Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
I have seen, I have looked at, and I have not started it. It would be easy to do for me since I am fully computerized in the van, but geeze, more work?

I have a really organized van, so it is easy for me to know what i have on the shelves. I also have apretty good idea of investment, very important for IRS.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
oh boy, hope the IRS does not see this, it is an estimated amount...;)

close though. I could go in and make a list anytime, this is how organized my van is ;)

Hows Albuquerque? miss it, trying to get the wife to vacation over there, I have alot of friends in Albuquerque and Santa fe, love it, very pretty, just hard ot make the $$

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well an estimate is good enough :), the company i work for has hundreds of thousands of dollars in stock on their trucks and in the store room and believe me there is no way they can keep track of it all with out putting somebody on full time. I think i would like to track what I sell every day just so i can restock that every few days. Nothing worse that not having something you need on the truck!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Albuquerque is good. The HAVC side is hurting bad, not a lot of people are willing to shell out the thousands of dollars needed to install AC systems. But plumbing is steady, it has slowed a little but people need their plumbing so they usually go with the estimates. There are a few companies going under here though that have a lot vested in HVAC. In fact one i worked for before i got fired is going under, cant say im sorry for them! :laughing:

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Well an estimate is good enough :), the company i work for has hundreds of thousands of dollars in stock on their trucks and in the store room and believe me there is no way they can keep track of it all with out putting somebody on full time. I think i would like to track what I sell every day just so i can restock that every few days. Nothing worse that not having something you need on the truck!

I keep a note book in reach and make it a habit to write down everthing I take from the van, the larger jobs I purchase at the supply house.

Very important to write down what you take, once the paper is full, or I have a good list of truck stoch to refill, I put it on the visor for when I am at the supply house, I then purchase it as truck stock.

It takes some time getting used to, but write it down and refill it later.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Using Quickbooks to inventory Water heaters, toilets and big items would be worth it. The small parts and pieces will drive you nuts.

Example: You buy all your fill valves from ABC Co. and record that in Quickbooks. You sell the item and it is deducted from inventory. Couple of weeks later, you need more, but rather than get them at ABC Co., you go to Co. D because you need Amer. Standard items and ABC is a Kohler dealer & you're not making two supply house runs. New numbers and slightly different pricing on the fill valves, but you aren't going to drive an extra 5 miles to save 35 cents either.

Then one day you go to Lowes and Fill Valves are half price, so you pick up two dozen. Try to account for that mess! Plus, plumbing incidentals fluctuate in price (sometimes week to week). Our pricing also fluctuates depending on the quantity of any given item ordered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts