Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Today's Service Calls

118K views 3K replies 45 participants last post by  Tommy plumber 
#1 ·
I’ll be running service today as usual.

I have a 4” clay sewer with pine tree roots in it. It’s about 65’ long and I installed a cleanout in the line about 5-6 yrs ago. She calls about once every couple years with the line backing up.

She will not replace it……

So, I’m going over to collect my $200 and sweat my nuts off in the process.

This afternoon I have some inside repair work. Replace some toilet stop valves,rebuild the toilets, repair some faucets, etc.

Nothing major, just how I like it.

What are you guys doing ?

#10 ·
The usual cheaters here. Guy wanted to relocate the vent in the upstairs wall to install a huge window. He didn't tell me it needed to be repiped in the attic. He didn't want to sign the contract because he didn't want to pay my time to get my ladder. Then he found his own ladder while complaining it was only a 1 hour job, it was expensive etc. The freaking thing in the attic was the main stack going through the roof with a branch. There wasn't room to do it easily without cutting most of it out and swearing to repipe. Told the guy call somebody else it's almost in the soffit, there's no room and have to redo all that too, it will take several hours and there's no plywood to lay down in this 200 degree attic. The window guy was pissed the window was already out, they asked for a cap and what the cost of it was, it's F-N free!

I'm outa here!

Karma was instant today, there you go you whinner.

#11 ·
my techs day,
50 gal electric first thing 1300
shower curtain rod for regular client we just did reno bathroom for 200.00
kitchen faucet replacement owner provided 200.00
replace boiler drains at washing machine outlet box 200.00

residential crew, started rennovation/flip installing 1" gas line with mega press for new range and tankless in crawl space

commercial crew 1 staff of 5 continued working on 750,000 sq ft structure weve dubbed "mega tron"

commercial crew 2 staff of 4 worked on GA site consisting of 3 24k sq ft buildings.

i did 3 estimates, got another bid sent out, scoped and located one sewer line for bathroom additions at a commercial space. taught inspector how to read his code book at another commercial reno we wrapped up the wall roughs on yesterday.

tommorow about more of the same, have a jet job set up for 8:30, slab leak after that, couple more bids to send out.

#12 ·
my techs day,
50 gal electric first thing 1300
shower curtain rod for regular client we just did reno bathroom for 200.00
kitchen faucet replacement owner provided 200.00
replace boiler drains at washing machine outlet box 200.00

residential crew, started rennovation/flip installing 1" gas line with mega press for new range and tankless in crawl space

commercial crew 1 staff of 5 continued working on 750,000 sq ft structure weve dubbed "mega tron"

commercial crew 2 staff of 4 worked on GA site consisting of 3 24k sq ft buildings.

i did 3 estimates, got another bid sent out, scoped and located one sewer line for bathroom additions at a commercial space. taught inspector how to read his code book at another commercial reno we wrapped up the wall roughs on yesterday.

tommorow about more of the same, have a jet job set up for 8:30, slab leak after that, couple more bids to send out.
How far out wold you be if I called you for residential full bath remod, gutted, moving two fixture locations? About two years ago when I was fulltime’ish with my master (and my business), we’d be looking at 3-4 weeks. Everyone out here’s about the same.

#37 ·
not really ever a slow day here. i have 11 guys working in the field. i spend time in the office and out doing estimates or buying materials and dropping it off between phone calls and what not. i am leaving for orlando shortly though to go camping. may give a few of the guys friday off with pay too just as a little thank you.

#39 ·
So far the phone has bee quiet today, which is what I’ve been hoping for. I need to go through my truck figure out what I need to restock. It was nice when I was working for my master. He had a fully stocked poll barn. At the end of the day we’d just restock. I don’t have room in my garage for much more than a case of bag trap, copper, pex and a case of wax rings. I keep pvc pipe under my porch.

#40 ·
sounds like that guy had a great setup, you do too, you just need a little more space.

I like to stock my truck and have a stockroom like your master did. That allows me to take advantage of bulk buying for discounts and keeps me out of the supply house and big box store.

I restock based off my previous days material list off my invoices. I itemize my material on an invoice. This keeps my truck fully stocked at most all times but not overstocked.

#42 ·
You can find some awesome deals on eBay! Amazon too.

Last year a customer bought a new lav and faucet from a box store. When I got there the faucet was 4” and the counter top was 8”. She was on a budget and went Amazon, found a 8” Moen for $67! Retail was just under $300. So I ordered one for the truck.

I don’t do a lot of plumbing anymore. At least jobs that require a master. The basic rule of thumb here is you need a license to change the plumbing system. I can repair anything as long as I don’t change it. So I don’t carry a whole lot of material. When I come across a repipe or remod, I have another master I bring in. We basically split the job 50/50.

#49 ·
Taking care of loose ends today and last minute repairs before the Holiday starts.

A couple of years ago when Covid hit and everything was locked down, I decided to purchase a large property and home on the river so my kids would have fun at home.

So we will probably cookout, swim, fish and take the boat down the river and out into the Gulf of Mexico. There’s a few barrier islands that I walk around at night with a light and gig flounder. Gotta watch out for the bull sharks and the stingrays though…….

fun fun !!!! 👍

#51 ·
Taking care of loose ends today and last minute repairs before the Holiday starts.

A couple of years ago when Covid hit and everything was locked down, I decided to purchase a large property and home on the river so my kids would have fun at home.

So we will probably cookout, swim, fish and take the boat down the river and out into the Gulf of Mexico. There’s a few barrier islands that I walk around at night with a light and gig flounder. Gotta watch out for the bull sharks and the stingrays though…….

fun fun !!!! 👍
Ya,sure lolololololo

#62 ·
I can name you restoration companies in my area that “I’ve“ done work for that are far worse than Servpro! One company I left diddling themselves on a weekend for non payment. I felt bad for the HO, but she wasn’t going to pay. I told them the demo crew dumped a bunch of crap down the main and need to have it jetted. Plus I hadn’t been paid, over two months, and I’m not a bank. Don’t call me again. Got a check in the mail the next week. Haven’t heard from them since. Good riddance!

Heres an example of a $440k fire job they did….(insurance and upgrades)

Wood Gas Dead bolt Metal Ceiling

#65 · (Edited)
Had a toilet today backing up. Lav and shower runs fine.

Ran my closet auger through and didn’t hit anything. Tried to extend it out another 3’ and the tube was dented and it wouldn’t extend out.

Got my sawzall out and cut the dent out.

Extended out to 6’ total and didn’t hit anything.

Going back tomorrow to pull the toilet and clean the toilet branch. 100 degrees in the house.

I’m charging extra for how hot it is in there, unnecessarily hot. I’m adding $100. That’ll buy a new auger and a 6-pack.