Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Thank you for putting a cleanout above one of the cross tees. Why didn't you put a cleanout above the other?

I snake drains, I also cuss out lazy a holes who can't be bothered to put cleanouts above cross tees. Yesterday I had to bend the end of a 1/4" snake to unclog back to back lav sinks on a cross tee. They each 90'd to the left into the tee. I had to run my camera in one drain so I could watch myself manipulate the snake I ran into the other drain. If I didn't have the camera lord only knows how long I would have been trying to get my snake to go down the cross tee.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Looks like metal studs to me…. :LOL:
View attachment 132722
Well clearly I thought you were responding to the most recent post.

What's the problem with metal studs? Just get self tappers or pop rivets. When I did duct work metal studs were nice, only had to carry a couple types of screws.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Just giving you shnit I’ve sliced a finger or two. We used hole saws, not knockouts. Pex with mickey’s.

watch the preview.
I get lazy, pilot hole with a screw, then my red snips. I prefer milfords, they don't get brittle and crack.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
The short answer is that ferncos have no place in new construction. The money you save using a fernco over a husky band or no-hub is lost because you need to support both sides of a fernco so it doesn't sag, this almost always means at least one hanger.

Even in a vertical situation, where you're almost always using a fernco to transition from plastic to cast iron, ferncos aren't ideal because over time they squeeze out thinner and won't be making a good seal when rust accumulates. Almost every fernco I've taken off cast iron had rust flakes stuck in the joint.

Don't get me wrong, I use ferncos alot for drain cleaning, almost as often as I use a no-hub, but they're always supported by at least some loops of hanging strap. Hanging strap is a bit wanky for a brand new building. For the 100yr old houses I work in, a fernco and strap is usually going to outlast the rest of the plumbing and often the homeowner.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I always like to throw a liberal amount of pro dope on the inside of every fernco fitting I have to install....
I also like to grease up the pipe real good too.... They DO get loose over time and I have had to tighten down a few

I know the pipe dope will lube up , fill the gaps and seal everything extra well,
and it will most likely last for the rest of my lifetime anyway....
When we want a fernco to be more permanent we will prime the pipe and give it ~30 seconds to dry, then put the fernco on. It bonds just enough. When you need to remove it, make a slice longways using a razor, it will peel right off leaving almost nothing behind.

Doesn't work with no-hubs because they are made from Neoprene.

Reactions: dhal22 and DDDave

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Starting the underground tomorrow. I promise no ferncos guys 😎. Will snap some pics if not getting the whip cracked on me too hard.
The past six months I've found almost a half dozen "Offset Ferncos" causing clogs hahaha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts