Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Actually we were there 2 days....and it took half the day cutting out all the junk in the
way and hauling it off and the other half standing on a ladder straining my neck figuring out
how the best way was going to look good... Standing on a ladder for 2 days in a row kind of killed my
legs for a few days afterwards.. had to go to the chiropractor after this..
.. We charged him pretty high $$ for the 2 full days of fun
Should of bought one of these and billed it the job. I was doing a job once and the GC had one on site, it makes it so much easier than working on a ladder. Just grab the floor joists and pull yourself to the next location with all the supplies on the platform.

·
Super Moderator
2,132 Posts
No matter what Ya just can't beat copper, the true craftsman go to. Let the rants begin.

Unless like an adjoining town "Collinsville Il." where they hit a good slug of chlorine and for years later only the bottom of long runs of type "M" copper with mainly softened water pin holes developed. So much so the insurance companies would not cover future claims unless bad sections where replaced with at least type L of plastic. The town finally would not allow type M for any type installation.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
........... type "M" copper with mainly softened water pin holes developed............
L is for potable and M is for heating. That's why L is blue and M is red. Everyone in the trades(around here) knows that greedy contractors are the only ones specing M for potable.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Super Moderator
2,132 Posts
L is for potable and M is for heating. That's why L is blue and M is red. Everyone in the trades(around here) knows that greedy contractors are the only ones specing M for potable.
Not in Illinois. M is approved for potable usage. It is also listed at Mueller and in engineering as approved for potable.

https://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/077/07700890ZZ9996aaR.html

Plumbing Copper Tube | Mueller Streamline Co.

ASTM B88 - Seamless Copper Water Tubes - Dimensions

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,712 Posts
Should of bought one of these and billed it the job. I was doing a job once and the GC had one on site, it makes it so much easier than working on a ladder. Just grab the floor joists and pull yourself to the next location with all the supplies on the platform. View attachment 129725
That platform would not have worked...I could almost touch the rafters, so I was standing on a 4 fot ladder on the first step up...
It was like doing push ups on a stairmaster for 2 days and I did pay for it ...
My legs were trashed for the weekend ... I finally went out and bought
some vitamin E tabs and beta carotene and I have been superdosing
on the stuff to bring me back to normal...
Normal?? that is a relative term I guess... what is normal for
someone who crawls around in **** all the time...???
. ...

Damn. That's good money. In my region we'd have a hard time selling that job for half of what you charged.
I bid this job 2 years ago and thought I would never hear back from him.... then one day this spring--- bang.....
I figure he got prices from Ben F or some other places in town that would not even install a 50 gallon gas
water heater for less than 2k... I deducted 150 bucks because he wanted the copper and steel pipe and
would throw it all away for us--- that saved me half a day in just cleaning up the mess in the yard.....
Ben and others are installing 50 gallon power vents for 3k right now so whatever
I charge must seem dog dirt cheap

·
7,712 Posts

We used type m copper in thousands of new homes for decades here in indiana... it was no big deal at all... L was mostly used for commercial jobs...
Most type M has lasted for us since the early 60s without too many pin holes to speak of.... The L is a far better product but the work we
were doing was production homes and section 8 tract homes--- it was good enough to stand the test of time I suppose......

Now the big issue will be will Pex last the same length of time... 1960 to now in 2021 is 60+ years.... We will probably all be dead
before the results are known...

and again just like Type M copper its good enough-----

·
Super Moderator
9,022 Posts
Here only M in houses and only L on commercial.

M is Pretty good actually, houses with 80 year old M and still good for who knows how long. We only need to provide 1 year guarantee, after that it's the manufacturer's problem.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
That platform would not have worked...I could almost touch the rafters, so I was standing on a 4 fot ladder on the first step up...
It was like doing push ups on a stairmaster for 2 days and I did pay for it ...
My legs were trashed for the weekend ... I finally went out and bought
some vitamin E tabs and beta carotene and I have been superdosing
on the stuff to bring me back to normal...
Normal?? that is a relative term I guess... what is normal for
someone who crawls around in **** all the time...???
. ...

I bid this job 2 years ago and thought I would never hear back from him.... then one day this spring--- bang.....
I figure he got prices from Ben F or some other places in town that would not even install a 50 gallon gas
water heater for less than 2k... I deducted 150 bucks because he wanted the copper and steel pipe and
would throw it all away for us--- that saved me half a day in just cleaning up the mess in the yard.....
Ben and others are installing 50 gallon power vents for 3k right now so whatever
I charge must seem dog dirt cheap
As long as you make money mark it don’t matter what you charge,as long as you make money

·
7,712 Posts
As long as you make money mark it don’t matter what you charge,as long as you make money
You know , That is what my father used to say...he said as long as you made "wages" for the day...its better than nothing...
Wages is a break even way of thinking about it.... my dad was a child of the depression
and at one time he actually bartered for a couple of chickens for plumbing work....
My father never really got over those early scars... he worked his ass off before I was born and also
when I was a child.... and I suppose it rubbed off on me to a point..... this story is for another day....

