Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it people will pay over $1000 to have an electric tankless water heater installed that will save them 3% to -10% on their water heating costs but you can't get them to spend $2500 on a solar heater that will save them 95% on heating costs?

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
In my experience, you need to know more about the finance end, than the plumbing. Most of those solar guys are of the used car sales variety...

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please explain how it's complicated?

For the typical homeowner solar is a bit to complicated, and its a maintenance issue in the colder climates.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just getting frustrated trying to sell something that sells itself and yet all people want is tankless water heaters.

And I do know what you mean about the former car salesmen turned solar pushers. In fact, we probably know the same people. I get allot of guys that bid against me out of Tampa.

In my experience, you need to know more about the finance end, than the plumbing. Most of those solar guys are of the used car sales variety...

·
Registered
415 Posts
For women!

The tankless water heater has more appeal because women can rinse their hair for more than an hour.

Last I heard a good solar water heater system is near $10,000 with piping, etc.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Around here they can be had for as low as $3500 installed and operate at a 95% solar fraction. This is Florida though, the sunshine state.

The tankless water heater has more appeal because women can rinse their hair for more than an hour.

Last I heard a good solar water heater system is near $10,000 with piping, etc.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Up here in the great white north the solor and the tankless are just about useless. Very little sun during the winter and water that is almost frozen coming out of the tap. Can you say Glitches?

·
Registered
88 Posts
i think solar is a con. im starting to see manufacturers refuse warranty because the roof is too hard to access or dangerous and if they do watch your labour cost go skywards.
i also think that the panels wont last the distance, how is it cost saving?
i have a storage hwu buy would seriously consider a heat pump system that works off the outside air temps with a circulating pump.
i dont think our govt is fair dinkum about climate change and saving energy.

cheers brad

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have yet to see a panel go bad in under 10 years even in our corrosive water. I've pulled many that were installed in 1970 and the only reason they broke was from freeze damage due to a faulty freeze valve. When you consider that they pay for themselves in about 5 years, 10 to 40 years is a pretty acceptable life span don't you think?

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
Solar is no scam!!! I once removed and reinstalled one so a HO could have a new roof put on. Upon reinstallation there was STEAMMMMM!!! Boiling out of this baby as it sat on the roof while I piped to it.
Plus yesterday I put in a new mixing valve on a 30 yr. old system. That HO only complaint was that occasionally it would pop the thermal overload on the tstat.

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
I have yet to see a panel go bad in under 10 years even in our corrosive water. I've pulled many that were installed in 1970 and the only reason they broke was from freeze damage due to a faulty freeze valve. When you consider that they pay for themselves in about 5 years, 10 to 40 years is a pretty acceptable life span don't you think?
I'm with you 100%.
Only thing that scares me some times is the "new" technology coming out. In some cases I think this just meens they found a way to make it cheaper, and I really would hate to put a 4-7.5k system in someones home and have any problems with it. Alot of these solar comp. are like the elec. tankless guys that build the units in there garages. Who knows how long they'll be around for. We stick to the big boys, not always the cheapest, but hopefully they'll be around for a while.

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
Solar is no scam!!! yesterday I put in a new mixing valve on a 30 yr. old system. That HO's only complaint was that occasionally it would pop the thermal overload on the tstat.
Is there any thing I can do to stop this? Cut out= 190. New thermostat. :confused1: I'm stumped.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Is there any thing I can do to stop this? Cut out= 190. New thermostat. :confused1: I'm stumped.
I know zip about solar. Could you put an actuated 3-way valve before the solar panel to prevent the water from going through it if the temp got too high.

It would just loop to the outlet preventing the water from going through the panel.

I guess that brings up. What would you then do with the super hot water in the panel?

·
Registered
88 Posts
* panels leaking
* glass panel shattering

depending on roof ive had some fixed by the manufacturer, others with supplied parts with the customer chasing some one to do the work i seriously believe the warranty is interpreted to suit. like i said it could be bad luck or even bad customer and after sales service

1 - 20 of 47 Posts