Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Well I'm not a plumber yet, but hopefully soon. I'm from Toronto Canada and I've been laid off from IBM/Lenovo after almost 10 years. I'm 29 and I'm sick of being threatened to get laid off year after year, so I want a new career. I like working with my hands and learn best with hands on training. I have a few friends in the trade and have told me its not easy but its a solid trade.

I know that the pay cut is huge (1st years $11.00 - $13.00/h) but at the end of 5 or 6 years you should be making good money. However, I keep think who the hell is gonna hire a guy with no experience and take him on as an apprentice? Is 29 too old to join this trade?

During this economy am I wasting my time? Thanks in advance for any advise.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Attention Canadians! Help this guy out dontcha know. eh.

Seriously, If there is a union hall close to you for plumbers. It's a great place to learn. Sign up and go to work/class. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
DO IT MAN !!! Very rewarding !

Welcome
Cal

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hey fellow canadian,I don't know how it works in toronto,but in montreal,you have the choice of taking the course, graduating,getting your first year apprenticeship,and doing 8000 hours to your journeyman lisence.theres also the back door.You can get a out of construction card,without taking the course,work 8000 hours in a plumbing company,pass the exam,and with a wriiten letter from your employer,they 'll let you do the journey man exam.never to late,you just might have to move to montreal,and become a canadiens fan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts