Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a new threader. I currently use the Collins 22a and Ridgid 700 mostly. I have multiple sets a ratchet threaders all ridgid, vises, stands, pipe jacks, cutters, reamers, oil buckets etc. I do a ton a gas work, but I work alone. Getting tired of dragging out the Collins, weights close to 300lbs, getting too old for that. The 700 is great, but set up is slow, and it threads much slower. Not a big deal, but when I running a lot of 1.25" and bigger it works you too much.

Thinking of getting a Rothenberger Supertronic S2E or a Ridgid 300 on a 1206 stand. Don't think I need the Ridgid 300 complete kit as I already have so much threading stuff, and will only make the Ridgid heavier. If y'all think one man can easily move a Ridgid 300 complete around, then I might pony up the extra 1500 bucks for that set up to make it faster and easier on jobs. The Rothenberger is a much cheaper, half of the Ridgid cost, but not sure if it will hold up to the abuse, the weight of it and small size appeals to me. Seems like it would be quick to set up and start threading.

Any Rothenberger users here? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
426 Posts
I own several pieces of Rothenberger equipment and it's very high quality stuff. Maybe even better than Ridgid. Those Germans sure know how to build good tools.

Never used the threader personally, though I've known a few plumbers that have and heard good reports.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
A 300 is heavy but it is probably the best option.

You could also use a pony and a tristand but add an arm to the tristand for the pony to kick against.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the support arms for the 700, one from Ridgid and one from Reed. I've used my 700 a ton, it's a great set up, I just do too much gas work for it to be a my main threader which it is. The Collins 22a I have is best I have ever used, better than 300, just getting to big and heavy for me now.

The Rothenberger threader S2E or ROPOWER 50R are made by a Japanese company called Asada, never used one, but they seem to be popular worldwide. I was dead set on a Wheeler Rex 8090, but I had some issues which there tools in the past and there customer service is horrible. Other wise the Wheeler Rex 8090 would have ben the one I would have got.

·
Registered
53 Posts
From my little experience the one time the 300’s really show its weight is in and out the back of the truck/van. If you can figure out a decent ramp where you can pull it by the legs up into the bed it is workhorse. I’ve only seen the power pony go out when guys are just doing one or two threads to hookup a rooftop unit. Never touched anything but ridgid threaders tho

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
I am a creature of habit; I learned to use Ridgid tools while coming up in the trade, and so that is what I purchased when I went out on my own. Ridgid 535 heavy duty pipe threader, Ridgid hand threader and Ridgid pipe stand, Ridgid K-60, Ridgid K-50, etc.

But my friend who is a local plumber here in town owns a Rothenberger suitcase sectional drain cleaning machine and he likes it.

Personally speaking, I don't like the light weight of the Rothenberger pipe threaders; I have seen them at Lowe's and HD. I prefer the heavy-duty weight and quality of the Ridgid machines. My two cents' worth.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier, one of our guys took two pieces of 1" pipe and welded them into a tee, put some wheels on it, and it gets chucked in the jaws of the 300. Then he just wheels it around by holding the feet. I will try to remember to snap a pic this week.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
I am a creature of habit; I learned to use Ridgid tools while coming up in the trade, and so that is what I purchased when I went out on my own. Ridgid 535 heavy duty pipe threader, Ridgid hand threader and Ridgid pipe stand, Ridgid K-60, Ridgid K-50, etc.

But my friend who is a local plumber here in town owns a Rothenberger suitcase sectional drain cleaning machine and he likes it.

Personally speaking, I don't like the light weight of the Rothenberger pipe threaders; I have seen them at Lowe's and HD. I prefer the heavy-duty weight and quality of the Ridgid machines. My two cents' worth.

Plain and simple. Ridgid..............

·
Registered
3,131 Posts

Agreeeeeeeee

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I have a 1962 Collins 22a. It has been an absolute workhorse for me for the last 20 years. I have a nipple chuck for it and I make my own nipples. That thing has paid for itself over and over.

22as thread at 72 rpms. They are going to be a fast machine compared to anything else on the market. Plus it has an automatic chuck. You won’t get that on a Ridgid machine.
A Ridge 535 is going to be your closest but it doesn’t turn as fast, doesn’t oil as well and still weighs a lot (idk how much, but they are heavy AF).

If I was to buy a machine right now, I’d buy a Wheeler-Rex 8090. They are compact, have through the head oil and will thread up to two inch. You can get them smaller if you don’t need the pipe size. The WR will be about 1/2 or 2/3 the cost of a new 22a.

Full disclosure, mules (ridge 300) are my least favorite machine ever. I know everyone loves them, but I hate that they don’t oil and that they messy slow. I’d rather just buy a 700 at that point.

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,358 Posts
Do you deliver??? What kind of shape is 300 in?? Does motor need new brushes???
The unit is about a 1960 vintage... it has been a work horse...
the hand held threader was almost never used and both are for
sale for the low , low price of 1000 cash.... (dirt cheap)

I dont think it needs brushes....but is has lived a long life

come on up to the big city , the bright lights wont hurt you too much...
but bring cash 😆 🤠

Gas Wood Toy Auto part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Ridgid 300 just died on me 3 weeks ago. My Dad bought it in 1970- I guess I expected it to last at least 20 more years. Dropped it off to have the motor and gears rebuilt 2 weeks ago- They haven’t gotten back to me yet with a price and timeframe. Might have to break down and buy a new one. Used ones are really holding their value

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking to buy a new threader. I currently use the Collins 22a and Ridgid 700 mostly. I have multiple sets a ratchet threaders all ridgid, vises, stands, pipe jacks, cutters, reamers, oil buckets etc. I do a ton a gas work, but I work alone. Getting tired of dragging out the Collins, weights close to 300lbs, getting too old for that. The 700 is great, but set up is slow, and it threads much slower. Not a big deal, but when I running a lot of 1.25" and bigger it works you too much.

Thinking of getting a Rothenberger Supertronic S2E or a Ridgid 300 on a 1206 stand. Don't think I need the Ridgid 300 complete kit as I already have so much threading stuff, and will only make the Ridgid heavier. If y'all think one man can easily move a Ridgid 300 complete around, then I might pony up the extra 1500 bucks for that set up to make it faster and easier on jobs. The Rothenberger is a much cheaper, half of the Ridgid cost, but not sure if it will hold up to the abuse, the weight of it and small size appeals to me. Seems like it would be quick to set up and start threading.

I love my Rothenberger so far, about two years in with it, have no desire to switch back to Rex or Rigid.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
My Ridgid 300 just died on me 3 weeks ago. My Dad bought it in 1970- I guess I expected it to last at least 20 more years. Dropped it off to have the motor and gears rebuilt 2 weeks ago- They haven’t gotten back to me yet with a price and timeframe. Might have to break down and buy a new one. Used ones are really holding their value
You can't fix it yourself?

Do you drive an open body pickup truck and do newcon/renos 99% of the time? Hahaha, jk, just had to break your balls a little 😘

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
The unit is about a 1960 vintage... it has been a work horse...
the hand held threader was almost never used and both are for
sale for the low , low price of 1000 cash.... (dirt cheap)

I dont think it needs brushes....but is has lived a long life

come on up to the big city , the bright lights wont hurt you too much...
but bring cash 😆 🤠

View attachment 132978
Ok thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts