Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought it would be a good idea to make a list of all the little things we do to our vans to get more use out of them.

-Inverter, charger, and cordless battery box
-Cuno filter housings hold map/propane cans perfectly, bolt a couple to the door to hold your torch
-Bolt some unistrut across the top of the ceiling and you can mount a block and tackle to hoist things into the van
-Strap a 4" or 6" pvc pipe to the ceiling for an inside pipe rack.
-Fill the doors, they have a lot of space. Perfect for rags and drop cloths.

What's the most important thing you do to a new van to make it work better for you?

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I like your idea of putting unistrut on the top of the van. Have you seen these trolleys that you can slide into the strut. I have a small chain hoist that I use with it to move heavy stuff View attachment 129301 Y
View attachment 129302
It must be something of the same kind that the jet rack uses as you hook the ladder to it and push it in and lock it in place

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like your idea of putting unistrut on the top of the van. Have you seen these trolleys that you can slide into the strut. I have a small chain hoist that I use with it to move heavy stuff
Well schit! You have no idea how much that is going to change my life!!!

I made a sliding "barn door" for one of our bedrooms a year ago and I made my own trolleys, wish I had known about those!

·
Registered
Master Plumber
310 Posts
They’re only about $35.00. I also have a 10’ length of 3.5” thick unistrut I’ve hoisted a 900lbs boiler up onto an equipment pad without any trouble.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They’re only about $35.00. I also have a 10’ length of 3.5” thick unistrut I’ve hoisted a 900lbs boiler up onto an equipment pad without any trouble.
35$!?!?!?!?!

I am too cheap for that, I'll keep making my own!

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
Certified DIY Advisor (Terms and conditions apply)
278 Posts
3/4 Tube talons fit a regular aluminum broom perfectly
Screw a drop ear 90 with a short nipple with a 90 at the end to hold backpacks
Hoses go on the ladder rack
Buy a milwaukee sequential charger and plug it into an inverter in the cab (just don't forget to unplug it)
Keep your meter key in a place that you can get it rapidly, no matter how trashed your van is.
I just bought the milwaukee packout drawers, I'm getting the mounting plate for them and attaching it to the floor of my van.
You can hold pipe wrenches with unistrut
I'll think of more that I do

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,667 Posts
3/4 Tube talons fit a regular aluminum broom perfectly
Screw a drop ear 90 with a short nipple with a 90 at the end to hold backpacks
Hoses go on the ladder rack
Buy a milwaukee sequential charger and plug it into an inverter in the cab (just don't forget to unplug it)
Keep your meter key in a place that you can get it rapidly, no matter how trashed your van is.
I just bought the milwaukee packout drawers, I'm getting the mounting plate for them and attaching it to the floor of my van.
You can hold pipe wrenches with unistrut
I'll think of more that I do

you need to post some pictures... words dont hack it.....

·
7,667 Posts
you need to post some pictures... words dont hack it.....

When you are working out of a e350 maxi van or smaller you really got to be creative
with your space... every inch counts .... I used to really have those vans packed tight
and efficiently for the kind of work we used to do out of them....

we used to run the ford maxi vans up to 2010 but then switched to the
14 foot box trucks and now its more an issue of how much junk can we
cram into the beast.....

·
Super Moderator
9,013 Posts
My first work van was an Astro. had to see the chiropractor after two weeks cause the driver’s seat put me 10° out of wack. Moved the passenger seat to the driver’s and turned it into storage. That thing was a POS!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Just thought it would be a good idea to make a list of all the little things we do to our vans to get more use out of them.

-Inverter, charger, and cordless battery box
-Cuno filter housings hold map/propane cans perfectly, bolt a couple to the door to hold your torch
-Bolt some unistrut across the top of the ceiling and you can mount a block and tackle to hoist things into the van
-Strap a 4" or 6" pvc pipe to the ceiling for an inside pipe rack.
-Fill the doors, they have a lot of space. Perfect for rags and drop cloths.

What's the most important thing you do to a new van to make it work better for you?
If you have a new van/truck the very first thing I would do is take a sharp edge and go up and down each side of it, ahead and get it over with cause it's gonna get scratched up

·
7,667 Posts
I'd post pictures, but yeah... Van is in the shop
I am gonna take some pictures of my New Box truck now that I have got it up to speed
I have way too much room in it--- dont know what I am gonna throw in it to fill it up...

I have only put about 1000 miles on it since we got it back in October.... Thats usually how things work out
when you have a back up truck all your older trucks never break down.... 1619893328183.png 1619893359997.png 1619893382530.png 1619893328183.png 1619893359997.png 1619893382530.png

1 - 18 of 18 Posts