Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a remodel and the tub can really only go up by where the ceiling slopes. There are 23" up of straight wall so the tub can go up against the wall just fine but I'm wondering about requirements for headroom. My code book is currently lent out to a lady so I can't try to look it up. Tub would move from original location and over to the right side of the picture but I'm not sure if headroom would really fly.

Any input? And yes I know I can ask the inspector but he's not around every day.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
............Tub would move from original location and over to the right side of the picture but I'm not sure if headroom would really fly.
I would stand on a flat 2x4 and see how the height feels for you. Code is kind of a moot point if it isn't a practical way to take a shower, unless there is a separate stand alone shower. Maybe mock up some tub walls with plywood or cardboard and pretend to climb in/out and sit there.

I've seen a couple tubs/showers that passed inspection but were functionally terrible.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I would stand on a flat 2x4 and see how the height feels for you. Code is kind of a moot point if it isn't a practical way to take a shower, unless there is a separate stand alone shower. Maybe mock up some tub walls with plywood or cardboard and pretend to climb in/out and sit there.

I've seen a couple tubs/showers that passed inspection but were functionally terrible.
He can’t do that, if I remember correctly he’s 6’5”

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
He can’t do that, if I remember correctly he’s 6’5”
Lolz, I thought I remembered him saying he was 6'3" or something, still wouldn't be a totally bad idea, he could bend at the knees a little.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

There is another bathroom on the 1st floor that has a full shower. This would be tub/shower and there are no other practical place for it to go. If I moved it out the size of a 2x4 then just standing there I myself would still be having to lower my head to stand there. So if it stayes close to the wall then it's even shorter. I believe its going to be meant for the kids.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll probably have to ask if she has a permit for her remodel and if so then I can ask our building inspector if he will allow it. If she does not have a permit I'll just put it in anyways as it's her own choice and there were an existing tub there to begin with.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
........... If I moved it out the size of a 2x4 then just standing there I myself would still be having to lower my head to stand there...........
I didn't mean move it out the width of a 2x4. I was saying you should stand on one to replicate the additional heat you'd get from a floor and the tub being placed on it. If you just stand on the subfloor you won't be at the finished standing height when the tub is installed.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
My passport says 6'6" and so does my doctor. So I'm not sure if it's with or without shoes.
It's supposed to be without shoes. Everyone lies anyway.

Reactions: Tango

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't mean move it out the width of a 2x4. I was saying you should stand on one to replicate the additional heat you'd get from a floor and the tub being placed on it. If you just stand on the subfloor you won't be at the finished standing height when the tub is installed.
I know exactly what you said. I was talking about the fact that I do have just enough room to move it out the size of a 2x4 so that way the tub would be under a higher part of the ceiling to gain a few extra inches of hight.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The only other way would be to take out a window and a cast iron radiator and move it over there and do some extra work to get a separate tub drain down to the basement also move pipes and radiator and install fart fan. Thus is simply not practical or realistic to expect from a remodel like this.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh and believe me I did present the option to her.

·
Super Moderator
2,124 Posts
Thanks. Looked at it but that was not really useful at all as it says showers need to be 6'8" but in case of a sloped ceiling to see exceptions yet there was no exceptions in the pages you sent

Al it takes it is a little further research.>>>>> Minimum Residential Ceiling Heights - Building Code Trainer

Now you may be able to sneak by and violate sections of the code. Maybe the municipality you are in did not adopt this particular section of the building code. However if they did and you sneak by and don't construct it to the adopted codes ther is a possibility when it is sold it can come back and bite the seller.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Do you have a picture or floor plan of the room before demo? I would like to see how things were arranged originally.
The situation begs the question:
Were you concerned about this from the get go? If so, why did you demo?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts