Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMO this is the best cutter a plumber can have.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When there new and real sharp, you can use then to cleanly cut tubular drains, you have to circle the tubular for it to work thou, slowly, going to fast will shatter them or too much pressure being apply will also crack or shatter them. Beats the heck out of using a saw, and no pipe shaving to clean up.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
IMO this is the best cutter a plumber can have.

Love mine, except less than a year old, one of the keeper rings on the ratcheting handle broke. :cry:
The pin keeps slipping out and it's not very easy to cut with like that.

P.S. have you tried sharpening the blade with a regular knife sharpener? I keep meaning to try it.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These will cut 1-1/2 Pex with ease, better then the quick cut cutter.

·
Residential Plumber
165 Posts
I only use up to 1" PEX, I Find the normal Ridgid pex cutters to be feasible, and they are cheap it more or less depends on your job.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
hey ron, have you found a source for parts for the victor cutter? we've had 3 break in 2 months!!!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You mean the cutter it's self? Supply houses sell just the cutter, if the tool it's self is broke, get a new one, that's what I do anyways.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
You mean the cutter it's self? Supply houses sell just the cutter, if the tool it's self is broke, get a new one, that's what I do anyways.
Thats what I figured, but it was worth a shot. Thats what we've been doing too. Seems a shame to throw a $60 tool away because of a silly little spring though....

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can still use mine even if the spring fails. Just requires a little help.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
This is similar to the one I use. There is more of a point to pierce the pipe, allowing for an easy cut. It has never compressed the pipe at all, just slides right through it. The large frame helps make square cuts.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I can't recall the exact model, but Ridgid just came out with a set of improved Pex cutters with a grey housing and a serious metal blade - no ratcheting required. They cut a nice square end (bought a set a few monthes ago) and they cut much better than the red bodied plastic Ridgid versions (or no name version copy cat's).

For PVC/CPVC/ABS 3" and less as well as Fusiotherm which my company uses with the exception of the SDR 7.4 which is too thick (ridgid plastic pipe mostly), I like to use my Ridgid 151 (1/2" to 1") or 153 (1" to 3") Copper cutters with a plastic wheel. Nice, perfect, even square ends and no burrs. Yes you should file them though to reduce the evacuation of the glue but still much nicer than a hack saw in my opinion.

I've used the ratcheting versions above on Fusiotherm which is a German polypropolene on the 3 different types of their pipe we use (SDR 11 for cold water, SDR 7.4 for hot water, their Climatherm for heating mains) and they're good cutters but they don't cut as square of an end as the Ridgid 151's or 153's.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where do they sell this one?

I have not seen it around......:yes:
All my suppliers have them, or you can get them online.

·
Registered
50 Posts
QUOTED:
Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber
IMO this is the best cutter a plumber can have

YEAH BUT DOES IT TRIM MONKEY TOENAILS :blink:

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTED:
Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber
IMO this is the best cutter a plumber can have

YEAH BUT DOES IT TRIM MONKEY TOENAILS :blink:
It will cut right though your fingernail if your not watching what your doing, the auto close feature can catch you off guard.

Reactions: Flyguy199
1 - 20 of 35 Posts