Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

philosopher and statesmen
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are frigging busy and their is no let up in sight...
I guess that its not a bad problem to have ....but I would
like to throw off some of this overburden off to others ....

I have a whole bunch of calls I simply dont have the time
to get to , or I know that are going to be trouble and I dont
want to get tied up all day with them., .especially when I am busy..
.. I have been passing off some of these calls to another company but they are having issues with
their num-nut employees on several occasions and cannot get to the jobs neither...

Then today I go and call a couple of guys I know that have been around a good while
to ask them if they want my overflow work (for FREE) and I come to find out that one
has retired and closed down his business and the other has gone to work
for the union and closed down his service business too!! I talked with the union guy
and I know I make more than he does a day probably 4x more, but I guess its not about
the money after a while, he said he just wants his 5 days on and thats all.. ok whatever...

I guess eventually their will only be the big companies left in town to call... or people
un-reliable and not trustworthy to deal with........ So with no one
wanting to go into this trade I am wondering what kind of mess things are going
to become once all the baby boomers who own plumbing companies are all gone....???

Now tonight I just see a call on my phone from someone having sump pump issues
and they want me to come out tonight,,,,,,:oops::oops:馃槖

I am bumping up my prices just because I can.....

Registered
Tell your customers to ship their plumbing my way and I'll take care of them. I'm too slow. For around here I am not too worried yet but it has been a while since I have seen a new guy that looked like he would turn in to a good quality long time plumber.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tell your customers to ship their plumbing my way and I'll take care of them. I'm too slow. For around here I am not too worried yet but it has been a while since I have seen a new guy that looked like he would turn in to a good quality long time plumber.

I am a product of my own creation ..... I guess the google reviews and the internet marketing over the past 15 years has
really set our place apart and their are so many people terrified to call Ben F or other large places...

soon, with all these covid bailouts , eventually no one is gonna want to come in to an real on site job....

Super Moderator
Here we have 4-6 new plumbing companies each year, if they are one man show or bigger I don't know. Even though the reviews are probably the highest in the entire province I'm starting to get people who said they chose me because of the reviews but they think I'll be cheaper than everyone else. To some people good reviews equals all you can eat 1$ hot dogs. I get more cancellations than before and I've been witness that many of these cancellations go to literal hacks.

Even 2 today they flat out tols me they were hiring hacks! A woman had just re-tiled and wanted me to install the toilet. I asked for pics and the flange was 1/2" below floor, after discussing what needed to be done she texted me back saying indirectly she was hiring a hack(probably the tile guy). Good for her her floor is going to rot within 6 months.

Today 4 people told me they called a lot of places and no one answered but still they didn't want to pay, a new canadian woman was one of them and she refused the amount so I blocked her, 1 hour later I had a voice message asking for service thinking I'm somebody else.

Here's the best story for last. Got a call after 5PM and the guy didn't want to wait for the day rate and was ready to pay the evening rate. I rushed to get there because we have the 8PM curfew, I asked him if he called a lot of places and yes he did and no one answered. I replaced the frost bib in record time and he kept saying 3x times it'll be less than hour, less than an hour. I gave him the bill for 1.1/4hr and he complained it wasn't an hour. Give me a break you moron. Got home with 15 minutes before curfew and I saw 5 cop cars patrolling like piranhas. I'm starting to hate people.

Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Same, I can鈥檛 work, cuz every time I pick up a tool or light my torch, the phone rings..
quotes or work requested..
I鈥檝e got a stack of work orders for clients in the 鈥渨henever you can fit me in pile鈥..
That鈥檚 not including the price-choppers(shoppers) and work I just don鈥檛 want to do...

Registered
We get some kids out of trade school who look at me like I am expecting them to perform advanced algebra when I hold up a widespread valve body and explain all the parts to them. Then I will open a box of assorted faucet washers and they just look dumb founded.

I blame their parents. When I was about 9 my father stopped fixing my bike for me, it was either fix my own bike or walk. By the time I was 12 I had saved up 100$ for a good bmx frame and built my own from parts. Now we have a throw away society and everybody acts like it's rocket surgery when something breaks. God forbid they have to hang something on a wall without using sticky pads.

Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same, I can鈥檛 work, cuz every time I pick up a tool or light my torch, the phone rings..
quotes or work requested..
I鈥檝e got a stack of work orders for clients in the 鈥渨henever you can fit me in pile鈥..
That鈥檚 not including the price-choppers(shoppers) and work I just don鈥檛 want to do...

I am passing all my "mystery leaks in the ceiling" to others to fool with....
Also, All the---- " I have been smelling crap odors rising from the crawl space for the last 5 months" ---
can you come out and give me a free estimate??? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I actually lose money
trying to appease them when I could be installing a water softener or other high profit items

We get some kids out of trade school who look at me like I am expecting them to perform advanced algebra when I hold up a widespread valve body and explain all the parts to them. Then I will open a box of assorted faucet washers and they just look dumb founded.

I blame their parents. When I was about 9 my father stopped fixing my bike for me, it was either fix my own bike or walk. By the time I was 12 I had saved up 100$ for a good bmx frame and built my own from parts. Now we have a throw away society and everybody acts like it's rocket surgery when something breaks. God forbid they have to hang something on a wall without using sticky pads.
I totally agree..

my father died in the early 80鈥檚. My grandfather in the mid 80鈥檚- I was left a lot of tools.. From there I was raised by strong women, I can cook, clean, sew, garden, and manage money, but as a kid, when my bike broke I had to figure out how to fix it.
Then I became the small man of the houses, slowly I learned to paint, hang blinds, fix faucets, change light switches, plugs, yard work, and keep on going..

Registered
Here we have 4-6 new plumbing companies each year, if they are one man show or bigger I don't know. Even though the reviews are probably the highest in the entire province I'm starting to get people who said they chose me because of the reviews but they think I'll be cheaper than everyone else. To some people good reviews equals all you can eat 1$ hot dogs. I get more cancellations than before and I've been witness that many of these cancellations go to literal hacks.

Even 2 today they flat out tols me they were hiring hacks! A woman had just re-tiled and wanted me to install the toilet. I asked for pics and the flange was 1/2" below floor, after discussing what needed to be done she texted me back saying indirectly she was hiring a hack(probably the tile guy). Good for her her floor is going to rot within 6 months.

Today 4 people told me they called a lot of places and no one answered but still they didn't want to pay, a new canadian woman was one of them and she refused the amount so I blocked her, 1 hour later I had a voice message asking for service thinking I'm somebody else.

Here's the best story for last. Got a call after 5PM and the guy didn't want to wait for the day rate and was ready to pay the evening rate. I rushed to get there because we have the 8PM curfew, I asked him if he called a lot of places and yes he did and no one answered. I replaced the frost bib in record time and he kept saying 3x times it'll be less than hour, less than an hour. I gave him the bill for 1.1/4hr and he complained it wasn't an hour. Give me a break you moron. Got home with 15 minutes before curfew and I saw 5 cop cars patrolling like piranhas. I'm starting to hate people.
Plumber isn't an essential worker in Quebec? The curfew applies to you?

Super Moderator
Yep plumbing is essential except the police can make up their own rules on the fly. They can give you a fine however they choose. The government said It's up to the person who's being stopped to prove right then and there they are allowed to circulate. Unless you have a lawyer riding shotgun in your car good luck. I had a customer a few weeks ago who works for the government at night well the police refused to recognize his official government paperwork stating he was allowed to go to work. I think he spent an hour on the side of the road trying to prove he could circulate and every other night after that.

I'm not risking meeting the Gestapo. Did I ever tell you the time the police tried to illegally search my house for weed because there was a skunk under the neighbor's shed?

Registered
Oh yeah, I'm already breaking in my 5 year old boy to work like a plumber. Simply because it's best for a boy/man to know how to work hard. Also because if he ends up liking plumbing he can probably have a very comfortable life when he grows up. It seems like the way society is these days you need to start them out early before they get brainwashed to go with what ever us popular at that time. Start early just so they at least have a chance to make their own choice.

Registered
.......I can cook, clean, sew, garden, and manage money, but as a kid, when my bike broke I had to figure out how to fix it.
It really bothers me when people are surprised I can do some simple sewing and that I stitch pieces of leather together. It doesn't bother me because it might imply I am feminine, it bothers me because that is a really low bar for the basic utility of the average "modern human". People have been using sinew and the whispy layers of plants to stitch materials for millennia.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

Registered
............Simply because it's best for a boy/man to know how to work hard. ......
I teach girls to use tools the same as the boys, no reason for any of them to be ignorant of their own utility.

Plumbers are essential workers. We provide potable water and removal of waste water/sewage.
It really bothers me when people are surprised I can do some simple sewing and that I stitch pieces of leather together. It doesn't bother me because it might imply I am feminine, it bothers me because that is a really low bar for the basic utility of the average "modern human". People have been using sinew and the whispy layers of plants to stitch materials for millennia.
as a kid, I Had something that had ripped. My grandmother told me she wanted me to sew it back together. I said 鈥渟ewing is for girls!鈥 She said 鈥渙h yeah? Your grandfather Was in the army and they taught him how to sew and fix his clothing!鈥
that was enough for me to think sewing was cool. From there she taught me how to sew, and then use a sewing machine. I don鈥檛 remember how, and I prob couldn鈥檛 use a sewing machine now, but I can stitch and fix by hand almost anything on that level.

there is nothing fem about being able to sew, cook, etc, or put on you sisters dress, what- wait no that was an isolated incident, it鈥檚 basic life skills.
(And actually I鈥檝e found it to be pretty good to impress women that I鈥檝e dated!, well not the dress thing...)
my grandmother could catch, clean and cook a fish better then most men, that didn鈥檛 make her masculine.. it made her cool.
I now ignore shallow people who think that way of others. But I had a prob with that years ago. I have raided my daughter on my own since she was 6. I wouldn鈥檛 go to playgrounds or McDonald鈥檚 on weekends cuz I didn鈥檛 want ppl to think I was just 鈥渆verother weekend dad鈥 cuz I was a real dad. But in the end who cares what they think, it didnt matter!

Super Moderator
And oh, I downloaded official government paperwork and it looks like a kindergarten kid who made it up. No stamps, no government logos.
It asks who the company ...me,
who's the boss... me
Who's the employee...me
Boss phone number...me
employee number... me
Company address...me
Employee address...me

How do you think it will look when a cop see's that? I started carrying my diplomas in the van.

Super Moderator
Plumbers are essential workers. We provide potable water and removal of waste water/sewage.
Yes covid laws says for us we are not allowed to hook up a dishwasher or fridge but maybe we are I'm not sure, it will be determined in court when you are brought up on charges. Not allowed to do preventive maintenance. Customer needs to have his new sink connected tough luck he has to wait if he didn't have a contract date for the hook up if it wasn't signed before the pandemic, they can use the tub to wash the dishes with the kids or something. Not allowed to change a water heater if it hasn't busted but it's 20 years old and your insurance told you they no longer insure you because it's too old. Not allowed to renovate. Some stores refuse to sell customers faucets and toilets pretexting it's not essential, they'll sell you some nachos, chocolate bars, beer and marijuana though because those are essential items.

Don't worry I'm not not an angry guy it's just the constant nonsense that irritating.

Registered
...........Your grandfather Was in the army and they taught him how to sew and fix his clothing!鈥
One of my grandfathers was a ship captain(of huge ships) and would make sails as a hobby and sell them. He also had a 60' sailboat. I have his apron and a bunch of other tools. One thing I've always regretted, when he died my mother wouldn't let me have his 4 foot pipe wrench. He had a steam boiler which he and my uncles would work on themselves.

It's this kind of heritage that my anger for those of you who discount the diy is rooted in. My other grandfather was a farmer and he built, plumbed, and wired two barns and a house. If my ancestors could do that surely the average joe should be expected to install his own darn faucet.

Agreed. Though I have tried with my 12 year old girl and well its just not going to happen.
Yeah, not all the boys want to do "boy stuff" either.

Registered
Yes covid laws says for us we are not allowed to hook up a dishwasher or fridge but maybe we are I'm not sure, it will be determined in court when you are brought up on charges. Not allowed to do preventive maintenance. Customer needs to have his new sink connected tough luck he has to wait if he didn't have a contract date for the hook up if it wasn't signed before the pandemic, they can use the tub to wash the dishes with the kids or something. Not allowed to change a water heater if it hasn't busted but it's 20 years old and your insurance told you they no longer insure you because it's too old. Not allowed to renovate. Some stores refuse to sell customers faucets and toilets pretexting it's not essential, they'll sell you some nachos, chocolate bars, beer and marijuana though because those are essential items.

Don't worry I'm not not an angry guy it's just the constant nonsense that irritating.
Quebec is f#cked, it's business as usual for the trades in Alberta. I have the odd customer ask me to wear a mask, which I do without throwing a tantrum like a petulant child.

Agreed. Though I have tried with my 12 year old girl and well its just not going to happen.

haha, my daughter used to come with me on evening and weekend calls, she 鈥渨anted鈥 to be a plumber until she turned 13-14.. now she is in college for pharma-tech..
but in the end, she still knows how to use tools and build stuff.. many times I鈥檝e come home to her building wood shelves, tables etc, AS her BF of 6 years is playing Xbox- who himself is a 5th plumbing apprentice!!!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts