Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
If you decide to pour a new joint ask around if anyone you know has an old joint runner that you could borrow. An old seasoned one works better than a brand new one. If you have to have to use a new one wipe it down with some cutting oil before you use it. In the meantime check eBay for used ones in good condition. Also ask for white oakum at the supply house. The white oakum packs much tighter and will swell and seal faster than the traditional hemp stuff. I also use a 4x3 no hub reducer to hold my ladle. This allows me to use one hand to hold my torch and scoop all the impurities out of the lead with an iron.
Why not just use lead wool and melt it a bit with a torch if need be? I've done this a couple times and it works great.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I’ve never seen or been taught this method before.
It's fine threads of lead, comes in a package like wet spaghetti in a pot. You pack it in real similar to oakum. By the time you're done using your iron you can't even tell it wasn't melted.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you decide to pour a new joint ask around if anyone you know has an old joint runner that you could borrow. An old seasoned one works better than a brand new one. If you have to have to use a new one wipe it down with some cutting oil before you use it. In the meantime check eBay for used ones in good condition. Also ask for white oakum at the supply house. The white oakum packs much tighter and will swell and seal faster than the traditional hemp stuff. I also use a 4x3 no hub reducer to hold my ladle. This allows me to use one hand to hold my torch and scoop all the impurities out of the lead with an iron.
The white oakum has bentonite in it, that's what helps it swell.
You get used to using white oakum and you get spoiled, sucks when you have to go back to the brown.
In 2017 there was a white oakum shortage, lot's of moaning by the guys in the city (Chicago)when they had to use brown. Seems the white is only made by a few companies in Louisiana and the hurricanes shut down the plants

·
Registered
Master Plumber
292 Posts
The white oakum has bentonite in it, that's what helps it swell.
You get used to using white oakum and you get spoiled, sucks when you have to go back to the brown.
In 2017 there was a white oakum shortage, lot's of moaning by the guys in the city (Chicago)when they had to use brown. Seems the white is only made by a few companies in Louisiana and the hurricanes shut down the plants
I can definitely relate. There has been a few times in the past couple of years hen I had to use the brown. I was wishing I had the white stuff the hole time. Haha

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
21 - 26 of 26 Posts