Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1461 - 1480 of 1486 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,461 ·
Got up to find 117 likes, I was like WTF a spammer had fun while I was away? Nope it was the Dane! I thought I was writing these stories for only for a few people, now 1 more. Cool! :p

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Got up to find 117 likes, I was like WTF a spammer had fun while I was away? Nope it was the Dane! I thought I was writing these stories for only for a few people, now 1 more. Cool! :p
Actually I meant to "like" every single post you made in that thread as you deserve it for the intertainment. Well I there are 1400 post in there and I fell asleep after like 300. Figured if you call me out on my laziness when it comes to likes I'll just correct that mistake. Now if you'd like I can go do the rest too?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,463 ·
Here is the exact wording I just used on a Facebook message I got from a potential new customer. I changed only the price, name and location

My reply to original request for wether we do dishwasher installs:

With plumbing there are too many variables to give a price job unseen. Any job outside of ----- we charge a $?? trip charge to come and diagnose what is needed and provide a set price. If we do any work that trip charge will be waived. As for cutting the cupboard it really depends on what exactly is needed as we some times will do a little work to make things fit but if it's too involved we leave it up for a professional carpenter to do as that is not our specialty.

Customers reply to me:

I see! Thank you! Makes sense! I have not yet purchased a dishwasher but I was going to wait to see what would fit and such. I have never had one and with 3 small children I’ve decided it’s time could I set up a time for one of your guys to come take a look to see what I can get/ what I need? I’m in -----. You can get back to me, I know it’s late Friday PM. No rush at all. I just actually posted on Facebook to see if anyone knew of anyone and a few people had recommended you guys!

If I get this kind of message in my area it means come and see first and talk me for half an hour of what dishwasher I need, what'll you'll do etc. This consultation will be free because you didn't do any work that day. Trip charge, what's that trip charge?? You said 49$ was for the job and you waive the trip charge today.

Here's the best example this guy didn't beat around the bush. You can't be more upfront looking for a hack, cash under the table job.

What is your hourly rate? Available for a quote this weekend? Reno bathroom, replacement of plumbing pipes which makes noise because of the pressure, verification of plumbing event, installation of sink and faucet with pipe connection with anti-ram device, dishwasher connection. Thank you

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
If I get this kind of message in my area it means come and see first and talk me for half an hour of what dishwasher I need, what'll you'll do etc. This consultation will be free because you didn't do any work that day. Trip charge, what's that trip charge?? You said 49$ was for the job and you waive the trip charge today.

Here's the best example this guy didn't beat around the bush. You can't be more upfront looking for a hack, cash under the table job.

What is your hourly rate? Available for a quote this weekend? Reno bathroom, replacement of plumbing pipes which makes noise because of the pressure, verification of plumbing event, installation of sink and faucet with pipe connection with anti-ram device, dishwasher connection. Thank you
Oh boy Tango I think you eihter have some super different culture or language up there. I saw no, upfront looking for hack or under the table indication.

He asks for an hourly price and then for your availability to do a quote. Nothing wrong with that. Yes he asked if you were avaliable on the weekend for a quote but people work and a lot of companies are open on weekends.

Asking for your hourly rate is a fair question as its their simplest way to compare you to other plumbers. With thus they can tell if you are so high that they don't think it's reasonable or if you are the lowest in case money are their biggest concern, or simply compare by saying you are $20/h more expensive than my other quote but I think it's a reasonable price as you seemed more professional.

If you were to get 3 quotes for a new roof and you get 3000 / 3600 / 4100. Even without an hourly rate you are still using price to compare and eihter you go with the cheapest as price is your only concern or you go with the highest as you want the best money can buy or you pick the middle because he seemed much more professional than the lowest and you did not thing the highest was any more professional and did not offer much more to justify their higher price.

People are conditioned to thinking of Labor as hourly as its simply easier to compare vs a flat rate. They think all plumbers are generally evenly fast so easy to compare. Flat rate yes you can compare the price but hiw do you compare that in one price new stops are included and the guy puts down dropcloths and wears booties where as the other guy puts his crusty pliers on the granite top and tracks in mud. I know it can be explained or put on the quote but over the phone the customer has no way really to compare.

I myself will also over the phone ask a contractor if he might have a rough idea of what it might cost me. I don't ask the hourly rate just fir a rough idea and let them know I'm fully aware it's not the final price. I would simply like to not worry too much for too long or waste anyone's time in case I get a price range and it's outside of my budget.

Now for around here sure we have a few like yours but only few. Most are practical hardworking honest people here. I was actually very worried how people here would take my way of pricing but for next week I landed a nice remodel that should end up making me an hourly rate double of what my previous boss would have been. This trip charge example was actually the first time I tried it and no problem at all. She understands that I have time and gas involved in it and can't give a price for what I haven't seen. She sees the value in me coming out and getting her a set price so she knows for sure and won't have to worry about vague ideas of time and hourly and she also gets a definitive answer on whether her plan would work or maybe I have a better suggestion for what would work.

