Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sitting on the fence about which way to go about installing a 3 piece bath in my own house. I have no problem jacking the floor and running the traditional sump system but am curious if any have worked with a macerating toilet and can offer any feed back on how they perform.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have only seen a macerating system on paper but my understanding is that you can run a 3 piece bath through it ,although to me it sounds a bit unprofessional. just curious if any have had experience with it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have no experience with them, but of course see them in the trade magazines.

I remember the up-flushing toilets and what a joke they were. Personally, I'd think the sewer sump was far easier to service. And if you're concerned, you can look into water-powered pumps and water alarms and all sorts of other things to add to the security. But plug a toilet into a tank and when it fails you've got a very interesting problem to solve.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Not a huge fan of the macerating toilets but then I'm not a big an of ejection systems either. Here's why. Besides fishing in the poo when they fail, pumping and maceration the poo leaves billions of very small poo particles that get put into suspension withing the septic tank. These suspended particles choke the oxygen from the system and kill off the necessary bacteria leading to premature failure of the leach bed. In NH and many other states, you are required to up size the tank and leach bed by 50% if either system is installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts