Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

........This is BULL S***T

5K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  rocksteady 
#1 ·
I personally had to post this ad because I found it so scary.

This guy is offering EMERGENCY service WITHOUT a license...!!!

SO.....UMM.....LIKE what happens when he screws up.....Does the homeowner call a "Emergency, Emergency Plumber"

I bet if we all wrote Craig, ( craigslist) and he WILL respond as I have talked to him before,

Maybe he can make it that they HAVE to be licensed,

Check it out

I mean after all these guys are cutting into all the shops that are licensed, why should these scumbags be even allowed to defraud a customer,

This is almost as bad as allowing drug sales, in fact worse,

See less See more
#10 ·
as surprising as it might be, you aren't required to have liability insurance here in california to have a contractors license. you do need to carry a bond though. so there is some protection to the customer but it's only $12,500. you'd be an idiot to not have general liability insurance but like i said, it's not required.

paul

#12 ·
yeah, it's whack for sure. i was floored when i found that out.

the 3 trade thing is pretty messed up too. i've seen gc's advertise as plumbers around here too. sure they're licensed contractors and some of them say they are allowed to do plumbing in their ads but the general public doesn't know the restrictions. the gc's certainly aren't giving up that information either. would you hire a framer to replace your water heater? or gas pipe an addition? stupid.

paul

#14 ·
Scum bags for sure! We have many here in our area, they advertise in
the pennysaver, with no license, or they are using expired numbers in the 2's or the 5's, totally illegal. In a way, I think if a customer is going to use a service like that, I don't really want that customer.

I have been refusing customers because they drill me on my prices or by our phone conversation. There is no point in working for a customer that does not appreciate great service, backed by protection and quality.

I have also found out that some of the cheap guys are closing up shop here, through personal knowledge, and knowledge from other sources I have found this out. I know 2 of them had licenses, they just figured that being the cheapest and running 15 calls a day was going to cut it, and guess what, run 6 calls a day at a good rate, and stay in business.

Unlicensed people are all over and they will continue to be until the city and states crack down harder. In time I am sure it will work itself out.

Understand Business, Understand Plumbing, Have a License/ Insurance and stay in business!!

;)

#17 ·
im relativly new to my town and i did a job that was replacing every bit of plumbing in an existing home. dwv, water, w/h, hose bibs, the works. so naturally i got the permit for the job. i get a call from the electrician trying to chew my a#% because he didnt pull a permit, he said he dosent pull permits on jobs that small. other than about 4 circuits he rewired the whole house and wired for three new rooms in the basement. i want a permit on everything, keeps the hacks at bay and protects the homeowner. i told him if he didnt like it tough s%#t. this is how legitimate plumbing shops run, and how does the h/o feel about your unpermitted practices. turns out he got popped for a bunch of illegal wiring so good you friggin hack.

#18 ·
I totally agree that these hacks should be banned from being able to advertise without a license. A little more info on our laws here in California. Besides the insurance thing, you can perform plumbing work and advertise as long as you have a business license in the city you are working out of and the contract does not exceed $500.00 . I have went on at least a dozen service calls to do work after some hack screwed up the job and the homeowner usually tells you how the guy who came out last night from the pennysaver was given $50 and told to leave lol I have made myself some lifetime customers by doing the job right and the customers are always appreciative to have it done right and get professional service after using these idiots. It might benefit us all if we can trap these guys by having them do a small job without pulling a permit (Here in Ca, technically you have to pull a permit to change a p-trap but I have never had to, God forbid) or submitting a 10-99 to uncle sam might be a nice wake up call to scare them away, either that or have one of them pull up to an abandonded property where 10 of us plumbers waiting inside can lock the door behind them and let them know we are not happy having them stealing food from our familie's mouths and giving us pro's a bad rep :whistling2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.