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,465 ·
Oh boy Tango I think you eihter have some super different culture or language up there. I saw no, upfront looking for hack or under the table indication.

He asks for an hourly price and then for your availability to do a quote. Nothing wrong with that. Yes he asked if you were avaliable on the weekend for a quote but people work and a lot of companies are open on weekends.

Asking for your hourly rate is a fair question as its their simplest way to compare you to other plumbers. With thus they can tell if you are so high that they don't think it's reasonable or if you are the lowest in case money are their biggest concern, or simply compare by saying you are $20/h more expensive than my other quote but I think it's a reasonable price as you seemed more professional.

If you were to get 3 quotes for a new roof and you get 3000 / 3600 / 4100. Even without an hourly rate you are still using price to compare and eihter you go with the cheapest as price is your only concern or you go with the highest as you want the best money can buy or you pick the middle because he seemed much more professional than the lowest and you did not thing the highest was any more professional and did not offer much more to justify their higher price.

People are conditioned to thinking of Labor as hourly as its simply easier to compare vs a flat rate. They think all plumbers are generally evenly fast so easy to compare. Flat rate yes you can compare the price but hiw do you compare that in one price new stops are included and the guy puts down dropcloths and wears booties where as the other guy puts his crusty pliers on the granite top and tracks in mud. I know it can be explained or put on the quote but over the phone the customer has no way really to compare.

I myself will also over the phone ask a contractor if he might have a rough idea of what it might cost me. I don't ask the hourly rate just fir a rough idea and let them know I'm fully aware it's not the final price. I would simply like to not worry too much for too long or waste anyone's time in case I get a price range and it's outside of my budget.

Now for around here sure we have a few like yours but only few. Most are practical hardworking honest people here. I was actually very worried how people here would take my way of pricing but for next week I landed a nice remodel that should end up making me an hourly rate double of what my previous boss would have been. This trip charge example was actually the first time I tried it and no problem at all. She understands that I have time and gas involved in it and can't give a price for what I haven't seen. She sees the value in me coming out and getting her a set price so she knows for sure and won't have to worry about vague ideas of time and hourly and she also gets a definitive answer on whether her plan would work or maybe I have a better suggestion for what would work.

You have to remember when I get a message it comes from the free pirate's palace ads. It's where all the pirates hang out.
Now because of this very well known place, when someone asks to come over for a quote over the weekend that means the guy is looking for an under the table plumber or hack because that's what side jobs are. If you think any companies give free estimates on the weekend that would be a no. All construction companies and all services are closed except stores for groceries and merchandise. The ones that are open are for emergency services and even then most of them don't even pick up the phone. People know this very well.

After many times that I went out to see these jobs and even from caller outside these ads, the majority of people thought a complete gut bathroom reno was less than 1000$, many thought a complete gut reno including fixtures in their head was about 500$. I completely stopped this reno thing. Now I'm service only.

Plus the very few people who weren't price ignorant, the other contractors had their prices so low they cut corners so bad there weren't any vents and nothing to code and their prices lower than what it costs to have an employee. It was a losing battle every single time and I wasted so much time going to see these places and wasting a full day for each estimates. Service only.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
You have to remember when I get a message it comes from the free pirate's palace ads. It's where all the pirates hang out.
Now because of this very well known place, when someone asks to come over for a quote over the weekend that means the guy is looking for an under the table plumber or hack because that's what side jobs are. If you think any companies give free estimates on the weekend that would be a no. All construction companies and all services are closed except stores for groceries and merchandise. The ones that are open are for emergency services and even then most of them don't even pick up the phone. People know this very well.

After many times that I went out to see these jobs and even from caller outside these ads, the majority of people thought a complete gut bathroom reno was less than 1000$, many thought a complete gut reno including fixtures in their head was about 500$. I completely stopped this reno thing. Now I'm service only.

Plus the very few people who weren't price ignorant, the other contractors had their prices so low they cut corners so bad there weren't any vents and nothing to code and their prices lower than what it costs to have an employee. It was a losing battle every single time and I wasted so much time going to see these places and wasting a full day for each estimates. Service only.
I must correct you there as I'm a company and I just went to look at 2 jobs yesterday. 1 because the husband could not be home in normal business hours. The other one is a big remodel I will be starting on Monday and the lady had some extra questions because she changed something and wanted to know the exact layout we would now go with so she could get the floor torn out and ready for me for Monday. That was the headroom job and I'm glad to say we ended up being able to move it out from the sloped ceiling enough to be almost up to code on height which I'm ok with. That one is kind of an interesting job as the lady is deaf, single mother doing most of a full gut house remodel herself. Also because it was my first real bid experience bigger than a normal service call.

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,467 ·
Let Go Da Pipe, Wat Again!!

Another tub/shower replacement, the guy thought it was easy to swap it out, just twist the spout, all that's needed you know, that’s what they say... Nope it sheared off so he went to the hardware store and they sold him a SB coupling, you know it's like duct tape it fixes everything. So he gave up the wife called me to book an appointment and 6 hours later a guy called for the same problem, he called too! Did he try to double book several companies and cancel?

Anyway he thought all I had to do was put on the SB and the valve magically gets swapped out. Ah no I have to cut the wall.

Anyway as I’m working the tub stub out something moved on the other side, and I was like now what I’ve seen this before, it was a furry paw this time, a cat! I indulged and poked the paw a couple times... I went on the other side to see the culprit, the cat had some someone to play with, he stopped by often to check on the progress and get a rub.

Got paid, no whining. A day without whinners and cool cats is a good day.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
My soap opera today comes from three customers that saw me at the Ford dealership a couple months ago. Now in the last day I’ve had 6 people make the comments about my price. A couple of contractors really got me mad. Every year they spend money on themselves but b!tch at me for two of us going to do a trim out. Sad thing is my rates haven’t changed in over a year.

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,469 · (Edited)
My soap opera today comes from three customers that saw me at the Ford dealership a couple months ago. Now in the last day I’ve had 6 people make the comments about my price. A couple of contractors really got me mad. Every year they spend money on themselves but b!tch at me for two of us going to do a trim out. Sad thing is my rates haven’t changed in over a year.
Are you are missing a portion of the stories out? It's confusing.

Price complaints, I get it every week, several times a week. Monday I had to unclog a tub and the guy had bought the fairy tale drain opener and a "zip" stick, the 15$ snake and couldn't get it open. As usual I told him MINIMUM 1 HR charge on the phone. On site he asked what the signature was for and showed him the fees. I got it cleared in 5 minutes including getting the tools from the van and he biatched about the bill! I'm fed up with their $hit and I'm not going to be nice anymore and tell them straight up hey did I tell you the price on the phone? They will say yes so I will reply I don't need your attitude.

Stoopid people can't appreciate me arriving on time, putting on my indoor shoes and getting it done quickly and professionally.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It should have said those 3 customers plus 3 contractors. The 3 customers have been customers for years, just haven’t done work for them in the past 3 years. So yes in 2 years the service rate went up, so did fuel, so did insurance so did coffee. It just makes me laugh when people go on and on about prices.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I TOLD YOU SO.....5 AND 2 AND 1 years ago....

Very old customer, been there three previous times to snake the main going out. Been there a several times to replace leaking and clogged cast iron and galv sections. The last 20' of pipe starts on top of the edge of the crawl slab and the last 5' is below the crawl slab before leaving the foundation, it has all spplit on top, some places large enough for your hand. When the line clogs sewage would fill the crawl. They wouldn't notice for a long time because the liquid coming out would soak into the gravel of the foundation. When I finally got there to snake it, it would be a real slog because of all the packed solids. I have been telling them for years to replace the line.

I tried snaking the line tuesday, as I have done in the past and found the line had collapsed shortly before the tank, now it's suddenly an emergency. The homeowner called their landscaper who assured them they could handle it. The homeowner wanted me to run the pipe but I was already booked for wednesday with 7 calls. I still ended up there after only a couple other calls, my manager showed up to check on the excavator and had to give them a level. My manager was appalled at the piping job so much that we couldn't let it be buried. The dumb phuck excavator broke the pipe off at the wall. Boy do I love that diamond blade for the angle grinder.

I still have to go back and replace most of the waste line in the basement as a lot of the cast has split, including the last 20' that disappears into the crawlspace slab. I will likely raise all of the piping going back 60' in the basement to avoid busting up the crawl slab, instead making a new hole above the slab going through the foundation. I had them leave the last 10' of trench open so I can add a cleanout outside and run a new pipe through the foundation as the old one is split on top going through. The homeowner is 93 and was counting on dying before having to replace the line. I told them it couldn't wait this time, I don't hate telling them I told you so.....

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,472 ·
I TOLD YOU SO.....5 AND 2 AND 1 years ago....

Very old customer, been there three previous times to snake the main going out. Been there a several times to replace leaking and clogged cast iron and galv sections. The last 20' of pipe starts on top of the edge of the crawl slab and the last 5' is below the crawl slab before leaving the foundation, it has all spplit on top, some places large enough for your hand. When the line clogs sewage would fill the crawl. They wouldn't notice for a long time because the liquid coming out would soak into the gravel of the foundation. When I finally got there to snake it, it would be a real slog because of all the packed solids. I have been telling them for years to replace the line.

I tried snaking the line tuesday, as I have done in the past and found the line had collapsed shortly before the tank, now it's suddenly an emergency. The homeowner called their landscaper who assured them they could handle it. The homeowner wanted me to run the pipe but I was already booked for wednesday with 7 calls. I still ended up there after only a couple other calls, my manager showed up to check on the excavator and had to give them a level. My manager was appalled at the piping job so much that we couldn't let it be buried. The dumb phuck excavator broke the pipe off at the wall. Boy do I love that diamond blade for the angle grinder.

I still have to go back and replace most of the waste line in the basement as a lot of the cast has split, including the last 20' that disappears into the crawlspace slab. I will likely raise all of the piping going back 60' in the basement to avoid busting up the crawl slab, instead making a new hole above the slab going through the foundation. I had them leave the last 10' of trench open so I can add a cleanout outside and run a new pipe through the foundation as the old one is split on top going through. The homeowner is 93 and was counting on dying before having to replace the line. I told them it couldn't wait this time, I don't hate telling them I told you so.....
Disgusting, I salute you for this kind of job.

I refused 2 jobs today, one of them they told me the main stack was broken at the tub level. When I got the pic I did not want a hell job today.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Disgusting, I salute you for this kind of job.

I refused 2 jobs today, one of them they told me the main stack was broken at the tub level. When I got the pic I did not want a hell job today.
I hosed the crawl down and threw some bleach in after I snaked it that day, I was not going to go in there with it a mess like that. I am not going there tomorrow so it will have had at least 6 days to "cool down". It's not a bad crawl, the one side is completely open, the floor is cement, and the liquid all drains.

I did tell tell the aide they could shower while I was working on the line so the trench was a bit muddy.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Are you are missing a portion of the stories out? It's confusing.

Price complaints, I get it every week, several times a week. Monday I had to unclog a tub and the guy had bought the fairy tale drain opener and a "zip" stick, the 15$ snake and couldn't get it open. As usual I told him MINIMUM 1 HR charge on the phone. On site he asked what the signature was for and showed him the fees. I got it cleared in 5 minutes including getting the tools from the van and he biatched about the bill! I'm fed up with their $hit and I'm not going to be nice anymore and tell them straight up hey did I tell you the price on the phone? They will say yes so I will reply I don't need your attitude.

Stoopid people can't appreciate me arriving on time, putting on my indoor shoes and getting it done quickly and professionally.
I tell them it looks easy and fast cause we know what we are doing and have expensive equipment to do the job correctly

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,475 ·
What a day, 4 jobs, 2 price whinners.

One of them complained another company made them wait 2 weeks and didn't show up but eventually I found out she was lying. At first she cried out at the price, well mam continue shopping if you don't like it. The 2 women were also germaphobe, One of the 2 was the lieutenant 10 feet away, putting lysol everywhere I went and she would phone the other woman upstairs for updates. She said that covid would kill the one hanging upstairs right away. They were damn aggressive with their banter. She didn't believe me my new washer box was leak free so she had me undo the laundry hoses. I handed her the bill more comments I didn't need. Now banned with DNA

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
What a day, 4 jobs, 2 price whinners.

One of them complained another company made them wait 2 weeks and didn't show up but eventually I found out she was lying. At first she cried out at the price, well mam continue shopping if you don't like it. The 2 women were also germaphobe, One of the 2 was the lieutenant 10 feet away, putting lysol everywhere I went and she would phone the other woman upstairs for updates. She said that covid would kill the one hanging upstairs right away. They were damn aggressive with their banter. She didn't believe me my new washer box was leak free so she had me undo the laundry hoses. I handed her the bill more comments I didn't need. Now banned with DNA
Dang tango you pissing them all off up north aren't ya?? Lolololololo

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
57698294-E83C-4CFA-A5D8-208607E83440.jpeg

Last week I got called for a leak when they flushed the one toilet at the North end of the house.You flushed it and wait 2 minutes and it showed up in the sump pit. The homeowner told Me they have had this issue for 2 years and already had insurance involved.The disaster restoration company yold the adjuster that they needed new interior footing drains and a second sump. Two weeks ago it started smelling so they called me. I dug up and inspected the sewer as the outlet was behind a custom shower. Found rotten copper in the cinder Block wall. Long story short, custom shower had to be gutted, found a old non filled septic tank and insurance is demanding they won’t cover a dime even though their specialist mid diagnosed the problem.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
............ and insurance is demanding they won’t cover a dime even though their specialist mid diagnosed the problem.
So what you're saying is, the homeowners need to have a lawyer write a nice letter to their insurance company.

Reactions: Tango

·
4th year apprentice
601 Posts
I have seen them refuse to cover things that the customer knew about but let go on without addressing it until it turned into a bigger more expensive problem. Believe me I am no fan of insurance companies, but that seems reasonable to me. It's not their fault the homeowner is a moron.

1461 - 1480 of 1486 Posts