Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awesome, a real testimonial! I will need to get some.
I use a 2 gallon shop vac to get the water out of the stools. I love it.

In Christ,

Song Dog

I saw this in another thread and didn't want to hijack the thread.

Song Dog...Although the idea of vacuuming out the water probably works well, I use a manual draw suction extractor I found at an irrigation supply house. It resembles those water toys you get for sucking up water and blasting your buddies out on the river. Anyway, I use this to suck up the water, then blast it back through the trap after emptying all the water from the tank.

I then open a large plastic trash bag and place it on the floor next to the toilet I'm removing. I place the toilet in the bag, pull it up around the toilet and haul it out to the truck. No mess, any residual water or wax is contained in the trash bag.

The idea of having piss water in my vacuum, sucks. I need the vacuum for cleaning up.

Any one else do it this way?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
If I can I will take the tank off the bowl for a lighter haul out the door, I will use those 4 x 8 painter drop cloths for floor protection.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
i get all the water out of the tank with a sponge, then i use the plunger on the bowl to push out as much water possible. Then, i remove the tank from the bowl and take out. Then i pull toilet and set on piece of showerpan, even though there is still a little bit of water left in bowl, i carry outside keeping the nose of the bowl slightly tilted so that the water does not exit the trap. After unboxing new toilet, i stick old tank and bowl in the new tank and bowl boxes and set by road. Many customers say that they like that, that it looks better than having an old crapper out front by the driveway. Keeps kids from being themselves and destroying them. alot of HOAs have rules too agianst that type of debirs being left by the road fo rpickup. Plus if i have to dispose of, its just easer that way vs putting on another set of latex gloves.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Awesome, a real testimonial! I will need to get some.
I use a 2 gallon shop vac to get the water out of the stools. I love it.

In Christ,

Song Dog

I saw this in another thread and didn't want to hijack the thread.

Song Dog...Although the idea of vacuuming out the water probably works well, I use a manual draw suction extractor I found at an irrigation supply house. It resembles those water toys you get for sucking up water and blasting your buddies out on the river. Anyway, I use this to suck up the water, then blast it back through the trap after emptying all the water from the tank.

I then open a large plastic trash bag and place it on the floor next to the toilet I'm removing. I place the toilet in the bag, pull it up around the toilet and haul it out to the truck. No mess, any residual water or wax is contained in the trash bag.

The idea of having piss water in my vacuum, sucks. I need the vacuum for cleaning up.

Any one else do it this way?

Actually the water I get out isn't nasty at all. If it is a tad dirty, I will flush it or plunge it, add water and plunge it again. Then shop vac it out. I keep the canister in the cab so it will stay thawed out. It doesn't stink at all. I do use a trash bag to set the stool on.
I take the tank off to, to make it lighter getting out. I haven't figured out in the world to get the tank off a one piece yet:laughing:

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Registered
112 Posts
If the water in the bowl is not clean, I sell the customer a shop vac and toss it in their garbage can.

I always use a shop vac. I also use a garbage bag to wrap the toilet in. Sometimes I take the tank off to make it lighter if I have to cary it a long ways or traverse stairs.

I would much rather use a shop vac than a sponge...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
You " Sell the customer a shop vac " ???? What ??

Cal

·
Registered
67 Posts
i use a suction tool i bought @ TOOLS4FLOORING.COM its call TO THE LAST DROP SUCTION GUN. its specifically for toilets but ofcourse it can be used for other things. this is a great tool that i would recommend you add to your tools, check it out.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Thats cool but it is kinda spendy.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
i use a suction tool i bought @ TOOLS4FLOORING.COM its call TO THE LAST DROP SUCTION GUN. its specifically for toilets but ofcourse it can be used for other things. this is a great tool that i would recommend you add to your tools, check it out.
i have that tool as well. got mine from wolverine brass

·
Registered
112 Posts
You " Sell the customer a shop vac " ???? What ??

Cal
yup. If I am sucking up ***** piss, puke, and tampons; they just bought a shop vac. No way I am putting it back in my van. I tell them upfront, of course. I have never had a customer say "no, I'm not paying for the shop vac". They are too embarassed to discuss it so they say fine and they are usually at the point where they just want it fixed. Whatever I say goes as far as they are concerned. They are just happy to get it fixed.

I do love smelling up the house :) I always point the shop vac exhaust towards the door and the entire house will smell like a sewer :) Thats what they get for calling me in to retrieve a cell phone out the stoll. Who talks on the phone while dropping a load anyways?

I also charge them for shoes if I am walking around in cat piss or something...

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
yup. If I am sucking up ***** piss, puke, and tampons; they just bought a shop vac. No way I am putting it back in my van. I tell them upfront, of course. I have never had a customer say "no, I'm not paying for the shop vac". They are too embarassed to discuss it so they say fine and they are usually at the point where they just want it fixed. Whatever I say goes as far as they are concerned. They are just happy to get it fixed.

I do love smelling up the house :) I always point the shop vac exhaust towards the door and the entire house will smell like a sewer :) Thats what they get for calling me in to retrieve a cell phone out the stoll. Who talks on the phone while dropping a load anyways?

I also charge them for shoes if I am walking around in cat piss or something...
Seems to me , as a plumbing professional that means we have the tools to do the job. Not, "you're gonna have to buy a shop vac or some shoes".

Reactions: Protech

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ILPlumber...I'm pretty sure we all agree with that...Who buy's ya shoes?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Seems to me , as a plumbing professional that means we have the tools to do the job. Not, "you're gonna have to buy a shop vac or some shoes".
As a professional, I do carry the tool to do the job. It just happens to be a one time use tool :) If you want to clean out a shop vac full of sewage I guess you are a better plumber than me... I can live with that I suppose ;)

They don't have to buy it. But if they want me to fix their problem its on my terms. I am more than happy to refer out a clogged toilet. I'll be out that door so fast...

What do you do with a toilet full of sh.it? I can only think of one realistic way to clear it and thats a shop vac...

I think its entirely reasonable to make them buy the shop vac used to suck out their mess. Afterall, its their problem not mine and they called me. I have never had a customer complain about it. They understand 100% and all say they would do exactly the same. Its never even an issue. I charge them an extra $50 and they are EXTREMELY happy I fixed their toilet.

·
Registered
112 Posts
ILPlumber...I'm pretty sure we all agree with that...Who buy's ya shoes?

I'd just add the price to the bill and the accounting department would cut me a check. I was told by the boss thats what we do in nasty situations if we elect to. I think he would rather us find a way to get the job done than refer it out. If that means getting the customer to buy shoes, so be it... The boss is not going make me stand in sewage at my expense. All problems belong to the customer. Think about it...

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I'd just add the price to the bill and the accounting department would cut me a check. I was told by the boss thats what we do in nasty situations if we elect to. I think he would rather us find a way to get the job done than refer it out. If that means getting the customer to buy shoes, so be it... The boss is not going make me stand in sewage at my expense. All problems belong to the customer. Think about it...
Hmm
If I was your boss I'd tell you to get the tools you need to do your job!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts