Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's go again .....

I am a BIG Gerber fan !! My standard toilet is the Gerber Viper . Great price , GREAT flush !!! Happy customers !

For comfort height ,,, Gerber Avalanche !!! Ranked # 1 over all the others.

Who's up to bat on this topic ??

Cal

Reactions: Kempsville

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
I have been installing Toto w/g-max for several years. I don't know how many I have installed but it's been a lot. About 6 -8 weeks ago I had my first call back on one. It was on a toilet that had been installed for a couple (maybe 3) months. The fill valve wouldn't shut off. House pressure was fine so I swapped out the fill valve and that was that. I have never found any toilet that performs as well. I get calls on Kohlers not flushing right all the time. Don't see many newer Gerbers. Toto all the way for me.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's absolutely possible that you got a bum Avalanche . Yet these are some AWESOME toilets ! Might be a bad spot in that avalanche .

Toto s are truly great too . IMO the toto is too expensive , also we have a difficult time getting them around my location . I've installed toto s and I'm STILL a Gerber fan .

Kohler , A/S , Crane etc just do NOT compare anymore to the really good toilets . Sorry but that has been my experience.

Cal

Reactions: Kempsville

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
What type of flush mechanism does Gerber use? Is it their version of Toto's G-Max? Everyone else is trying to play catch up to Toto by producing their versions of the Toto G-Max. Do they have fully glazed trapways? How much are you paying for a standard height elongated bowl and tank?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I don't get to choose, but I install a lot of concealed tank Duravit's, and rear outlet tank type Duravits. We install a good number of Toto's as well.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What type of flush mechanism does Gerber use? Is it their version of Toto's G-Max? Everyone else is trying to play catch up to Toto by producing their versions of the Toto G-Max. Do they have fully glazed trapways? How much are you paying for a standard height elongated bowl and tank?
-

-Simple flush valve w/ 1.6 flapper & 400A Ballcock.

-Fully glazed trap

-Elong. White standard height with a seat about $ 125 . Supply house available ONLY !! Which is nice !

Cal

·
Plumbing Contractor
971 Posts
Toto

I install Toto as well I usually install the Drake model :thumbup:
I been thinking of trying Vitra toilet but not 100% sold on them yet! anyone ever used or heard of that brand?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3Kings,

I used Vitra for a couple of years . The biggest problem is not the flush ,,, it is the fact that the flushing action just " Obliterates" everything in it's path , thus leaving a lot of small chunks in the bowl after a flush . Almost like a firecracker or M-80 ,,,, BOOM ! Customers were not overly fond of that trait.

Try the Gerber line ,,,, you'll like it !

Cal

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I dont get to choose either. but when I re plumbed my parents house my mother picked an elongated Kolher. Not sure what model it was. But the flapper is huge. Its got that new quick lock tank to bowl feature, not bolts running through the tank. It flushes like a champ! Loggerheads dont stand a chance!:eek:

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
In the last month I installed 4-5 Gerber Vipers,which is great and today I put in the ADA Avalanche for the 1st time. The Avalanche is awesome.

If they hit retail, which I hope they don't, I will not use them. As far as I know TOTO is only supplied to contractors(?).

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I dont get to choose either. but when I re plumbed my parents house my mother picked an elongated Kolher. Not sure what model it was. But the flapper is huge. Its got that new quick lock tank to bowl feature, not bolts running through the tank. It flushes like a champ! Loggerheads dont stand a chance!:eek:
Kohler Cimmaron, I install them quite a bit and I like them, never had a callback....only praise so far.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I am taking out the problem Gerber Avalanche....what a piece of crap. I'll be sticking with the superior Kohler Cimmaron or Toto. Its not a defect in the bowl, it turns out its a design flaw. I tested today with a very large ball of paper and it plugs the hole too easily. My complaining customer said the same thing, it stops up all the time because the opening is too small for an "Avalanche" named toilet...I agree. The opening is too small, its pathetic compared to a Kohler Cimmaron, Toto Drake G-max or other class 5 toilets.
To be fair though, this customer has a medical problem and very large BMs, so I won't be installing a gravity-flusher this time. I am installing a pressure-assist instead to help 'break it up'....gross, but thats the best way to describe my reasoning.:drink: I should have sold it to the customer originally, but I was trying to save her money by trying out the new gerber avalanche...mistake.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Yesterday I installed 3 Toto "Drake" comfort height water closets and 1 the day before. I'm not sure how many Drakes I have installed this month so far but I know there were at least a couple more (one of these days I'm going to get my hands on one of the Neorests). I price these where they need to be priced so what they cost me really is not even an issue. I think the Kohler may be a little less but I don't know and it really doesn't matter. I have seen brand new Kohler's that would not flush more than 3 squares of paper at at time without stopping up. The last time I installed AS "Champion" was several years ago back when I still did new construction. Out of the 4 I installed, 2 of them required about a 1/2 hour each of tweaking to get them to flush properly, one of them was fine, and the fourth would not work at all and had to be replaced. Toto is my water closet of choice and is the only thing I carry on my truck. I will install anything the ho wants but not before they receive my professional opinion on the matter.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Drake.
The Cimarron is great too, but I don't like the mounting bracket for the tank.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
I sold my most expensive toilet yet. $1600.00 for a Toto "Guinevere". One piece, C2 flush system, comfort height, sanigloss, bone, soft close seat. Had to order it and it won't be here for a few weeks (that sucks).

It absolutely amazes me that someone would pay this for a toilet! The lady is a client and I have previously installed a "Drake" for her (which she loves). She had lots of choices and this is what she wanted. Who am I to argue!

Can't wait to get my hands on one of those "NeoRests" ;)!

·
Banned
913 Posts
Congrats on the $1600.00 toilet sale!

FYI - http://www.toiletabcs.com/toilet-performance.html This is a great resource to see how all toilets compare in independent testing. The link is at the bottom of the page for the complete report.

We use the A/S Cadet III and the Toto Drake almost exclusively. Never had a callback on either toilet. Toto's cost is the only reason that we use an alternative. Both are rated high performance flush.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Congrats on the $1600.00 toilet sale!

FYI - http://www.toiletabcs.com/toilet-performance.html This is a great resource to see how all toilets compare in independent testing. The link is at the bottom of the page for the complete report.

We use the A/S Cadet III and the Toto Drake almost exclusively. Never had a callback on either toilet. Toto's cost is the only reason that we use an alternative. Both are rated high performance flush.
Thanks. It's always good to sell nicer things. Most people can't or won't afford them.

I notice you are from SC. I am writing this from the beach house at sunny Garden City, SC! Only 2 more days of vacation :cry:!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts