Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
4th year apprentice
806 Posts
How do you guys charge when you have those tight spots? Do you have a difficult access fee or some such, or do you just add more time in your estimate that it will take because of the location?

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Did you check the bottoms of the drawers? A lot of the new drawer tracks are on the bottom of the drawer and have an interesting quick disconnect system. Looks like the type of cabinet that would use them since there isn't much space for tracks between the drawer side and cabinet side.

Ps. Here's a pic of a similar system to what I typically see.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Worst crawl space I had was a total of 16" form the ground to the joist. If you wanted to turn over you had to parallel the joist to do it. Old main street shot gun type building about 100' from front to back 50' side to side. Of course the restroom was in the back.

4" cast from restroom to front where the building sewer was. About midway the cast iron sagged and broke. Had sewage dumping on ground for months. Was at least able to reroute to the dry side. Only had to crawl though it once.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a tight space vanity with drawers going all the way in and only leaving about 4.5 inches of space in the back. Remodel job I just did and owner bought a stupid Ikea vanity.
Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
A few years ago an elderly lady had those vanities/sinks installed and wanted me to hook up the plumbing. I think the drains were an odd size and the cabinet installers lost some parts. She pulled out her computer so we could figure out how to install the drain, she typed in how to install IKEA sink and the first thing that popped up was this comment. “Tell the homeowner to throw that piece of sh!t ikea crap in the trash and get a real sink and vanity”.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,985 Posts
I had to change out this shower valve on the second floor of this home...
the water lines went across the attic eave and I dont know how they never froze up over the years.... you could literally see day light and feel a breeze going by....... there was floorboards to lay on but it was a 2 person job....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/14ab1zlr3Y2y8hhL2

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Worst crawl space I had was a total of 16" form the ground to the joist. If you wanted to turn over you had to parallel the joist to do it. Old main street shot gun type building about 100' from front to back 50' side to side. Of course the restroom was in the back.

4" cast from restroom to front where the building sewer was. About midway the cast iron sagged and broke. Had sewage dumping on ground for months. Was at least able to reroute to the dry side. Only had to crawl though it once.
Probably the tightest I can remember was laying down cardboard so I could slide. My journeyman pushed me into the crawl by my feet while I was on my back with arms extended like superman with 2 pipe wrenches in my hands. At about 7' in I had to loosen a 3/4 galvanized main all by feel. When I got it loose, he pulled the pipe out and slid in a new main, and I had to tighten it back in. Then he pulled me out and bought me lunch:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Looks like you should have just torn the room out......

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
1,842 Posts
This is a fun heat/air change out under the house. The unit is about a 40’ crawl. I told the guy if his last name wasn’t (blank) I would’ve walked on this one. His brother and Mom has given me so much work over the years. View attachment 130601
sheity. The worst thing at this age is crawling. Cuz you will always forget or need something from the truck.
Luckily for me 99%+ of homes in my area have basements.

·
4th year apprentice
806 Posts
I got a talking to one time because I was having a bad day, and the words that I usually think to myself actually came out of my mouth before I even knew it, when I saw the access to a job above the suspended ceiling in this pristine office with all sorts of computer equipment, desks with piles of paperwork, nice carpets, etc, all right below a water heater.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts