Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen Rehau brought up here a few times. Some folks trying to use the company as an example of pex failures. That notion is just not true. Rehau will still be making and selling PEX but have redirected their efforts towards the pexA radiant heating sector and other heating sectors and still using PEX. They have also decided to quit the PVC sewer and drain business also, funny how that never comes up? hmm
There is such a large market out there, so many companies selling "their" pex. We all know the biggest sellers are Wirsbo and Viega. Like any other newer product, only the strong will survive. It has NOTHING to do with pex failures.
http://www.pmmag.com/Articles/Breaking_News/BNP_GUID_9-5-2006_A_10000000000000457694

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
We use Rehau pex pipe exclusively here for all pex installations.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rehau to me was the best pex system, the fittings were more expensive, but proved to be a better seal.

now, wirsbo has something like this system. the brass cplg system.
I heard Wirsbo was coming out with something new but haven't heard what. You already know I like the Viega system, the SS sleeves in the Viega Pureflow system is similar.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
I heard Wirsbo was coming out with something new but haven't heard what. You already know I like the Viega system, the SS sleeves in the Viega Pureflow system is similar.

I am in love with anything Viega, so I will check them out!

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I'm pex ignorant. Educate me. Is there a standard for sizing of pex tubing like other pipe or tubing.

I guess my actual question is: Are all the manufacturer's tubing and fittings interchangable.

I have only used this stuff on radiant tube slab heat. It had compression fittings at the manifolds.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I'm pex ignorant. Educate me. Is there a standard for sizing of pex tubing like other pipe or tubing.

I guess my actual question is: Are all the manufacturer's tubing and fittings interchangable.

I have only used this stuff on radiant tube slab heat. It had compression fittings at the manifolds.

Pex is sized the same way copper gets sized, flow charts are in the code book.

Reactions: ILPlumber

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure about other brands but Viega does have a flow and size chart on their website. Interchanging fittings is not a good idea. Wirsbo makes fittings for their pipe as does Viega for theirs. I wouldn't want to do anything to jeapordize the 25 year warranty of each, I only use Viega fittings in Viega pipe. Though I do see thousands of fittings that look close on eBay, I wouldn't use them.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
There is not allot of talk about pex in our code book, but the charts are found under Chapter 6 Water Supply and Distribution

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In the Minnesota Code book it says this:

L.

Cross-linked polyethylene (PEX) tubing 6M with fittings 6N or 6O shall be certified by an independent third-party certifier. The water distribution system shall be installed by a factory-trained installer in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions. Tubing and fittings must be marked with the appropriate ASTM designations by the manufacturer.

Not much more about it. I do like it that Minnesota requires the installer to be certified by the company. Not many homeowners I know of are certified and I let all my customers know it's required. Viega and Wirsbo both offer certification.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Is there a maximum FPS for the metallic fittings?

How do you pipe a battery of 1" flushometers?

How big does pex go?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Pex is up to 2"

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I have only done up to 1-1/2", any size above 1" your using wirsbo fitting.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is there a maximum FPS for the metallic fittings?

How do you pipe a battery of 1" flushometers?

How big does pex go?
I'm using bronze fittings, I believe they're worked out the same as the pipe. That's the way I've done it anyway, maybe it's wrong but it works. Max for what I'm using is about 12 FPS, 8 is required by code. I figure the psi x 2.307 = loss.
The battery of 1" flushometers would be plumbed the same way as you would use copper, depends on the amount. Viega makes pex up to 1", maybe larger but I sure don't use it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts