Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a pain. I had to go down from a 40gal to a 30gal because the old 40 just barely fit in there and with the new thicker insulation on the replacement heater a 40 would not fit. Also, there was now place to run a pan drain or t/p drain without tearing open cabinets and walls to get to the exterior so I opted to aim the drain up so a shop vac could be attached in case of an emergency. I also opted to use an expansion tank vs an expansion valve as there is no place to drain the valve to. Notice how I had to notch the block wall to fit the pan in there.

HO did not want to spend the extra money to get a quality electric tankless and run new wires to it. I don't blame him. So this is the best we could do on the budget he was working with.

Attachments

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Read the post on the pan drain. Premier water heaters are the only heaters that I haven't had a problem with yet (aside from the damn barnett guys denting the heck out of them)

whats with the pan drain? premier water heaters ! come on-youll be sorry!

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I deal with barnett a lot. I don't get into non-plumbing at all. I wash my hands of everything except the plumbing to keep things simple. I try to only refer work out and not sub it. I don't need any extra headaches.

Looks good. Do you get a lot from Barnett. Do you do the carpentry misc. repairs or pass it off.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
I had one similar to that 2 years ago! I thought I was alone! We had to remove the countertop, including the kitchen sink, to get to it.

There was a unsoldered copper 90 on that job that didn't leak for the 15 years it was in...

The place is a large apartment complex, so they had a handyman carpenter on premise to put the counter back together.

You use a expansion tank on electric, huh? Here its only for gas. Never saw a Premier...Bradford White only here.

My whole job was 2200.00 for a 40 gallon 240...trip :laughing:

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
I don't see what the source of the heat has to do with the decision to use a thermal expansion device or not. Could you explain what I'm missing?
The way the code was explained to me is that water expands more by flame than electric, so its not needed on electric.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
uh huh..........so the water magiclly knows that the heat is coming from flam and not an electric element.............I see.

Wait, I've figured it out. See the water is scared of fire (they have a history of not getting along) and when it hears that flame on the other side of the tank wall it expands to make it's self look bigger to scare away the water (kinda like a puffer fish):laughing:

I'm just messin wit ya man.

The way the code was explained to me is that water expands more by flame than electric, so its not needed on electric.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Our code has similar language.

504.4 Relief valve. All storage water heaters operating above atmospheric pressure shall be provided with an approved, self-closing (levered) pressure relief valve and temperature relief valve or combination thereof. The relief valve shall conform to ANSI Z21.22. The relief valve shall not be used as a means of controlling thermal expansion.

607.3 Thermal expansion control. A means of controlling increased pressure caused by thermal expansion shall be provided where required in accordance with Sections 607.3.1 and 607.3.2.
607.3.1 Pressure-reducing valve. For water service system sizes up to and including 2 inches (51 mm), a device for controlling pressure shall be installed where, because of thermal expansion, the pressure on the downstream side of a pressure-reducing valve exceeds the pressure-reducing valve setting.
607.3.2 Backflow prevention device or check valve. Where a backflow prevention device, check valve or other device is installed on a water supply system utilizing storage water heating equipment such that thermal expansion causes an increase in pressure, a device for controlling pressure shall be installed.

Our states if the building had been closed by any kind of backflow device then it is to be installed.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
uh huh..........so the water magiclly knows that the heat is coming from flam and not an electric element.............I see.

Wait, I've figured it out. See the water is scared of fire (they have a history of not getting along) and when it hears that flame on the other side of the tank wall it expands to make it's self look bigger to scare away the water (kinda like a puffer fish):laughing:

I'm just messin wit ya man.
aaaah, man, its not my code...:laughing:

I'm always tempted to sell one on electric, but you know I'd get busted.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Wow that is a most interesting concept...:blink:

For some reason they are missing the gas or electric plug in for the formula. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/volumetric-temperature-expansion-d_315.html :laughing:

Use of an thermal expansion tank has everything to do with the creation of a closed system whether it is a check valve, backflow preventor, or, PRV causing the closed system...

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
That has to be a new sig line for someone :laughing:
Yep! I'm on that like stink on sheet...:laughing:
Maybe this was a discussion we shoulda had with Helgore in chat that night...:laughing:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.