Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always used the pvc traps (lav-kitch.) Once I thought about using chrome.
What do you preffer?
I was just thinking, if clients see chrome it would only add value but cost me more. I just have never seen a pvc trap corrode through the bottom:)

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
We use ABS traps, pvc traps seem to always leak for me.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Custom homes will get custom finish or what ever specs call for. If it's visible not in a cabinet.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Off topic, Ron so I take it you guys use ABS over there? I only messed with PVC.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
We have have bot PVC and ABS, but I use ABS, a few plumbers here use PVC.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there any particular reason why you like ABS over PVC?
If a person around here converted to useing ABS, they would have to buy truck loads of ABS-PVC mips and fips so they won't commingle(sp) per code. Glue for abs and pvc is not approved material in Illinois, last I knew. Was told that at our last further edu class (4hrs) that is mandatory by the state.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I find ABS lighter to handle, and easier to manipulate into floor joint with out the need for coupling, you can force abs to bend enough to get it into drilled out joist or studs.

There is no all purpose glue, they claim there is and it does exist but it's not code approved.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It just hit me, I couldn't think of it earlier. They call it ABS-PVC Transition Cement/Glue. I think?

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Green Glue, yes can only be used on one joint, thats outside the foundation, never inside according to my code.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
We're required to ouse sched 40 for traps, I know you guys get to use tubular, but not us.
ABS is legal here, but good luck finding a supplier that has more than token scraps of it around here.

As for transition cement, it's actually legal here....made an ass of myself by firmly arguing it wasn't, until I looked it up and found it recently listed on my states approved products list.
I still wouldn't use it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I use PVC or poly traps unless it's commercial or exposed. They will outlast the chrome ones about 4 to 1 here and of course the cost is far less. I'm thrilled that my supplier now stocks the PVC traps with an ABS adapter. (We use ABS in this area.)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I find ABS lighter to handle, and easier to manipulate into floor joint with out the need for coupling, you can force abs to bend enough to get it into drilled out joist or studs.
*add - Only have to dauber each hub, and spg end ONE TIME, not twice. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Also, ABS glue peels off the hands, primer stains for weeks. :cry:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts