Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,942 Posts
She's making 6 figures? Something is real fishy, only way I can see that is if she's working on some pipeline or big industrial project with overtime and bonuses working 70+ hours a week. Subtract taxes and fees and shes making 45K in her pocket. Those big project s are usually a few months then no work for several more months and have to travel all over the country living in suitcases.

Work that many hours and the wife will take off with the kids and deplete your bank account and also your old age pension fund. I've seen 65-70 year old guys back on the job almost penniless because they legally took it all.

·
Registered
363 Posts
She's making 6 figures? Something is real fishy, only way I can see that is if she's working on some pipeline or big industrial project with overtime and bonuses working 70+ hours a week. Subtract taxes and fees and shes making 45K in her pocket. Those big project s are usually a few months then no work for several more months and have to travel all over the country living in suitcases.

Work that many hours and the wife will take off with the kids and deplete your bank account and also your old age pension fund. I've seen 65-70 year old guys back on the job almost penniless because they legally took it all.
Or maybe she lives in an area that pays well but also has a higher cost of living. I know a few welders who make close to and just over 6 figures and work 9-5 and maybe the occasional Saturday. Heck, I was making 6 figures plus benefits working 4 days a week at roto. After taxes we cleared much less of course.
Like others have told you, come on down to the states or move out of that overregulated area you live in. You'll have your Ferrari much sooner. I chose to have kids so no Ferrari for me.

·
canuckPlumBbob
874 Posts

Every tradesman i know is the average middle class wage.
Iv heard the skill trade adocates toss around large salary numbers elsewhere also. Thos jobs are far an few between.

·
Super Moderator
7,942 Posts
You'll have your Ferrari much sooner. I chose to have kids so no Ferrari for me.

Talking about cars, I saw for the first time an orange Maclaren 600LT across the stop light. It was nice, very nice. Too bad it was dark and I couldn't follow it. However I wouldn't want one for the reputation they have.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Or maybe she lives in an area that pays well but also has a higher cost of living.

Judging by the huge slightly curved panel I am going to guess ship builder?

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

she dont live in commy canada, 6 figures for a good welder in the USA is more than common...

·
Registered
Plumber, Pipe Fitter, General Gas Fitter, Oil burner Mechanic Plus more Certificates
301 Posts
she dont live in commy canada, 6 figures for a good welder in the USA is more than common...
In western Canada, it's not on common for good construction welders to make 180,000.00 to 240,000.00 a year on projects.

Some on pipeline some on refinery jobs.

Some supply their own rigs.

The fewer hours they work the less they make. But I haven't heard of one making less than 100,000.00 a year.

If they don't work under CLAC, "Christian Labour Association of Canada."

If your in CLAC most times your better off not working union.

:smile:

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In western Canada, it's not on common for good construction welders to make 180,000.00 to 240,000.00 a year on projects.

Some on pipeline some on refinery jobs.

Some supply their own rigs.

The fewer hours they work the less they make. But I haven't heard of one making less than 100,000.00 a year.

If they don't work under CLAC, "Christian Labour Association of Canada."

If your in CLAC most times your better off not working union.

:smile:
im not the one that stated welders in canada dont make good money..it was YOUR fellow counrtymen that did...I would imagine quality skilled workers make good money in any country...

·
Registered
Plumber, Pipe Fitter, General Gas Fitter, Oil burner Mechanic Plus more Certificates
301 Posts
im not the one that stated welders in canada dont make good money..it was YOUR fellow counrtymen that did...I would imagine quality skilled workers make good money in any country...
The message was meant for Tango.

Trades are trades they make good money if they are any good.

:biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
I posted on Mikes FB page that he should get word to the powers that be to that the trades need more apprentices. Increase vocational schools. Administer mechanical aptitude test in masses.

Did you miss the part where he runs a foundation devoted to getting kids into the trades? :vs_laugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts