Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you clean out a mainline and you have to do a vent using the lager machine, do you use a two man rule, or do you have a way to do this task by yourself?

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
I do it myself. I will do what ever to stay away from going through a vent in the roof, if I do I have help.
My big machine Spartan 2001, can truck it in pieces so I can handle it pretty well.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Registered
378 Posts
My days of doing a main-line from the roof are all but over.I own the K1500 which is not pratical for roof jobs.Eventually I may get the k-60,but for now I probe to find the bldg sewer or I install my camera through the w/c bend or vent and then locate it and install a clean-out.I've done hundreds of roof calls from Chicago to Tampa to Vegas and here,I'm done!
Maybe 1 in 7 calls are for drains which is good,I lean towards the mechanical aspect of our trade,repairs and remodels or additions,and a lot of gas work,which is probably half my work.
Besides ,all you need here to clear lines is a machine or a jetter,you do not need to be licensed so the area is whored out with drain guys.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
I use the ladder, and the cable through the pipe to the vent trick.

I run a couple extension cords, and split the cord when I need to stop it.

I do everything in my power not to do a roof job. it's not to safe. As a matter of fact, I have not done a roof job in about year.

I luck out sometimes, my foot peddle is long enough to reach if the vent is 2' from the overhang. I run the largest duracable mainline on the market.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The k-60, gorlitz and the electric eel make cleaning the bldg.drain through the roof fairly easy,but I only need one large machine.The sewer companys can have the roof jobs if I can't sell a clean-out or get the blockage from a closet bend or other access.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Agreed on pulling the toliet. Too many varibles. Had a supply line nut break at 11:00 at night and no parts on the truck..... Should have run the vent line.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I am a one-man operation. I do up to 6" lines up, out to 150 feet with my K-60. Thats my limit until I get busy enough to buy a jetting machine. I prefer to pull a toilet than to go on a roof, my truck is loaded with parts, so I have no problem changing the supply valve, supply tube, wax ring and bolts while I am there...if they don't want to pay for that, then they should have a cleanout installed as local codes require. I try to sell a cleanout, so I don't have to come back and pull the toilet next time. Sometimes if the sewer is full of bad roots, I get lucky and sell a whole new sewer and then I NEVER have to come back, unless the homeowners flush a large animal down the drain or something.:laughing:

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Another K-60 guy here.

Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Roof vent drain clearing

Hi,
I have on occasion gone through the vent on the roof in lieu of pulling a toilet but...... ask yourself what value to the customer is it by going on the roof? The customer's don't really know how much money they are saving by getting up there versus pulling a toilet. How much more money can you make pulling the toilet?
Yea, this pulling the toilet thing is getting expensive, how about a clean out Mrs. Jones?
I know several guys who came back from Viet Nam and have survied many missions only to fall off a ladder and become permanitley crippled to some extent. Dummy me is staying off roofs!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi jimqbaum,

Your profile says you found us via job site magazine, do you still have the magazine, if so can you scan or take a picture of it to post it on here, that would be cool :cool::cool::cool:

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Hi,
I have on occasion gone through the vent on the roof in lieu of pulling a toilet but...... ask yourself what value to the customer is it by going on the roof? The customer's don't really know how much money they are saving by getting up there versus pulling a toilet. How much more money can you make pulling the toilet?
Yea, this pulling the toilet thing is getting expensive, how about a clean out Mrs. Jones?
I know several guys who came back from Viet Nam and have survied many missions only to fall off a ladder and become permanitley crippled to some extent. Dummy me is staying off roofs!
You're saving time. I can go on a roof faster and have the job be cleaner than if I pulled a toilet.

·
Registered
584 Posts
We never go on roofs. Especially since we only have a large drum machine which is never run without two guys present.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts