Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have and use this tool for removing the drain on a tub that the cross is no longer there. Do they do the job with ease?

Attachments

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that's what I needed to know, I won't waste the $$$

·
Registered
12 Posts
tub drain tool

my boss has used a cut down door hinge and a wrench when the cross broke someone siliconed them in wrong depth size and we didn't have an internal pipe wrench at the time

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
glad to hear that tool sucks, I would have purchased it myself, I have a multi directional sawzall I can usually cut the shoe off from below, I am cool with the cat tubs, but press steel and fiberglass you gotta watch you don't cut the tub.

If the tool works, who's to say the whole shoe won't snap and spin around. 99% of the bras w/o I replace, the 11/2 tubular snaps, there just is not an easy way to remove it!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an older tool, it looks like a three tier level, three sizes, it has worked for me in the past but, still have I'll post a picture of it as soon as I can, don't think they make them anymore, it was given to me long time ago.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I use the Ridgid internal wrench . Also 3 tiered . Works excellent !! Piece of advice

-- Use 18 or 24" wrench to get it JUST loose. Also ,as pulling from left to right use body or packing blanket or bed comforter ,,anything to pad tub in case of slipping!!

Cal

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess they still make them, that is the one I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yep !!! That's the ticket !!

Cal

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
I cut about 40% of them. Sawzall or even the mini- hacksaw. Usually change the sho out anyway due to thread pattern.

·
Registered
752 Posts
pure junk, i bought one and it never did free up the strainer i just ended up cutting it out and i generally like pasco tools too

·
Plumbing Contractor
971 Posts
If I have time I will post teh picture of the one I have. It takes an 3/8 ratchet for it to work. I'll try to describe it for now.

Basically how it works is: slide the body of the tool down the drain with the brass insert, then insert the 3" 3/8 extention the put the ratchet on it and begain to loosen the drain piece. The little brass piece extends out and grabs the side wall. I';; try to get pic tomorrow if I have time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a tool that goes on a 1/2 in drive it works like an internal pipe wrench.It gets 90% of the drains without much problems. I purchased it at Vamac supply. You can probably find it at any supply house. Sorry don't have a picture. Mine works just like Michels.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a tool that goes on a 1/2 in drive it works like an internal pipe wrench.It gets 90% of the drains without much problems. I purchased it at Vamac supply. You can probably find it at any supply house. Sorry don't have a picture. Mine works just like Michels.
Not sure what one your talking about, a link to it would be good.

·
Registered
457 Posts
If I have time I will post teh picture of the one I have. It takes an 3/8 ratchet for it to work. I'll try to describe it for now.

Basically how it works is: slide the body of the tool down the drain with the brass insert, then insert the 3" 3/8 extention the put the ratchet on it and begain to loosen the drain piece. The little brass piece extends out and grabs the side wall. I';; try to get pic tomorrow if I have time.
http://www.rectorseal.com/index.php?site_id=1&product_id=144

It's called the golden extractor. I have one and it's worked for me every time so far, but I've only had to use it maybe 5 times.

And yes, I'm going to post my intro now;)

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
I cut about 40% of them. Sawzall or even the mini- hacksaw. Usually change the sho out anyway due to thread pattern.
Yepper, that what I use if no cross in strainer. Saw it but real carefully. Dremel tool works good to.

In Christ,

Song Dog

1 - 20 of 47 Posts