Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Typical cpvc Fla. home in this area. Cpvc is not my choice but he pays on Friday and they dont change fast around here. I took a pic of the sharkbites just to incite.

Attachments

·
Lego Expert
4,570 Posts
Huh, you FL guys dont have to use BOCA plates on the top+bottem plates? From the pict it looks like the Washing Machine Drain is Backfalling a taste. Hey the sharkbites are cheaper than threaded adapters

·
AKA house plumber
3,560 Posts
In my area we have to use the 4x6 nail plates on the bottom plate and 2 4x6 nail plates on the top plate. The reason for 2 at the top is for nails on the crown molding. I don't think it's backfall at the washer. i think it was more of an angle. But my area in Fl you do have to put a test tee on the washer stack. Any stack that doesn't have an accessable trap needs a c.o. I was wondering why he sleeved the cpvc. maybe to know which is hot and cold. We don't have to sleeve cpvc coming through the slab. We also run a 2 inch stack at the washer for residential. 3 inch for commercial.

P.S. I'm not picking your work by no means at all. Just stating what we do in my area. looks good though

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hes not quite finished , I came with a box of plates when I took the pics. Good observation. North central ( Lake City, Gainesville and surrounding).The counties vary on the plates. Columbia where this is at doesnt require the larger plates but almost everywhere else does. As far as picking..this is my new angle on the boys.." you cant do that, the guys on the forum would fry you".

·
Lego Expert
4,570 Posts
Do those "air chamber" things on the tub valve,lavs,ect, do anything. Ive done it before but it was because I ran out of 90' s

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
typical crap florida home. I like the sharkbite on the roman tub and the studor under the window. Your going to make some service plumber very happy at the expense of the homeowner:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
typical crap florida home. I like the sharkbite on the roman tub and the studor under the window. Your going to make some service plumber very happy at the expense of the homeowner:thumbsup:
Thanks for the thoughtful evaluation.......Ill be the service plumber thank you. I started these 19 or 20 years ago and get very few copper leaks or faucet problems. The studor vents and cpvc is newer and the jury is still out but I suspect there will be years of trouble free service. As far as the sharkbites, I get a thrill knowing so many plumbers of self renown think they are a time bomb....all the more reason to use them. Mostly septic tank issues over the years.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Do those "air chamber" things on the tub valve,lavs,ect, do anything. Ive done it before but it was because I ran out of 90' s
I dont know if they fill up or not. Havent had any hammer issues --mostly wells on these. Force of habit. At least one set per group and we put them in the wall at the water heater-no technical reason other than air chambers or WHA's are the bomb. I never studied enough to know where or how many is the "right" way.

The time I had a hammer issue was because of a very long straight run and 3/4 mechanical arrestors didnt fix it.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Also, (not your fault) They seem to be doing the famous stucco with no roof over hang thing. When you get a call in a few years about a leak but can't find one, have the exterior walls thermo-camed. Then call the GC.:yes:

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
real brick? or "sprayed on brick"? It's cool if it's real brick.

I get allot of "leak" calls in davenport, FL that are stucco leaks. They built them just like your photos show with virtually no roof over hang. Every time it rains the wall gets wet and the stucco sucks up the water. I'm tellin you man they build'em cheaper and crappier every year and that's why when a GC calls me and asks if I wanna bid I say "nah, I'm good"

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Real, and a closer look at the house exterior pic you can barely make out the stacks of bricks but they are there. Lake City does alot of brick and hardy board. Head south and the hardy board and stucco seems to get more predominant.

·
Plumbing and Gas SCO
1,437 Posts
Air chambers do work, expecially on "fast closing" valves such as single handle t&s valves. However, the water will absorb the water after a while. When this happens you need to empty the lines and allow air in. Then they will work again.Water hammer is not really a problem with pex. (cough, cough)
But chambers are a good practice anyways.

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
All looks good. Got a question or two, or a thought that is....
Here in Tally, we don't have to have a 3" stack. All is required is one 2" somewhere in the system. ( Fla. building code )
Also, we here can not install a 1/4 bend directly on top of a sanitary tee and connect a studor vent there. We can not 90 a vent unless it is 6 inches above the flood rim of the fixture.
We just reduce the two inch to 1-1/2 above the slab, stub out in the cabinet using a 1/4 bend. Then on the trim out, we install an 1-1/2 san tee on its back and the studor of course goes vertical but must be at least 4 inches above the trap. Then the trap is connected to the front of the tee. The inspectors here usually require what the manufacturers recommendations are. The recommendations for a studor vent is printed on the package and it does say to install at least 4 inches or more above the trap. Some jurisdictions are different but it was our understanding that the new Florida building code was supposed to be inforced the same way in each county with no differences, except for I think Duval and I think, Broward county.
I was told in cont. ed class that if an inspector says to you he wants 100 psi test done, when Fla. code only requires 50, that he is actually breaking the law and you could protest it. I don't know if thats true, just is what the instructor was saying.
I don't cut down anyones work. I just am saying how different it is in each county.
Keep the pictures coming. Very interesting to view other folks plumbing work.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Dont need a 3" stack here either. It may have been his way of making sure he runs 3" for w/m drain. Have had sudsing issues and gurgles with toilets nearby. For a while I had them separate the wm drain to avoid it--also if they add a laundry tub later some counties (Alachua) wanted 3" waste. I dont know what code is now(2004) but I have to buy 2007 so Ill read it again then. And no perceived offense at all . If somethings off I want to hear otherwise I wouldnt post it. Im not particularly proud of this work--just an example of typical Florida here anyway. I guess we get away with the 90. I think my son is tired of drilling through 7 2X4's on an exterior wall. Only 4 2X4s whatever.1/8 bend on the vent would be an easy workaround.I used to do it that way with the tee but it sometimes gets cramped with the extra tee from back to front.

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
yea here we can't drill a hole larger than 7/8 inch in a 2x4 stud on a weight bearing wall unless the stud is doubled up. And I think no more than 2 can be drilled so if we have double lavs on an outside wall, we add an extra stack and keep them as close to center of lavs as possible.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts