Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this out:

I plumbed in NYC and Long Island for 12 years ALWAYS was told if I did NOT clean my copper it would leak.

I move to NC, and Work for Connor-spear (call them to confirm this), AND they tell me:

"Grit cloth, fitting brush" Naw man, "It's self cleaning flux"

So, I listen and what do you know, I worked for them for like a year thousands of fittings and never cleaned one, or the pipe , just applied flux and soldered, what do you know, NOT one leak...

I move back to NYC, and tell the boys, about this, they laugh at me while I don't clean my fittings and then cry at the end of the day when I am done AND They are still working....

I have seen it and heard it " clean the pipe or else "

NOPE: Self cleaning flux will work....don't believe me try it tomorrow

Feedback?

·
Banned
383 Posts
are you talking about tinning flux? i had one plumber tell me that but i just cant bring myself to not clean pipe and fittings. will it work, maybe. will it work if you clean it, definatly.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Do you have any idea how much damage can be done by a pinhole leak on the 35th floor?

It gets cleaned, twice.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
No, i get you wet head, try it tomorrow like he said, brush some flux on a piece of copper and heat it up with your torch and see if it does not shine like a new penny. Do it all the time, only time i will clean a pipe or fitting is if it is dirty with grime, dirt ect.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
pin hole, lets weak the integrity of the pipe and fittings by sanding them down a milimeter or so. pro press does not require sanding either. Pin holes in fittings that i have took apart are always do to someone not reaming the cuts.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
i've always used nokorode flux and my old boss would ask me about it every time i saw him. "oh, you use that stuff huh?" then he shows me this other stuff that i can't remember the name of but it was "self cleaning". i'm thinking that can't be right and ask him "so you don't have to clean the pipe and fitting with this stuff?"

"no you still have to clean them but it's self cleaning"

:tongue_smilie:

paul

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just straight up oatey #5? thats what i use but not w/ out cleaning. ive seen too many rim soldered joints hold for 20 years and pop apart when cutting in a tee.
dude, seriously try one joint tomorrow on the oldest piece of pipe, Look at Rockstars comment on first page :)

·
Banned
383 Posts
ok. but im going to cut it in half, beat it apart and check. loser has to buy a big mac, and check the bag. oh yeah, 2 more to go.

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
Joe,
the folks at the Copper development agency give seminars on joining copper tube and fittings. For soldering or brazing, you really need to mechanically clean the pipe and fittings. Cleaning creates microscopic subsurface scratches called interstices. The solder actually bonds the two surfaces together. Without cleaning, the solder is more of a gap filler. Check out the CDA website.
http://www.copper.org/homepage.html

Jeff

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Joe,
the folks at the Copper development agency give seminars on joining copper tube and fittings. For soldering or brazing, you really need to mechanically clean the pipe and fittings. Cleaning creates microscopic subsurface scratches called interstices. The solder actually bonds the two surfaces together. Without cleaning, the solder is more of a gap filler. Check out the CDA website.

Jeff
Jeff,

I AGREE 100% , but the BOYS over at Conner-Spear saw it totally different and REFUSED, and In fact ALL of NEWBERN , NC does NOT sell grit cloth or turn brushes :)

I am a "cleaning" man myself trust me and I a sure when the other NYC dudes show up they will agree here in NY we clean, BUT for NC when I worked there they didn't and made me not clean,........and PS Oatey does call is self cleaning :)

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Joe,

Jeff

Oh BTW, I love that site, they sent me a FREE copper sizing calc :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
not cleaning your tube and fitting is insane:eek: likr jjbex said when you clean you are etching the tube this gives your solder something to adhere to:yes:

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
not cleaning your tube and fitting is insane:eek: likr jjbex said when you clean you are etching the tube this gives your solder something to adhere to:yes:

I know, I agree, Dudes call :

Name: Connor-Spear Plumbing Co
Street: 403 Airport Road
New Bern, nc 28560-6619
Phone: (252) 633-1606

ASK THEM,

Say ...Do you remember that "yankee" that used to work for you in 94 , He told us that you dont clean pipe.

Call. Hell call now and leave a message, I bullsh i t you not

1 - 20 of 60 Posts