Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Dane inspired me to make this thread. All of these are 3/4" MPT.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Flex drain pipe is for hacks.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This one is 1/2”

I bought a squirrel a couple years ago! Got almost all of the paint off. Can't find the pic of it installed right now.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you see one of these old guys it's not hard to understand why they bothered to make MOEN cartridge rebuild kits. Now a days it seems kind of ridiculous, the idea of rebuilding a 15$ cartridge.

Says some patents still pending, my guess is pre-1970. I took it out about 6 months thinking it was a cross connection, it wasn't, and it was still working perfectly fine. I feel kind of guilty taking it out of service but I also know any other guy would have chucked this museum piece. Working for 50+ years ain't too bad... :)

·
Super Moderator
8,839 Posts
When you see one of these old guys it's not hard to understand why they bothered to make MOEN cartridge rebuild kits. Now a days it seems kind of ridiculous, the idea of rebuilding a 15$ cartridge.

Says some patents still pending, my guess is pre-1970. I took it out about 6 months thinking it was a cross connection, it wasn't, and it was still working perfectly fine. I feel kind of guilty taking it out of service but I also know any other guy would have chucked this museum piece. Working for 50+ years ain't too bad... :)

View attachment 127173 View attachment 127174 View attachment 127175
I’ve seen plenty of old brass Moen cartridges, never a stainless one!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve seen plenty of old brass Moen cartridges, never a stainless one!
It's chrome plated brass.

Lots of stems and cartridges used to be chrome plated but it's really a poor choice. The chrome plating flakes off and tears up the o-rings.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haven’t seen that either! Thanks for the correction!
In my area the plastic 1200 is usually the best option because of the lime build up. Moens do pretty well around here, even with the high lime.

·
Super Moderator
8,839 Posts
"The chrome plating flakes off and tears up the o-rings"
Absolutely correct speaking as a user or owner
...as a mfr. who designs in obsolescence, it's ideal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts