Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys ,

In your state or areas do you have a good Trade School or Apprentice program that you can find really good help / employees ??

I could use one or two good ,young helper/apprentices but can't seem to find a good source or contact .

DO NOT want to put an ad in the paper . DO WANT someone who has 1/2 an idea of what is going on already . Someone who wants this to be their long term profession .

Feedback ??

Cal

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Agreed. We are Union also. Thats were all our employees come from. Its hard to find people that want to do this for a living, down here at least. Our local is small and I think we are the lowest paid in the state. Everyone is open shop contractors which is fine, but that is where all the help goes down here. They see big dollar signs when they start out but they dont have the benifits that we have......and they will never have the chance to travel and work if they choose too.

I would ask around and maybe word will travel without putting an ad in the paper. I understand what you mean every dude on a bike will be coming in wanting a job, and not a long term profession.....

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Here there is an apprenticeship program, you don't get to choose who you want, it's who ever is at the top of the list, if an apprentice gets fired or laid off, from the employer, that apprentice does not work for the same employer but goes back on the list and moves to top of list, employer then get next one at top of the list, it's a hit and miss thing here.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
We are so small here that the employer can choose which appren. they want. We have 0 appren. on the books. I think there are maybe 4 plumbing appre. in school as of may. and thats why we cant find help either. I think we have one plumber on the books and thats because no one wants to hire him, plus there are only 2 union contractors in town.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have a wonderful Appr. Program here too . ( Went through it for 4 years myself )

HOWEVER ,,, they seem to do NOTHING to let the local plumbers and businesses know ANYTHING about the folks enrolled in the program.

Guess I just gotta dig deeper !

Cal

·
Eoin.fewer
17 Posts
in ireland there are too many apprentices and there standard isnt great i pride myself in my work i might take longer but its done right and thats why i dont have a job anymore. employers go for fast not quailty.. in out get money. all they think about. if i worked for myself story would be different...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts