Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, The headline was just to get you in here faster :)

BUT - We all are REALLY good on certain types of plumbing, For example, I used to fly through nailing and installing forced hot water slant fin baseboard.

I also liked roughing copper and was really fast at it , to bad the copper days are gone :-(

So basically, I am asking:

"What do you excel at?"

I am curious............

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
i'm slow at new construction when i get the chance to do a remodel. i used to be fast when it's what i did and now when i do it i just get bummed out thinking "i'd be done by now if i still had my chops". now 95% of what i do is service. i'm real fast at changing a moen positemp shower cartridge. i can usually get them done in less than an hour. :rolleyes:

paul

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm slow at new construction when i get the chance to do a remodel. i used to be fast when it's what i did and now when i do it i just get bummed out thinking "i'd be done by now if i still had my chops". now 95% of what i do is service. i'm real fast at changing a moen positemp shower cartridge. i can usually get them done in less than an hour. :rolleyes:

paul
Paul.

I used to be fast at these things , Not no more, so yea, I am just burnt from all the years of the GO GO GOGOGOG GO!!!!

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Drains under slab. Have all my numbers ready when I get to the site. Paint some lines , dig, set strings, and rock-n-roll.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Never fast with anything I do. As a matter of fact, my end result is what means more. The thread "My Work" I told the HO I never done a body spray setup, and I was concerned because of all the stone going in I did not want any leaks, banging pipes, or cross connections. So HO said take all the time I need. When I got done, she was tickled pink! The bathroom never had any pressure at all before. Now you dont even need soap! The force of the body sprays will blast the dirt from you! And yes, there is no noticable pressure drop when the shower runs, I flushed the toiulet and turned the tub on! She was amazed! Could not stop thanking me. That means a lot.

Then there was the fiberon deck we built. I know, its not plumbing related, but it took us twice as long to install it then it should had as it was our first. The supplier was nervouse because he had just started selling this stuff. When we finished the deck and the pergalo he came and took a look. He went back and called the manufacturer. They sent a rep out who took pix and said it was so perfect that they were going to use our deck in their catalog.

Long to short, take your time, its cheaper to do it right the first time around!

·
Registered
71 Posts
People get too worked up on time! Plumbers come up to me and ask "how long does it take you to do _______, because I can do it in ______". I just say "I see you've never heard the story about The Tortoise and the Hare" once they sink this in I say that I only do a job once. One journeyman plumber I was talking to in a group of about a dozen of professionals from other trades was gloating about how he could "do the job, screw up, rip it out and do it again before I did it the first time". I said congrats. nobody said anything and those tradesman still laugh about that guy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts