Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post your encounters with idiot inspectors here.

Site specifics: 3 and 1/2 bathroom, 2 story house. 3 hose bibs. Laundry tub.

My words in blue. His words in red.

I just got off the phone with one looking at a repipe we just did. He asks: Not that it's against code or anything but, why did you run the hot trunk line in 3/4" and not 1/2"?

Trying to be non-confrontational and smooth things over:
Well, the homeowner had some concerns over low water pressure so we figured we would go the extra mile and run the cold trunk in 1" and the hot trunk in 3/4".

You need to go back to plumbing school! The smaller the pipe is the greater the pressure is going to be. That 3/4" hot truck line is going to cause the water heater to run out of hot water faster.

Me: :blink:..................................

You should have run the whole hot system in 1/2".

Hmm, I always understood that flow-pressure drops as water velocity goes up. To keep pipe friction losses down you increase the pipe size until your anticipated flow puts your velocity at between 3-6 gpm. Sorta like how it's laid out in the darcy-wiebach and hazen-williams equations.

<mumble mumble muble> Well, I'm goin to go ahead and pass it.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
When I rough in sinks (lavs, ks, laundry tubs or whatever) I have always used a 2X1.5X1.5 san tee with a 2" cleanout. It might be a little overkill but I am thinking of the repair plumber who may need to snake the drain some day. I had an inspector in Aqua Dulce turn down my rough because he said the waste lines should be 1.50.

I hate combined inspectors but a quick call to the head plumbing inspector in Palmdale had the guy back in his truck and driving the 30-miles back to Aqua Dulce to sign my card. For the rest of the job he signed the card from the curb.

Mark

·
CEO Speedwagon.
1,657 Posts
When I lived in St. Louis, we also held Illinois licenses that covered a big part of the bi- state area. Some municipalities wanted purple primer for pvc/ dwv, some demanded clear. So I was working in a municipality I wasn't sure on, so I called the inspector and asked and he said, " you don't need to use any primer". I'm guessing he missed the day that coverd fundementals of the solvent weld at inspector school.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
When I rough in sinks (lavs, ks, laundry tubs or whatever) I have always used a 2X1.5X1.5 san tee with a 2" cleanout. It might be a little overkill but I am thinking of the repair plumber who may need to snake the drain some day. I had an inspector in Aqua Dulce turn down my rough because he said the waste lines should be 1.50.

I hate combined inspectors but a quick call to the head plumbing inspector in Palmdale had the guy back in his truck and driving the 30-miles back to Aqua Dulce to sign my card. For the rest of the job he signed the card from the curb.

Mark
we do the same.

One inspector failed us for not putting an IC(micky mouse) clip on the edge of of stud to protect the pipe. This happened multiple times. Christ guy, leave us a note with the green card and we will take care of it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
a long time ago i did some condos in boca grande florida, the inspector had a tiny pocket level that he put on the lav waste arms, he said, " you need more fall on them waste arms", i pulled out my brand new craftsman torpedo level and showed him they had fall, but he insisted on using his 50 cent tool over mine and made me raise them while he watched :cry:

i had an inspector go around and measure how far back in the walls a few water lines where, if they were closer than 1 1/2" to the edge, he wanted a stud guard, i told him they are using 1" drywall screws, but he said, " well they might use 2" screws", i told him i have never seen drywall hung like that, and the builder jumps in and said, ya 1" screws is what they are going to use.

in the city of Dunedin Florida, they have a special inspector for the sewer lines, after they make you pull the test ball to drain the water, they make you put a croquet ball in the cleanout by the house and make sure it rolls to the cleanout by the curb, holy moly that is dumb LOL

i'm sure houseplumber has some good ones as well

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
Back when a 3" stack was required here I did an addition on an existing house. All drains were installed on one septic system. Slab rough passed with no problems. Tubset was different. Same inspector that did slab inspection asked me where the 3" stack on the new work was. I walked him around to the back half of the house and pointed out to him the 3" stack sticking out the roof on the other bathroom. He began to tell me that the new bath also had to have one so I went to my truck and showed him in the code book where it said each septic or sewer connected to a building shall have at least 1, 3" stack ( or however it was worded).
He walked off quickly changing the subject to the weather. He was so shamed. :laughing:

·
AKA house plumber
3,560 Posts
I did a big addition at a high school and for the shut off's for the bathrooms I used ball valves and placed them handle down in the hallway. So it's easier for whoever to shut them down if needed. The school inspector said "I cant have the valves upside down". I asked "why". He said "sediment will settle where the gate closes and the valve won't close all the way". I said "they are ball valves". He sat there for a few seconds and said "oh yeah". I said "and you're an inspector?" and he just walked away.

·
AKA house plumber
3,560 Posts
over on this side Protech we can only catch one fixture on 1/2". Hot or cold. And cold pipe size all depends how many water closets there are. I'm not disagreeing with you, just surprised your inspector said you should have use 1/2 for all hot.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have an inspector here that makes me grade the top of my floor drains. I argue with him on every gr but he is the inspector:furious:
Same inspector called me once and said I had reverse fall on a gr I had done. Story is this. i did 2 gr side by side one went out back to stub and one went out front. he inspected the one out the front first. next day he looked at second gr. Called me and said "This gr had to all be changed" I went over and looked at it. it was all fine. i called him and asked what up. he was in neighborhood and stopped by. he walks up with his pocket level and says it all has back pitch. i said MR INSPECTOR it is draining out back of house see all the fitting directions (while holding his hand like a child). he signed off and never called me on anything again:whistling2:

·
Registered
592 Posts

Mark
1/2 The time its used as a wet vent up here anyways, would have to be 2".

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just finished a Taco Time new start up. Inspector called the office and tells my wife he passed everything but the public w.c's as I hadn't installed installed seats with lids. :blink: He told myt wife I should have known this as it was first year stuff. I never heard of this before so I looked up code and it only requires open front SEAT. No mention of lid. Copied this on the permit notice and faxed to his boss. Havn't heard back from him. Hmmmm.:whistling2:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Inspector was called to do underslab drainage inspection, we had over 300' of pipe in the ground and he went around and checked grade with a 12" level. He was getting more and more mad, finally he came over to the foreman and said..

"Its all wrong, you only have 1/8" grade and minimum grade is 1%."

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
Was doing a slab in a sub-division.Looked up and saw plumbing inspector pull up to job across the street. He got out of the car and went up to permit and signed it, then to next house and did the same thing. Never did he go inside and look. Were not my jobs. Think he forgot to sign the cards from a previous trip? :eek:

·
poo fighter
16 Posts
I hate multi-inspectors they must get a 2 hour course on plumbing code. I like retired plumbers that are inspectors. They know what is important and what is not.In this ares St. Louis County inspectors are the best at what they know.The small municipalities that have their own inspectors are a joke.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had an inspector years ago when I was doing 24 detached houses, called him up and asked him to stop by and give me a heads up about what he wanted, we were working on a new code that had been adopted recently.

He pulled up and walked over to me and we shot the shxt for a while and he said he didn't know anything about the new code and if I said it was o.k. it was fine with him.

He handed me 24 inspection stickers and said to stick them on the window when I was done! :blink:

·
Registered
15 Posts
training?

Had an inspector come out to a tankless install. He said he couldn't pass us because of a new city code that required gas water heaters to be greater that 82% efficient. I took out the manual and showed him that the Rinnai condensing unit was 95% efficient. I showed him on the side of the tankless where it was marked also. I even showed him the yellow energy rating sticker with consumption. He then said "Well it has a bigger gas line so it must use more gas." So I explained to him how a tankless works. He still wouldn't pass it. I had to go down to the city building office and go over the manuals with the supervising inspector. Maybe some of those tax and permit dollars should go towards training these guys so they actually know what they are inspecting.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts