Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Final product with most everything in the truck... Now that spring is here I am slowly
filling the bins up with goodies.....

·
8,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
It has a lift gate.
I apologize , I have probably said this before.....
It amazes me how much material and how much money you can sink into a van or truck....
I have been collecting things to throw into these bins and if I actually added up every
fitting , it would probably add up to 40k---Everything from water heaters to heater elements, and t stats
down to just plain 1/2 black gas pipe elbows and pvc fittings ....
and they all cost at least a buck each if you had to buy them one at a time..........

I am lucky to have a warehouse full of junk strewn out everywhere and I have been cleaning up and sorting
out things that could come in handy in the new truck... On every job we have done their has always
been a few buckets of stuff brought back to the shop and never sorted out and put away.....
I got pvc fittings that have been laying around since the 80s and 1/2 black gas pipe elbows that have
not seen the light of day since probably 1950... (mostly inherited from grandpa)

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I apologize , I have probably said this before.....
It amazes me how much material and how much money you can sink into a van or truck....
I have been collecting things to throw into these bins and if I actually added up every
fitting , it would probably add up to 40k---Everything from water heaters to heater elements, and t stats
down to just plain 1/2 black gas pipe elbows and pvc fittings ....
and they all cost at least a buck each if you had to buy them one at a time..........

I am lucky to have a warehouse full of junk strewn out everywhere and I have been cleaning up and sorting
out things that could come in handy in the new truck... On every job we have done their has always
been a few buckets of stuff brought back to the shop and never sorted out and put away.....
I got pvc fittings that have been laying around since the 80s and 1/2 black gas pipe elbows that have
not seen the light of day since probably 1950... (mostly inherited from grandpa)
lol..that is the curse...dozes of 5 gallon buckets filled with misc fittings and plumbing stuff that sit around because its easier just to buy new and restock the truck..then when you clean, all the mixed together stuff goes into another bucket and we keep saying we will seperate it and put back on the truck, but that bucket joins all the rest just sitting and waiting..

·
8,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
lol..that is the curse...dozes of 5 gallon buckets filled with misc fittings and plumbing stuff that sit around because its easier just to buy new and restock the truck..then when you clean, all the mixed together stuff goes into another bucket and we keep saying we will seperate it and put back on the truck, but that bucket joins all the rest just sitting and waiting..
Its called ---the curse at the end of the day and you just want to just go home---
I have done a pretty good job so far of just clearing out some of those
buckets yesterday.... filled up a fernco box in the truck for free with
4, 3, 2, 1 1/2 ferncos and some smaller sizes .. Did some stocking of PVC
fittings too.....all free stuff.....

Scrapped a bunch of
faucet seats that weighed about 20 lbs that we have not used in
30 years,,,, lots of those kohler kams and all sorts american standard stems ...
too heavy to put into the new truck and basically worthless to hold on to.....
found some new dial-ease stems which are expensive but will probably never need

We had a whole bucket of old sockets of misc sizes that would have given me
a headache to sort through.....just sitting in the corner for the last 20 years
So they went out to sit by the dumpster and ..
some lucky guy picked them up and now its their problem to sort out
that junk.....

Found a new rigid baby cutter
that had been missing for years buried in the bottom of one bucket....
Those buckets are like the gift that keeps on giving..... 😆

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
Its called ---the curse at the end of the day and you just want to just go home---
I have done a pretty good job so far of just clearing out some of those
buckets yesterday.... filled up a fernco box in the truck for free with
4, 3, 2, 1 1/2 ferncos and some smaller sizes .. Did some stocking of PVC
fittings too.....all free stuff.....

Scrapped a bunch of
faucet seats that weighed about 20 lbs that we have not used in
30 years,,,, lots of those kohler kams and all sorts american standard stems ...
too heavy to put into the new truck and basically worthless to hold on to.....
found some new dial-ease stems which are expensive but will probably never need

We had a whole bucket of old sockets of misc sizes that would have given me
a headache to sort through.....just sitting in the corner for the last 20 years
So they went out to sit by the dumpster and ..
some lucky guy picked them up and now its their problem to sort out
that junk.....

Found a new rigid baby cutter
that had been missing for years buried in the bottom of one bucket....
Those buckets are like the gift that keeps on giving..... 😆
thats what rainy days are for, when I worked for a guy, he had a ton of those buckets filled, so he got a brilliant idea of having all the employees come in on a saturday( with pay) to sort them all out and do a general clean/organization of the shop, halfway through the day he figured out what the labor cost was and how much useful stuff he was saving and said to just scrap it all and be done with it...lol...no more filled buckets and the scrap value didnt even come close to labor costs, but the shop was clean...

·
8,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
thats what rainy days are for, when I worked for a guy, he had a ton of those buckets filled, so he got a brilliant idea of having all the employees come in on a saturday( with pay) to sort them all out and do a general clean/organization of the shop, halfway through the day he figured out what the labor cost was and how much useful stuff he was saving and said to just scrap it all and be done with it...lol...no more filled buckets and the scrap value didnt even come close to labor costs, but the shop was clean...

My labor is free because its all me so its a win win I guess......
Nothing going out on payroll but a lot of money not spent for
junk I already had

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
My labor is free because its all me so its a win win I guess......
Nothing going out on payroll but a lot of money not spent for
junk I already had
same with me, if im bored one day ill dump out a bucket and put away whatever I can for the time I want to kill...hell I got enough to sort through even if I live to 100 or more..

41 - 50 of 50 Posts