Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Time Of Service

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  22rifle 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
How many of you request payment at time of service? When I started that, on the service and repair, it made my life easier and actually weeded out the clients you don't desire to have.
Also, having the CCard machine (MC, Visa, and EP) and financing through an outside source is awesome. I can call in a appl. and w/i minutes have an approval. Having that turned a $900 job into a $5000 job. Its almost too easy:thumbsup:

In Christ,

Song Dog

#5 ·
I won't leave without a check, from what I understand, once you have a check it's legally binding...you have much more leverage in court if it bounces vs disputing a written contrac t or work order where the customer has room to fabricate reasons not to pay the amount owed.

I'm wondering who you use for CC payments, and how much is the service?
I've gotten half dozen requests in the last two months for CC payment, vs maybe three in the year before.

#7 ·
I use Thompson Merchant Services. They charge me $18.99 per month for the service. There's a percentage if I ever actually get a CC sale . . .

It's all done on a touch-tone phone, but I have a swipe machine just to be able to give the customer a receipt - about $25 for the machine and the slips are cheap. You don't actually have to have the machine.

#9 ·
Use my bank. Bank of America. Pay about $15 month plus 2.12% on monthly total . Just Visa & Master Card .
It's been very good. People are going to start living more and more off credit and I don't want to leave money on the table .

C

#11 ·
I have entertained the idea of credit cards, nothing yet. I have the place for it on my invoice, I just have not made the attempt yet. I have only had one request.

I like the financing company idea that was mentioned, I would like Song Dog to recommend a company. Another service I can add to my list.

I also like Bank of America, I may use them for my credit card processing.

I agree, I think credit cards are going to be the wave of the future.

I have billing accounts, but they are all commercial customers, I billed a residential customer once, and it took 3 weeks to get the $80 check. that was fun. repeat, commercial customers only get to be billed.:thumbsup:

#12 ·
We use GE Finance. I got hooked up with them from the Franchise days. You can know w/in 5 minutes or so, after the customer fills out the application, if they are approved. Then you finish work, fax sales slip, they do a little stuff on their end and POOF, deposit in your acct.

In Christ,

Song Dog

#13 ·
People do LOVE getting their " Rewards Points " . I have more and more folks seeing the little " Visa/ Mastercard " sticker on my rear window and saying ," Oh GOOD you take plastic "

I call in from the truck , punch in a few numbers and ,,, there it is !
A lot of folks don't have or can't get say ,,,, $1,000. RIGHT NOW . Well that same person knows they will have it soon enough . Why not charge it now and pay it off in a month or so .

On my end ,,, if the whole finance costs me 3% it's a no brainer ,,, I'll give up $30 for that $1000 .

Cal

#14 ·
"CC are the waive of the future." Wow I had to double check the dates on these posts. It is 2008. Credit should be old hat at this point. We are looking for even bigger and better meens by wich both the H.O. as well as commercial account can just say "Yes" today and sign away to get money in my pocket. There are countless finance companies out there that offer all different packages depending on what your willing to give up or pay to get the job. I partially agree with CAL, that if it costs you a few points on the sale to make it, it's a no brainer except that the easy way around that is to simply add in a financing fee, or raise all your prices across the board 3-5% to cover all your costs. CC should be no different than fuel in your truck they should be and should remain a consistant part of your overhead. We have costomers that go in and out of town regularly here we call them "snow birds" many have C.C. on file with us so that we may do most of if not all of our buisness right over the phone. How many items have you purchased in your time that you bought right then and there or "on the spot" because they offered you 6, or 12 or 24 or even 36 months same as cash? I still make payments on my flat screen. Why? Why not let someone else's money do the bull work while mine stays liquid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.