Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

Registered
In Illinois they will let us use a 4"X3" elbow where you can bring 4 " pipe up above finished floor level .Flooring guy can floor tight to 4 " pipe and then I can come back after, cut pipe with internal pipe cutter and then glue flange in place above Flooring. I really like doing it this way . Flooring guys like it also.

That's one reason why I like the TKO flanges, although I would never reduce like that. You can glue them inside 4" pipe.

I was helping a guy rough a slab in a commercial basement, only the steel frame was on the foundation walls so not much to go by. I thought we were roughing in the drops from the 1st floor because we were stubbing 10' sticks up. I finally realized we were roughing in for toilets and I asked him why we didn't just do 24" or so pieces. He said because no matter how I cap them they still get phucking concrete in them!!!!! They take the phucking caps off!!!

Registered
Was that one in the photo stainless?
Yes, I also said my bosses spec stainless flanges.

And when they don't specify stainless or the supply house sends us regular we send them back and order stainless.

Reactions: dhal22

Registered
No, because you don't do service! lolz

I have just about completely phased out new construction and remodels, almost service these days. And all licensed plumbers as well, 3 master plumbers (4 counting me) and 1 journeyman with an offer going out to an ex employee journeyman plumber tomorrow. Plus 2 helpers means a lot of service work to keep us busy.

Registered
Yes, I also said my bosses spec stainless flanges.

And when they don't specify stainless or the supply house sends us regular we send them back and order stainless.
Sorry, didn't look close enough. Good for you on stainless, adding that to my company rules tomorrow. Why am I drawing a blank on stainless flanges? I will figure that out tomorrow.

Registered
I have just about completely phased out new construction and remodels, almost service these days. And all licensed plumbers as well, 3 master plumbers (4 counting me) and 1 journeyman with an offer going out to an ex employee journeyman plumber tomorrow. Plus 2 helpers means a lot of service work to keep us busy.

Weren't you the one saying how service isn't profitable?

Reactions: sparky

Registered
No, I was talking new(replace) vs rebuild. Shower valves, faucets, etc. We do both but rebuild can be a money losing approach.

Registered
No, I was talking new(replace) vs rebuild. Shower valves, faucets, etc. We do both but rebuild can be a money losing approach.
I don't see how rebuild could be money losing assuming you're still filling a 40hr work week. I have to assume you're talking about X% markup on a hundred dollar faucet being more money than that same X% on 20$ in parts.

If you're equating flat rate with replacement and t&m with repair than why would you think you couldn't offer flat rate for repairs? Or you must be undervaluing your flat rates on a repair job.

If the repairs aren't holding and you get callbacks than either you don't know how to fix a faucet or you don't know when to fix a faucet and when to replace. We make plenty of money repairing stuff, but only when it makes sense to repair it.

I'm not going to sell someone a new aerator, handle, ball, cap/seal, and seats/springs for a pos modern production delta faucet when it should just be replaced. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Reactions: bawalter

Registered
I think part of the confusion is that I put so much emphasis on repairing faucets because that's my job. 90% of the faucets I touch I repair. If it needs to be replaced I take a picture and order a new faucet that almost always gets put in by someone else. Of course I do install new faucets a lot too, but if a customer has a faucet that should be replaced they usually say that to dispatch who transfers them to the fixtures person to order a new faucet, no assessment visit needed.

We are a much larger company so almost all of us have specialties. I don't carry well pump control boxes or water heater thermostats or elements. I also don't fix water softeners. Have I had to deal with that stuff? Sure, but not if dispatch can avoid it. I carry three boxes of faucet parts while another guy has three boxes of water treatment parts.

Reactions: bawalter

Registered
That would be a valid point if we were doing track housing. We do houses in the 5k-25k sq. ft. range.

We do higher end work and the customers expect quality. I would guess that's why our service ends up being more profitable as well. A couple weeks ago I replaced a 364$(cost to us) thermostatic waterworks cartridge made in france. Lord only knows what the customer got charged.
See if you can find out what they charged and let us know,I'm curious as to what they charged,I'd say they marked it up 50% then labor

Registered
In Illinois they will let us use a 4"X3" elbow where you can bring 4 " pipe up above finished floor level .Flooring guy can floor tight to 4 " pipe and then I can come back after, cut pipe with internal pipe cutter and then glue flange in place above Flooring. I really like doing it this way . Flooring guys like it also.
We do it this way also,can't beat it no way to mess it up

41 - 54 of 54 Posts