Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It takes knowledge, understanding, and wisdom to be a good plumber.

Knowledge is knowing the code, and how to do the technical aspects of plumbing. Many GCs, remodelers, handymen, sparkies, and DIYers have a bit of this. They think they have all it takes. They do. All it takes to create a nightmare at best, and kill people at worst.

Understanding is knowing why you do things a certain way. Why the code requires something. Beware the man who is at this level without going to the third level. He is the one running his mouth on discussion forums and at parties how even a sparky can do plumbing.

Wisdom is knowing how and when to use your knowledge and understanding. And that my friends, is why it takes any number of years before you are qualified to be a plumber. That is what makes you and I a professional. That is the special "juice" we have that sets us apart from the rest of the crowd. That is why we know how to protect the health of the nation.

·
Banned
913 Posts
I wish there were more professional plumbers like you. Unfortunately too many in catergory 1 & 2 think they are actually plumbers.

Thank you for articulating what it really means to be a PRO!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
"Wisdom is knowing how and when to use your knowledge and understanding. And that my friends, is why it takes any number of years before you are qualified to be a plumber. That is what makes you and I a professional. That is the special "juice" we have that sets us apart from the rest of the crowd. That is why we know how to protect the health of the nation."

I agree with you. One thing I might add is that for us to maintain our high standard we must constantly sharpen the saw. By that I mean we have to stay current with trends in our industry. When the new, new thing rolls off the line it's our job to learn about it and decide if it's worthy of our support. As Lee Iacocca said about change, "Get on, get out of the way, or get run over."

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Great post---makes me want to raise my rates. :)

Hiring a plumber is a luxury. The plumber should always be aware of that simple fact and act accordingly....the customer already knows it.

Act like the Rolls Royce, not the Ford, of plumbers.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Well Said !!! Thank you !

Cal

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
22, That was truly awesome:thumbsup:

In Christ,

Song Dog

ps- this ought to be a sticky for all to see.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey y'all... I am truly humbled. This was something that I banged out and hit submit on before I edited it. It's pretty rough. But I believe the concept and I take your kind words to be about the concept. Thank you.

Here's the deal. It's yours. Take it, refine it, believe it, be it. And then communicate that to your customers.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'd like to add: "attitude."

One of the worst things I can hear is, "just get by."

Sure, we all get into places where things are just too far gone and put a patch on something. But when push comes to shove, we should be the guys who say that it has to be done right, and it has to be done well. It's a matter of personal pride. When I see a drain cleaner marking up a brand new Sloan flush valve with a pair of Channellocks, I cringe. When I see a backhoe operator putting in PVC underground with ABS glue, I just walk away. I'm not like that. Being a plumber and having the training means that we have the knowledge to do it correctly, and that we know the difference between the right way and the highway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts