Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thermostat dial setting for electric stats are as follows, FYI if you have the need to know.

Hot .............Approx 120
A ................Approx 130
B ................Approx 140
C ................Approx 150
Very Hot ..... Approx 160

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure,

These are for the Bradford White Heaters replacement stats.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
I always tell the customer that as a licensed plumber, I absolutely cannot set the temperature above 120 degrees.

They want it hotter, you'll have to perform that task because I by code cannot.

You can get yourself sued as well. There is a huge difference between 120 and 130 in the time that water can damage human skin.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what we tell them also, the stats we get from our supply house are factory set lower then the hot setting or 120, I also find new water heaters set below that temp.

·
Master Plumber
65 Posts
Our code requires hot water at the kitchen sink to be between 130 and 140 F. We must then temper water at all tubs and showers to no higher than 120 F. This is for residential work. One reason is the potential for legionnaires disease.

Water conditions that tend to promote the growth of Legionella include:

• stagnation;
  • temperatures between 20° and 50°C (68° - 122°F) (The optimal growth range is 35° - 46°C [95° - 115°F]);
  • pH between 5.0 and 8.5;
  • sediment that tends to promote growth of commensal microflora; and
  • micro-organisms including algae, flavobacteria, and Pseudomonas, which supply essential nutrients for growth of Legionella or harbor the organism (amoebae, protozoa).
Read more here: http://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/otm_iii/otm_iii_7.html

·
Registered
344 Posts
Carry a permanent marker and put a tick mark on the dial and the aluminum or plastic of the control body. This is your witness mark as to where you set the heater. If it has been moved, then your marks will not be lined up.

Also, you can sign the top of the heater with the install date like a Rock Star.

I paid $490.00 on Ebay for one of RockstarPlumbers old heaters. I'm gonna be rich some day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts