Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
How about way more Info about that you’re talking about?
He dug up old hubbed cast iron and was using a tyseal to put a piece of abs in the hub but it wouldn't go so he got the jack out of his 1993 metallic sand Honda Del Sol.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
He dug up old hubbed cast iron and was using a tyseal to put a piece of abs in the hub but it wouldn't go so he got the jack out of his 1993 metallic sand Honda Del Sol.
so whats the hose clamp for? if its a tight seal you wouldnt have that, and from his terminology I question if hes a plumber...( rubber donut)?????

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
so whats the hose clamp for? if its a tight seal you wouldnt have that, and from his terminology I question if hes a plumber...( rubber donut)?????
Looking at his old posts, 4 of them are for a give away. The intro is ultra weak and said he was an Hvac guy and never really followed up on it.

@Razzy7 you'll need to update your intro.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Looking at his old posts, 4 of them are for a give away. The intro is ultra weak and said he was an Hvac guy and never really followed up on it.

@Razzy7 you'll need to update your intro.
He’s my brother/assistant, page 4 on this thread @Nazareth and I are calling him out for not posting

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
He’s my brother/assistant, page 4 on this thread @Nazareth and I are calling him out for not posting
So if I understand correctly you are nudging him to post more? If so no problem but his intro would benefit from an update.

·
Registered
17 Posts
View attachment 128755 View attachment 128755 View attachment 128755 After long day of broken drill bits and the shoveling the 4” abs wouldn’t go into the rubber Donut and cast!
[/QUOTfE]
Per the Fernco website and experience,
  • Sewer pipe companies do not manufacture their pipe to common dimensional standards. Instead, pipe is produced to the designs and dimensions best suited for each particular sewer system. Because of this, variations in dimensions of pipe bells, hubs and bores are simply too great to permit making a single universal connector.
Suggest cut off bell and use a transition coupling- no-hub type designed for this.

·
Registered
92 Posts
So what makes it so hard is that the abs pipe od is slightly bigger than cast iron pipe. Those tyseals are made for CI pipe, not sure if they make ones for the bigger od of plastic pipes. If possible I'd rather go old school and use oakum and lead. I have never tried a vertical joint. I wouldn't be surprised if the younger guys have no idea what we are talking about. Just like in the near future, the newer plumbers won't know how to solder.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
So what makes it so hard is that the abs pipe od is slightly bigger than cast iron pipe. Those tyseals are made for CI pipe, not sure if they make ones for the bigger od of plastic pipes. If possible I'd rather go old school and use oakum and lead. I have never tried a vertical joint. I wouldn't be surprised if the younger guys have no idea what we are talking about. Just like in the near future, the newer plumbers won't know how to solder.
View attachment 128927 View attachment 128929

Last year I was confronted with a vertical joint that was leaking in a ceiling on a 4" cast. I told them to hire the bigger company. Too much of a bad spot. Too much risk of leaking and all I had was PC4. Would been a nightmare to redo the stack and all the branches in a house that had multiple reno's and additions. I hate those situations having to charge to open ceilings and locate a leak to find out it's a major job I don't want to touch.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
......... If possible I'd rather go old school and use oakum and lead. I have never tried a vertical joint. I wouldn't be surprised if the younger guys have no idea what we are talking about. Just like in the near future, the newer plumbers won't know how to solder.
Lead wool and oakum is a much easier to learn skill than soldering, as long as you don't mind your wrists falling off! I have to imagine the young bucks would be pretty good at that motion though.....;)

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
Master Plumber
292 Posts
View attachment 128927 View attachment 128929
If you decide to pour a new joint ask around if anyone you know has an old joint runner that you could borrow. An old seasoned one works better than a brand new one. If you have to have to use a new one wipe it down with some cutting oil before you use it. In the meantime check eBay for used ones in good condition. Also ask for white oakum at the supply house. The white oakum packs much tighter and will swell and seal faster than the traditional hemp stuff. I also use a 4x3 no hub reducer to hold my ladle. This allows me to use one hand to hold my torch and scoop all the impurities out of the lead with an iron.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts