Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what torch you use. I am thinking of going to map gas. I no alot of plumbers that use it. I just wonder how long a bottle will last. Thanks

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Which size tank are you referring to? The small hand held bottle is designed for convenience and ease of use, not longevity. Or course, a spare tank in the truck will keep you from running out at an inconvenient moment.. For bigger jobs, instead of an acetylene 'B' tank, I use Propylene in the 7.5 tank w/a Turbo Torch regulator, hose and tip set up. I used to use Mapp rigs of the same size until my supplier (Airgas) switched over to Propylene, which burns cleaner and doesn't liquify as easily. Lasts a lot longer than acetylene. Burn characteristics are a little different, but the adjustment is pretty quick. And the tank is about half as heavy as a B tank.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well, I use the MAPP very sparingly. I still love the B tank with a soft flame tip. For my taste, it offers a lot more flame control than a turbo style:)

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I prefer MAPP when doing small amounts of work or on a ladder. Ground level in commercial where I will be doing 8 to 10 hours of soldering I use acetylene.

·
Registered
584 Posts
We have a hand held we use when their are just a few fittings to be done. When it's more then just a few the B tank comes out.

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
Mapp Gas had dropped in price a little.

I bought 3 tanks the other night at Lowe's and it was just like $16 for all 3.

It used to be like $9/tank there.

·
Banned
383 Posts
i use a turbo torch w/ mapp for day to day small stuff. and keep a uniweld w/ an acetyline b-tank for bigger stuff and silver soldering.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Test time.

The B in B tank stands for?

The MC in MC tank stands for?
What is the bigger acetylene tank called, larger then the B tank the ones that are usually used for cutting and heating metal. I've never heard anyone mention the name of those things.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Test time.

The B in B tank stands for?

The MC in MC tank stands for?
I don't know how true this really is but I heard that the "B" tank is so called because it was used on buses to power the lights, and the "MC" tank was used on motorcycles for the same reason.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I don't know how true this really is but I heard that the "B" tank is so called because it was used on buses to power the lights, and the "MC" tank was used on motorcycles for the same reason.
:thumbsup: Prest-O-Lite held the original patents on these tanks. I believe they only powered the head lamps. They came in many sizes. From what I could find doing a Google Book search:
"A" tank- 70 cu ft of gas
"B" tank- 40 " "
"E" tank- 30 " "
"MC" tank- 10 " "
In 1915 a full MC tank would power a lamp for 5 to 10 hours. Cost of the tank was $8. And a refill was $1. So, the cost of gas was 10-20 cents per hour, which was probably more then the cost of an hours worth of gasoline used by a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
B=Bus. A bus had two big lights, so it needed more gas. Can you picture a B tank strapped to a bicycle? :laughing:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts