Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Was Installing A Gas System Yesterday And Today, The Nearest Wholesaler Is 100 Miles Away I Ordered Couplings For The Long Runs To The Roof Top Units. They Omitted The Couplings Because The Pipe Came Threaded And Coupled. My Problem Is Thier Couplings Are Thread Protectors, Ive Had Leaks In The Past With Them And Have Always Been Told They Are Not The Same As Couplings. What Have You Guys Seen And Heard In This Debate Are They Fine Or Are They Crap.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
There not tapered threads, there not designed for coupling pipes together.

·
Banned
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there Not Tapered Threads, There Not Designed For Coupling Pipes Together.
Thanks Ron, A Straight Answer. Funny Thing Is When I Went To The Local Hardware Store They Had Thread Protectors Instead Of Couplings. I Have A Pretty Good Repore W/ The Owner And He Agreed To Replace Them W/ Regular Black Couplings.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Agreed. Take them and insert them into the nearest trash can. WORTHLESS. Except for protecting the threads until you install it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Agreed. Take them and insert them into the nearest trash can. WORTHLESS. Except for protecting the threads until you install it.
Yup. I throw them out the moment they come off. Otherwise some clown will use them as a coupling and we'll be pulling the gas line apart.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I really wish they would outlaw those or come to their senses and quit making them. Too many people actually think they are couplings. And why would'nt they? Sure look like couplings and work as couplings...

I just cut out my Mom's entire gas line last week. It had about 50 code violations including MANY thread protectors in the system. I told her husband about those not being tapered and he had no clue. Turns out he ran the gas line in their other house and exclusively used thread protectors /sigh I'm going to repipe that house next...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
:laughing: They will seal if you use JB weld as a substitute for pipe dope;)

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
I Was Installing A Gas System Yesterday And Today, The Nearest Wholesaler Is 100 Miles Away I Ordered Couplings For The Long Runs To The Roof Top Units. They Omitted The Couplings Because The Pipe Came Threaded And Coupled. My Problem Is Thier Couplings Are Thread Protectors, Ive Had Leaks In The Past With Them And Have Always Been Told They Are Not The Same As Couplings. What Have You Guys Seen And Heard In This Debate Are They Fine Or Are They Crap.
I agree , the thread protectors suck and I have had leaks as well, but if your stuck using them I would use lamp wick with them

But a tapered coupling is way better, And in fact "thread protectors" won't pass an inspection or code here in NY:rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thread protectors aren't allowed by gas code. Since they don't have tapered threads, it's bad practice to use them anywhere. (except as a cheap nipple chuck, as mentioned earlier)

·
Super Moderator
12,498 Posts
I wonder if the original poster is still searching for an answer in this {6} year old thread.....the original poster hasn't been on PZ since 2009....:laughing:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts