Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
4th year apprentice
803 Posts
I've been in that situation too, and it is hard, because they were friends. Maybe some were scum when we first became friends and we didn't realize until later, maybe they have situations going on in their lives that we don't know about that contributed to their downfall, maybe their particular physiology leads to their bodies craving more of substances that we could use recreationally and then know when to say when. Maybe some or even much of it is due to character and fortitude. There are a hell of a lot of maybes that contribute to these things. For sure, some are lazy good for nothing deadbeats, but there are a lot of good people from good families that have problems too. There but for the grace of my dog go I. I've never been exposed to it more than since joining the trades. Would we want people to just make blanket statements about all tradesmen being addicts?
I recently found out that one friend I've had for about 12 years has a serious problem. Maybe I'm naive, and now in hindsight I see the signs that I just contributed to faults that we all have. Family man, home in the toney suburbs, successful business, great children who grew up to be successful. You just never know.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts