Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a call booked yesterday at a condo (in Pickering Ont.) to change a vanity faucet & PO, Super quick and easy job...
I opened the vanity cabinet and saw “Kitec” -yeah!
No shut offs, but with 1/2”x3/8” adaptors, BONUS: the hot side had a drip on it, it had been slowly dripping for a while.

I told the client that she has Kitec pipe, and I won’t touch it, no way, no how, no matter how much money.
She knew nothing about it.
IE: the condo Corp hasn’t said anything to the owners about kitec pipe and getting it replaced.
I told her she needs to contact the condo board/management and talk to them about why they haven’t or when the Kitec will be replaced.
She wasn’t happy, but contacted the condo/management today And then she called me back saying: They told her to not worry about the Kitec it’s ok, and if her plumber won’t change the faucet just get another plumber...
wow. That’s awesome.
so it’s sucks to be her, I’m not touching it. Sound like the condo management is ignorant and not taking any responsibility, and don’t or won’t care til sheit hits the fan, then they’ll blame the plumber.
Fcuk that.

any of you guys willing to touch Anything attached “Kitec piping”?
I’m not, esp in a condo on the 19th floor.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
I've never seen it other than the 3/4" from the street which is safe but for waterlines inside the house ;

With muddy words the association wrote in the magazine not to touch it because contractors were sued when they serviced them.

Complete re-pipe or nothing.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my experience it tends to be “blue for cold” and “orange for hot”. I’m not sure if there was other versions. I rarely see it.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
.....................any of you guys willing to touch Anything attached “Kitec piping”?
I’m not, esp in a condo on the 19th floor.
I had to cut out a 3' piece of 3/4" some guy used to patch a pinholed copper line. That was about 5 years ago. He used sharkbites !!!! lolz Best part was, it was an hvac guy not just some random handy man. The water got between the layers and split the outer most layer. It's meant to seal from the inside.

·
Banned
Plumber, Pipe Fitter, General Gas Fitter, Oil burner Mechanic Plus more Certificates
421 Posts
In my experience it tends to be “blue for cold” and “orange for hot”. I’m not sure if there was other versions. I rarely see it.
That's the stuff with an aluminum sleeve inside the plastic. I have only seen it used for service lines.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
That's the stuff with an aluminum sleeve inside the plastic. I have only seen it used for service lines.
when I first saw that crap I didnt like it,I think it was also called pex al pex..the rep did a demonstation at a supply house and you had to shave the pipe for some fittings, it was way too much trouble, and if it ever froze it was garbage because the aluminium sleeve split...thanks canada for such a great product..LOL..I never used it so im good...
kitec2.jpg
kitec3.jpg

·
Banned
Plumber, Pipe Fitter, General Gas Fitter, Oil burner Mechanic Plus more Certificates
421 Posts
when I first saw that crap I didnt like it,I think it was also called pex al pex..the rep did a demonstation at a supply house and you had to shave the pipe for some fittings, it was way too much trouble, and if it ever froze it was garbage because the aluminium sleeve split...thanks canada for such a great product..LOL..I never used it so im good...
View attachment 127903 View attachment 127904
I carried fittings in my trucks for repairs that was it. Some cities her in Saskatchewan required it for underground up to 1-1/4". I hated it.
The stuff I saw here all had Made in the USA on it. They told me it was the best replacement for Poly B and Cold flare.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I carried fittings in my trucks for repairs that was it. Some cities her in Saskatchewan required it for underground up to 1-1/4". I hated it.
The stuff I saw here all had Made in the USA on it. They told me it was the best replacement for Poly B and Cold flare.
there may have been a USA manufacture, but im sure it sucked just as much...good old normal pex works the best...

·
Super Moderator
8,836 Posts
there may have been a USA manufacture, but im sure it sucked just as much...good old normal pex works the best...
While I like the brass rehau fittings, I don’t care for their pex pipe. I have no idea what I use now, but have had better experience it from a different supply house than my usual one.
We switched to the crimp ring system. Not the stainless pinch, the actual ring.

We switched to the ring system from Rehau because of the cost of fittings. Cost was the same as an all soldered copper repipe. We couldn’t compete.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
While I like the brass rehau fittings, I don’t care for their pex pipe. I have no idea what I use now, but have had better experience it from a different supply house than my usual one.
We switched to the crimp ring system. Not the stainless pinch, the actual ring.

We switched to the ring system from Rehau because of the cost of fittings. Cost was the same as an all soldered copper repipe. We couldn’t compete.
I have only used the copper crimp rings, and again never had a failure of a good crimped ring...so there was no need to look at any other type..

·
Banned
421 Posts
I have only used the copper crimp rings, and again never had a failure of a good crimped ring...so there was no need to look at any other type..
I remember when I first ran into it they said no crimp rings. We had to use a compression fitting with two O-rings inside, two wrenches to tighten it. The slightest bit of dirt and they leaked the O-rings didn't like chlorine.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I remember when I first ran into it they said no crimp rings. We had to use a compression fitting with two O-rings inside, two wrenches to tighten it. The slightest bit of dirt and they leaked the O-rings didn't like chlorine.
for pex tubing??? got a pic of that fitting??

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The one in the link looks close to what we used.
The kitec around here used fittings extremely similar to viega manifold fittings. A split ferrule and a nut that compressed the ferrule onto the kitec and onto a central barb. That's how all of the kitec had been installed around here, not that there was much of it. Because it was such a stiff connection the kitec would rip around right where it went into the nut. We used to replace a lot of it.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Like I said before Kitec under a new name is still in use today in all new construction as a water main from the street to the house, once inside it transitions to pex. No issues with that part, I have some fittings in the van when I need to put in a new main valve. The problem were the lines inside the house.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Like I said before Kitec under a new name is still in use today in all new construction as a water main from the street to the house, once inside it transitions to pex. No issues with that part, I have some fittings in the van when I need to put in a new main valve. The problem were the lines inside the house.
In the larger diameters, 1" plus, I agree, it's plenty sturdy. I can't recall, is it Copper Tube Size or schedule 40 in those larger sizes? Schedule 40 would be thicker. I think the CTS kitec was the same thickness as K copper.

I know wiith the yellow poly gas pipe we use the smaller sizes up to 3/4" are CTS and then when we use 1" and larger it switches to schedule 40 dimensions.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I opened the vanity cabinet and saw “Kitec” -yeah!

any of you guys willing to touch Anything attached “Kitec piping”?
Back when Kitec was still a thing I never used it except on one job where for some reason the customer wanted it for their radiant heating. So I bought an overpriced 1/2" crimper, crimped a total of 11 joints, and then Kitec went out of business. Great. :(:mad:

So I had this brand new crimper on the shelf for years and years. Useless, but too nice to throw away. A few months ago I went to chuck it in the trash and thought to myself, "Self, that sure looks a lot like a PEX size. I wonder...". I crimped a couple PEX test crimps and gauged them. It works perfect for PEX. Same size exactly.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts