow down that same path..
I have said before that if you just say NO to ALL contractors and builders, you will be right 8 out of 10 times... and those are
very good odds--- the secret is staying the course and not getting tempted to fall back into that rat race......
So, I Have been building up only the service side of this business since 86

Being a family business, I did have to allow my brother -in-law to beat his head against a wall for a few years with some construction
work and eventually he lost his ass enough times and had to work hard to do it.
I quietly sat back and watched him work his ass off and did not lift a finger to help ,
I just kept ran the service side of the business and basically keeping the company afloat.....
Eventually he could see where the money was coming from and threw in the towell.

The service work is getting to be too much to deal with, I got great google reviews
so I am happy I went cold turkey on the skumbag contractors long ago.....

its complicated when you have family to deal with.....
Agreeee

·
Registered
61 Posts
My only issues I had with PEX were the brass fitting we used when we first started converting from copper. Most of my work is on well water and any home with the PH even slightly off of 7 just destroyed those fittings. Lucky for me it happened so fast we were able to switch to the polimer fittings and have not had a single issue since. Plus we only use the SS cinch clamp system.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
............Plus we only use the SS cinch clamp system.
I don't like Oetiker clips. At least they're easy to remove.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
gree with you ski,I have fixed a few leaks on the cinch rings,with the copper rings it either holds and is good or it leaks,keep the crisper calibrated and they no problems with copper rings
Sparky, I think you might have a drinking problem.

·
Plumbing since 1974
Plumbing and light HVAC
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
ALERT! Here is the UPDATE, just received from Uponor, based on their lab results:
"Our lab confirmed that the issue is related to a manufacturing component. Once we receive your leak repair expenses we will review them and provide resolution to your claim. "

Definitely, then, Uponor has had a problem with this batch.

I am recommending that the homeowner submit a full house repipe quote.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
ALERT! Here is the UPDATE, just received from Uponor, based on their lab results:
"Our lab confirmed that the issue is related to a manufacturing component. Once we receive your leak repair expenses we will review them and provide resolution to your claim. "

Definitely, then, Uponor has had a problem with this batch.

I am recommending that the homeowner submit a full house repipe quote.
They won’t do that,all they do is replace the fittings that are bad And maybe a few sections of pipe,I highly doubt they will pay for whole house repipes

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
They won’t do that,all they do is replace the fittings that are bad And maybe a few sections of pipe,I highly doubt they will pay for whole house repipes
You have to get a letter from a lawyer.

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
No need. The HO just needs to make some noise with his/her insurance carrier. If there is anything insurance companies are good at, it's passing the buck. Along with the banks, the insurance companies write the rules.
Right, they will have a lawyer send a letter. He needs to complain to his Homeowner's so they will have their lawyer send a letter. How is that not what I said?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
You have to get a letter from a lawyer.
Won't do any good,it will be simiiar to the gray polybutylene disaster that people got stuck with yrs ago,I still run across people today that are still having problems with this crap and company and insurance companies did nothing

·
Registered
Plumber
219 Posts
Good morning folks. Just curious about this post because I have been installing pex-a for some time now.

How old was that piping that split? Well or city water? Have you performed a water quality test? Is the manufacturer simply claiming it was one batch or a bigger overall issue?

Sorry bout all the questions but this post intrigues me.

DG

·
Registered
Plumber
219 Posts
Won't do any good,it will be simiiar to the gray polybutylene disaster that people got stuck with yrs ago,I still run across people today that are still having problems with this crap and company and insurance companies did nothing
I will politely disagree with this statement of Quest pipe / gray poly. There were as far as I know Two settlements that allowed anyone with quest piping to receive funds to replace. Now whether or not the current homeowner at the time was even aware of the lawsuit and settlement or maybe they just took the money and never repiped the home. I cannot feel sympathy for people who own homes with quest. They are informed upon purchasing.

As for this day of age insurance companies will pay to repipe the home after multiple expensive floods occur. The overall cost of the flood claims have to out weigh the replacement fee. They are reactive rather than proactive and it's just business.

Being ahead of the curve with pex-a if they are following a similar road will be extremely beneficial.

I have used this product in heated flooring to boiler systems, whole home repipes, hell I have even buried it for yard hydrants. Pointless though to claim it can swell to double its midsize and then shrink back with memory foam tech if the stuff starts to split after a few years.

I am curious if this is a water quality issue or a product glitch, or a larger systemic problem

61 - 78 of 78 Posts