Also, our area is booming compared to rural areas even 75 miles out of town..... you get
down to Kentucky and its a whole different game....

I planned this job out out fairly well.... the first day we installed the laundry room outlets and ran
the drain and dryer venting... stubbed down the water lines into the basement....also I forgot we
changed out his back to back tub drains included in the bid.... drilled all the holes needed for
day 2 and hauled down the heater into the basement....

Day 2 installed the heater and cut out the junk lines which took longer than I thought it would
I ran the pex lines fairly quickly and We got out of there by 5.30 which is a long day for me..

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
You know , That is what my father used to say...he said as long as you made "wages" for the day...its better than nothing...
Wages is a break even way of thinking about it.... my dad was a child of the depression
and at one time he actually bartered for a couple of chickens for plumbing work....
My father never really got over those early scars... he worked his ass off before I was born and also
when I was a child.... and I suppose it rubbed off on me to a point..... this story is for another day....

Also, our area is booming compared to rural areas even 75 miles out of town..... you get
down to Kentucky and its a whole different game....

I planned this job out out fairly well.... the first day we installed the laundry room outlets and ran
the drain and dryer venting... stubbed down the water lines into the basement....also I forgot we
changed out his back to back tub drains included in the bid.... drilled all the holes needed for
day 2 and hauled down the heater into the basement....

Day 2 installed the heater and cut out the junk lines which took longer than I thought it would
I ran the pex lines fairly quickly and We got out of there by 5.30 which is a long day for me..

He was a smart man,I know of no rich plumbers and we all know we ain't gettin rich doing this kind of work,just make a decent living then we get planted

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I don't partake that mindset at all.
Are you rich??did plumbing work make you rich?? No on both questions,only way to get rich is for someone to die and leave it to you,hit the lottery,or do something illega,will not get rich doing blue collar type work

·
7,712 Posts
Are you rich??did plumbing work make you rich?? No on both questions,only way to get rich is for someone to die and leave it to you,hit the lottery,or do something illega,will not get rich doing blue collar type work

He was a smart man,I know of no rich plumbers and we all know we ain't gettin rich doing this kind of work,just make a decent living then we get planted
I know of a lot of ultra rich plumbers who make a pretty good living doing this....and many have retired and never looked back
I think its all a mindset and motivation that makes the money come in or not...
Maybe its got a lot to do with the economic conditions of the area that you live in to.... I always remember when
I was a kid how so many construction workers that worked along side my dad were mostly from down in Kentucky....
Their was just no work down there to do in the 60s... so they came up north to Indy..

I dont consider myself rich but the house is paid off and I am turning down work that
I dont feel like doing which makes me feel fairly successful..
I dont plan on leaving my kids just some worn out shovels either...
and they are not gonna pass the hat at my funeral to bury me

You are not in business to break even... and you cannot look at this as exercise or something to do today....
If I just wanted exercise and break even , I would go down to the spa and work out and watch at all the hot chicks in yoga
pants and maybe grade their camel toes for perkiness, tightness and form... thats a far better passtime...

I just raised my prices a few weeks ago and I got a call from someone tonight that was referred to me from some other rich plumber and they wanted a
price on a 50 gallon power vented unit asap.... If they could wait till friday it would have been 2100.,if he needed it done tomorrow
it would be 2450... Then he turned around and told me the plumber who referred me told them 1700:oops::rolleyes:. but he was out 3 weeks.
I sort of thought he was hosing me... so I gave him the names and numbers of a few other plumbers to call...and said good luck...

I called the plumber who referred me cause I thought this guy might call him and ream him out ..... It Turns out he was hosing me and I
was over his price by 175.....that is how it goes....

I plan on going on vacation at the end of the week and dont need a log jam of calls to fall on Friday .

·
Super Moderator
9,022 Posts
Rich is relative

There's a few "rich" plumbers on this forum that post regularly. And many more that no longer post.

·
7,712 Posts
Rich is relative

There's a few "rich" plumbers on this forum that post regularly. And many more that no longer post.
Being your own boss is a good thing, and it does not matter if you are rich or poor because
their are a whole lot worse things you could live through... Be grateful for your freedom to
work at whatever pace you want to...

The Work will set you free... and if you are happy with your job that is really all that matters
I have worked for some total assho/es and had some pretty crummy souls to deal with over the years...
If you have ever had to work for some alcoholic dickhead, dealing with total incompetence
and watching them drink their company down the drain that was the low water mark for me....
-----

those kind of depressing experiences makes where you are at right now all the sweeter....

41 - 60 of 69 Posts