Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been laid off recently and looking at all my options as far as a new career. I'm 38 and have been in the blue collar workforce since I was 17. needless to say I have alot of hard miles on the odometer. I like fixing things and working with my hands and outdoors. A desk job would make me crazy but my back isn't as strong as it used to be. I'd like some honest advice. is this a bad idea seeing as I'd be the doin all the grunt work as an apprentice? is it a job filled with work that would tear up your back? I just don't want to get into something that might turn out to be a mistake. I exercise and keep my abs strong but I'm trying to be smart about this. Thanks in advance.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Being a plumber or an assistant is not all that easy. Sometimes it is, but I can tell you fromexpeience that sometimes we have to crawl under snake infested house, sometimes some people here run into bees (Not mentioning any names :whistling2:) sometimes you get into spots and cant get out, sometimes I run into bare electrical wires, been shocked by galvanized pipes, and so on. But the rewards for me are high. I enjoy what I do and wont do anything else. Like some here, its in my blood. Like I was born to do it. Sometimes I feel as though I want to quit, but cant.

So be prepaired, sometimes its good, other times it will drive you nuts.

As far as is it a good choice? Well, thats up to you.

PS, cats dont like bees!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I have been laid off recently and looking at all my options as far as a new career. I'm 38 and have been in the blue collar workforce since I was 17. needless to say I have alot of hard miles on the odometer. I like fixing things and working with my hands and outdoors. A desk job would make me crazy but my back isn't as strong as it used to be. I'd like some honest advice. is this a bad idea seeing as I'd be the doin all the grunt work as an apprentice? is it a job filled with work that would tear up your back? I just don't want to get into something that might turn out to be a mistake. I exercise and keep my abs strong but I'm trying to be smart about this. Thanks in advance.

How come your now saying your thinking about becoming a plumber apprentice, when in your last post you said your in the apprentice program?

I'm Paul. I just started an apprentice program and was hoping for some honest advice on things like what to expect as a trainee. normal jobs givin to the trainee etc. etc. and pay in the Washington State area if anyone here is from here and just the basic ins and outs of the trade. I'm 38 and i'm having to start a new career due to a layoff in my prior field. Thank you
Being a starter plumber, you will dig, drill holes, set blocks, chase parts, hammer nail plates, strap, cut pipe, anything your journeyman ask for you to do, look for digging mud in trenches.

Paul your in the State of Washington, you know what the weather is like up there, plumbing does no stop in a downpour, you have to ask yourself, can you deal with it, if you can then the rewards are great, 4 years to becoming a full plumber. It pays good, but you have to move up the ladder just like the rest of us had to.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Golly gee Bill, I guess now that you mention it, plumbing kinda sucks... I quit.:laughing:
You can't quit, your fired. :laughing:

Bill must be buzzing or something. :laughing:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well I've applied and have taken the hands on test and have done well on all. now I wait to get my interview. So I guess im sort of in just not working yet. I just want to be 100% sure this is right for me. I've done basic plumbing with my father in law who is a general contractor and have always enjoyed the work. but it is different than the apprentice program I know.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
I wouldn't hire an old apprentice when there's young bucks to burn out....I mean hire. Try something easy like electrician or cable t.v. installer.

If I ever changed careers :)laughing:), I'd be a hit man.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Being in the program you will not work alone, your we be supervised through your 3rd period apprentice year, when you get to 4th period you will get work alone status. Some times it can be hard work but it is not hard work everyday, ground work is the most challenging part you will partake in. Give it a try for 6 months, see what you think, and if you have no issues at that time, keep going.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats exactly what I mean Plumber if I run into that kind of thing all the time I'd like to know now before I invest alot of my time and money into training only to be beat out by 20 somethings all the time due to my age.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Bill must be buzzing or something. :laughing:
Ya think? I mean, the monkey is wearing pink....

Thats exactly what I mean Plumber if I run into that kind of thing all the time I'd like to know now before I invest alot of my time and money into training only to be beat out by 20 somethings all the time due to my age.
You will, too, and its not age discrimination. Apprenticeship is the hardest thing most people ever do in civilian life.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Ron. I'm not the desk type or the medical staff type I'd fix cars if it paid more so plumbing is where im headed.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Thanks Ron. I'm not the desk type or the medical staff type I'd fix cars if it paid more so plumbing is where im headed.

:thumbsup: We all wish you the best in your new career.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
If you go to UA school (which I strongly recommend) don't stand back and watch. Be the first to jump in to help EVERY time. Jobs are short now. Set yourself apart from the other sheep.

Get every cert you can. Memorize your code book. Pretty close on plumb or grade is NOT good enough. Owners and foremen want dead ass balls on perfect. Never ever say "It's good enough for the girls I go with" or any other lame excuse for crappy workmanship.

That is all.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
hows the first year? is it mostly class or work or some of both?

Here it is two night a week in class and you work for who ever sponsors you for hire. Full time work.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Here it is two night a week in class and you work for who ever sponsors you for hire. Full time work.
Here anyone can go out with a wrench and call themselves a plumber so long as the boss has a license. Their is no such thing as a journeyman. To get your license you need to prove six years of employment, have two licensed plumbers sign off that they believe you know what you're doing, pick a test and pass it. If you want to work in the entire county you have to take and pass I believe 19 tests and hold 19 licenses.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
I may not be a hit man, after all. I think a pimp has it easier, so I'll be a pimp when I quit plumbing.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts