Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Office is somewhat clean, but never ever in great shape

Votes: 16 42.1%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today since I'm recovering from some self-inflicted surgery I performed on myself yesterday :blink:

:eek:

I had to stay at bay and take care of at least one area of my office, and basically I'm so far gone with my shennanigans that I wish I could call extreme makeover. I can guarantee I can work it like soda machine at a concert but I'm overwhelmed at this point, completely.

How, such a small area can get so ransacked so quick is unreal, but on the go can be part of it. If for every key I've hit I did something other than look at a screen, it would make a difference.

So here's the questions:

Do you keep organized, take the time to be neat and orderly, or do you realize that after a day's work that it isn't going to kill you that something is out of line.

Do you keep your invoices and paperwork straight?

Can you find everything in a pile of rubble when others think your the next sanford and son?

Of course; it feels good to be organized. It's a ritual. But I've seen people of all walks, all incomes, all demeanors and workers that "some" are driven by what they accomplish in a day and everything else falls to the wayside.

I've seen people as clean as a pin but as uneducated as they get.

I've seen people as dirty as can be but considered some of the nicest and honorable people you've met, and smart to boot.

For the past couple weeks I've been working in this office and even though I'm making progress... it seems almost pointless as I know I'm going to get slammed with all I'm doing, all the time and it's going to get thrown over there (where I know where it's at) and put up on that shelf (where I know it is at) and tucked up over here (if I remember where that is at) and move on with it.

If you have a girlfriend or wife doing all this for you, great. I commend you and the woman's willingness to help out.

But that "clean as a pin" office where the desktop is clean, not even a hint of a snack, grime from your day's work? It's not me folks.

If someone ever broke in my office they wouldn't find anything but dismay, destruction. I could call the cops on a random basis and they'd be nodding their heads, "Occupant states items thrown about, evidence of intruder looking for guns drugs wives and knives. :laughing:

·
Plumbing Contractor
742 Posts
Do you keep organized, take the time to be neat and orderly, or do you realize that after a day's work that it isn't going to kill you that something is out of line.

The second part, it ain't goin to kill me...

Do you keep your invoices and paperwork straight?

Yes, as best as I can

Can you find everything in a pile of rubble when others think your the next sanford and son?

Ya, no problem there

The last time I saw the top of my desk was when it was new 10 years ago. Sometimes I look at my office and think a quick way to clean would be to get a blowtorch and start over.. My front room looks as if a tornado/hurricane just blew threw, hope to have it all organized by spring of the coming year, oh ya I think I may have said something like that last year..:)

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:thumbsup:

You sound just like me. Yes, it takes up mind space that it should look better, but it's manageable and you can stuff in a hurry if you need it, most times.

I'd like to know what the trait is called, other than sloppy that causes some of us to go this way of the unkept.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
My office at the shop is somewhat clean. The home office has piles.

When times are busy a neat office is not a priority.

I look at it like this:

An orderly office is one that you could send a stranger into to get a paper for you. AND they could immediately find it. My offices are not orderly.

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
I'll put it this way...If I meet you and talk to you for over 10 minutes then I prolly have a file with your name on it. I file everything on a weekly basis....and yes I have a file as a catch all until friday then its get put in its proper file. Junk mail doesn't even make it in the house.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
The overwhelming records I am required to keep in orderly fashion for buying and selling full auto weapons has taught me to be extremely tidy when it comes to business related paperwork, all files are returned to where they came from as soon as I am finished with them, and new files get filed where they go the same way. If a BATF agent were to contact me regarding a weapon I sold I better be able to produce records on it in under five minutes, or warrants will be issued.

·
Senior Moment
1,904 Posts
Very messy, yet very organized. Although my office looks like a clusterf#@!, somehow I know where everything is.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I felt so bad writing this thread that I dedicated at least 45 minutes to cleaning probably the easiest spot I had in the office.

It looks good, but my lower back is swelling up and it's one reason I don't like to do it.

All I'm doing though is shovelling it to another part of the shop.

When you reach the point where you've got so much stuff, all you're doing is moving it around in circles, and by the time you get to the beginning it makes you wonder why you even started.

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
When you reach the point where you've got so much stuff, all you're doing is moving it around in circles, and by the time you get to the beginning it makes you wonder why you even started.
You said a mouthful right there. I hate that and it snowballs if you dont address it before it gets too too bad.

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
Our office used to be neat and clean when it was just my mother working in there. Then my dad took over a desk, and taking over more and more of the space with his stuff. I was going to clean out our garage and set up some shelves in the garage and then rearrange the office so my mom and dad can have their own space.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I keep everything as neat and organized as possible. The minute I see my desk and print/heatloss table getting out of control, I make sure that I clean the entire thing out that Saturday or Sunday.

I clean the shop/fabrication area of my shop weekly, usually. If we are in the middle of a large project, then I clean it bi-weekly.

I clean out my truck and tools daily. I wash it bi-weekly.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,619 Posts
my cell phone is my best employee

I do most of everything myself....

the only clutter on my desk are a large stack of checks about 2 inchs high that need to be posted on Quick Books and put in the bank...

I dont want or need to hire a secretary to do that work for me either....

Have all my records on Quickbooks , which is a god send from heaven

I would rather do it all myself that to trust anyone,

I Trust NO ONE with the books...
and from hearing nightmare horror stories over the years

I realize that I could actually lose 10,000 in unpaid or un-collected bills every year and it still would be cheaper than having to hire someone to do the billing paperwork

my cell phone is my office that I carry around with me...
we pay an answering serivce to take our calls and text them to us like .......real fast...

I probably only have 2k in unpaid bills for the past 2 years..
so I cant justify having another "pain in the ass" employee to
train and then baby sit.. and watch the money for me....

oops wants tomorrow off..... needs all of next week off,
cant get in today, car is broke down... ect ect....
can I get my paycheck early this week.???
I need a raise and medicle benefits or I will quit...

when I leave I will screw up you books so bad you
will go cross eyed trying to figure them out....

my cell phone never calls in sick, never asks for a raise,
it dont need good medicle benefits...only an occasioinal battery....
and it only wants to be plugged into the electrical outlet every night....

I do use some Armor All cleaner on it every so often
to make it look spankey clean and happy.......

DUNBAR......god I love me cell phone..:thumbup:

lets have a national cell phone appreciation day......
d

1 - 12 of 12 Posts