Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I Like Tater Tots
Plumber since 1979. 42 years and still rollin'
1,228 Posts
Nice looking work but I absolutely hate ferncos!!! I always use mission couplings with the solid stainless jacket (not no hub bands). I’ve seen too many in my life that have sagged.

·
I Like Tater Tots
1,228 Posts
The walls should never take the load of a properly mounted carrier fixture. The carrier is bolted to the floor and the 3/4 rods should have nuts and washers between the wall and the fixture carrying the load.

·
I Like Tater Tots
1,228 Posts
When we want a fernco to be more permanent we will prime the pipe and give it ~30 seconds to dry, then put the fernco on. It bonds just enough. When you need to remove it, make a slice longways using a razor, it will peel right off leaving almost nothing behind.

Doesn't work with no-hubs because they are made from Neoprene.
Back in the 80’s I fabbed up some no hub carrier hospital groups at the shop. Both soil and water piping and then transported them to the job. We used a no hub sealant made by Gaco. It really solidified the joints for transport. That and some strategically placed unistrut temporary braces. They were about 20’ long made in two sections. I see there is a similar product out there from Black Swan.

Reactions: skoronesa
1 - 3 of 3 Posts